[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/. I got a cockatiel almost 3 weeks ago now and I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: test.jpg (93KB, 1231x1080px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
93KB, 1231x1080px
Hey /an/. I got a cockatiel almost 3 weeks ago now and I'd say taming him went pretty well so far. He first got on my hand after a week and now he does it quite easily (as long as I have millets). I tried doing it without food but he'd bite me and won't be on my hand for more than 10 secs. Is this normal for three weeks in? Am I being too pushy? How should I get him used to being on my hand without food? Anyone got cockatiel taming experience?
>>
It's pretty good he got on your hand so fast at all.

3 weeks is still very early. Lots of parrots are pissy while inside their cage and sometimes they won't get over that at all. But its too early to worry about that anyway.

Encourage him to come out on his own by leaving the cage open. When he is comfortable outside of it, remove him from the room the cage its in and he is rely on you. Hands will be less scarier to them if they aren't inside the cage.

Also is his wings clipped? If so I wouldn't remove him from the room his cage is in until or if he knows how to actually fly and not crash into everything.
>>
>>2477412
He went out of the cage/room a couple of times, though it wasn't voluntarily most of the times. I sometimes left some millets outside of his cage and he got out to get some and went in again as he pleased.
His wings aren't clipped (anymore). He flew a couple of times around the room, but nothing bad happened. I close the curtains before I let him go so he won't fly in any windows etc.
Regarding the cage, cockatiels are pretty terroritorial, no?
>>
>>2477469
What's your room like? Or the room his cage is in. Like beds, chairs, couches, etc. For flighty or birds that aren't used to be handled or flying, I use a fairly empty room that has a fridge, washing machine and dryer. I put towels over the surfaces so they don't slide when they land. There's also a window with a good curtain bar to land on. It's where I take my lovebirds to fly around and where I use so they could get both exercise and learn to fly better without wiping out. They still don't appreciate hands but they will fly to my head, shoulder, arm, chest, etc.

Just make sure there is no places for him to get stuck behind and enough places for him to land safely if he freaks out. I personally think it's safer for flighty birds to have their wings clipped and also clipped birds will rely on you. They don't like to be on the ground, they will come to you for height and they will stay on you when they realize they can't just launch off of you.

But your cockatiel honestly sounds like he is doing good progress. Three weeks is nothing and it's great he will get on your hand at all, even only with food. Just keep offering him food and entice him outside the cage. Close it sometimes so he has to hang out outside the cage. He just has to learn outside the cage is safe and that you and your hand is safe. Don't grab at him at all unless you have too.

Pretty much all birds can be very cage territorial. Some birds will always be bitey assholes inside a cage but be perfect sweethearts once outside of it. This can go for parakeets to macaws(I have owned parakerts, tiels and birdsat large parrots). He might not get over it but just keep offering treats inside the cage slowly if you really want to work on cage aggression but again, it's only been three weeks. You're doing just fine.
>>
>>2477502
Also thought I'd mention to watch out for blood feathers when he is molting. I got my first cockatiel when I was 9, had her for 17 years but a few years after I got her she got spooked in her cage one night and when i checked on her there was blood fucking everywhere. I bugged out and a midnight vet visit ended up with she just broke a blood feather in her wing. They're pin feathers that are newly grown in and developing. They have a blood vein in them and when they break, they bleed a fuck ton. I didn't know that as a kid but it turned out you can just pluck that feather out and put a little corn starch on it otherwise it'll just keep bleeding everywhere. Probably won't happen unless he bugs the fuck out in his cage during molt but it may save you some panic if it happens.
>>
>>2477506
Thanks for the advice mang. He doesn't really freak out in his cage, apart from falling that is.

The room he has flewn in so far was my living room- sofa, small table, TV cabinet, you name it. So far he has landed pretty well, also on wood surfaces and stuff. But I'll put some blankets down, that's a good idea.
I'll just keep up what I'm doing and hopefully I'll have a qt lil tame birb in a while.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.