[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2017 >try to adopt a dog so go to rescue shelters near

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: 1481956144838.gif (2MB, 350x197px) Image search: [Google]
1481956144838.gif
2MB, 350x197px
>2017
>try to adopt a dog so go to rescue shelters near me on petfinder
>need to fill in an applications to adopt the dog
>shit is more in depth than an SF-86
>they need to visit my house before they can give me any dog
>random visits anytime they want in the dogs life
>literally go through all of that, a few places in person
>don't get called back, see the same dogs still on their webpages months later
>end up getting frustrated and going to the local dog pound
>as soon as I walk into view the dog kennels, there is sad music playing like in that commercial that asks for donations. I almost broke out laughing at how fucking ridiculous that was
>they only had five or six crates with really fucked up (missing eyes, or a leg) 5 years or older pitbulls
>give up and go to dog store supplied by puppy mill
>Get a nice dog, talked out of few dogs when the store manager described their temperament.
>asked things relevant to dog ownership, helpful customer care, finally find a dog and spend two hours at the store hanging out with him and looking at things I would take for him
>happy ever since

Moral of the story, shelters might as well be crazy dog ladies or put all their dogs down. Still upset about it to this day. Thought it would be an entertaining story to read.
>>
>>2476822
Post pup or gtfo
>>
>>2476822
I'm looking to get a dog at the moment & reading through the application process for these shelters is ridiculous. It's been forever since I had a pet, I don't have a vet reference for you or 3 personal references or my DNA or whatever else they claim to need. Hell, I'm willing to give you money & take an animal out of your shelter, why does everything have to be so damn complicated these days.
>>
>>2476822
In contrast, you used to be able to pay $20 to board an airline, not provide an ID, carry anything you wanted with you because they didn't do luggage checks yet, and smoke during your flight.

Now you have to provide multiple DNA samples along with 10 professional references and submit to mandatory criminal background checks just to get a mutt. We're almost regressing as a society.
>>
>>2476822
It's almost as if you're being given the responsibility to take care of a living being and not just buying a new harem anime figurine.
>>
>>2476974
It's a dog, bruh. Hospitals don't make you jump through so many hoops to take home your kid after your wife pops one out.
>>
>I am mad that people don't let me do want I want to do at this very moment
>>
>>2476982
that's because the child inherently belongs to you.
>>
>>2476991
That's a big assumption on the hospital's part.
>>
America

The shelters in Canada except in shitty cities are fantastic. They take an application but it isn't too long.
>>
>>2476993
no.
>>
>>2476987
>months later
>>
>>2476822
Similar thing has happened to me a few times, in the case of trying to adopt dogs. The ridiculous part is I know a friend who went to a private rescue group, asked about two specific dogs and was told he'd only be "considered" if he first fostered this one dog. He did... for several months. The dog was very emotionally damaged and from a legal stand point maybe should have been put down (it tried to rip the throat out of any dog it came in contact with, so had to be isolated and kept muzzled when in public). Then, then they kept extending the fostering. So my friend said "fine, let me adopt this one so I can at least take her to the vet if she gets sick". They suddenly wanted the dog back. They started showing up at the house, tried to climb in the backyard, all that fun. Finally my friend offered them basically a oversized bribe to let him have the dog and for them to leave him alone. They took it... but then kept e-mailing him as a form of "welfare check-in". Luckily my friend and the damaged dog bounded famously, which is why he kept her and gave her the best forever home.
>>
>>2477029
>They started showing up at the house, tried to climb in the backyard, all that fun.

That's when you call the police and get restraining orders. Or a gun.
>>
>>2476822
>my individual experiance with a single shit tier rescue center and a single pound is surely indicitive to everyone else's else''s experiance.

Yeah no fuck off lad.
>>
>>2476822
Yeah you are really better off trying to find a shelter. Rescue groups can be more selective because their dogs are in foster homes, leading to a bigger sense of complacency. That being said, the applications dont really matter that much i put "dont have a vet" on mine and was approved.
>>
>>2476973
That's what happens when multiple generations refuse to have any responsibility in their lives
>>
>>2476993
Lol
>>2476991
A dog can belong to a piece of shit dog owner that doesn't believe in taking your dog to the vet or having him inside. Same as a lady that pops out a child doesn't mean she's a good parent just cuz she popped it out. Don't you agree if there was a qualified parent screening process to have a kid the worldwould be better off? Financial, mental, and criminal checks? That'd be nice. Then we wouldn't have to deal with so many shit heads
>>
>>2477254
>Financial, mental, and criminal checks?

It should be mandatory. This isn't the middle ages anymore when we need as many extra hands as possible to keep our species afloat. We're already vastly overpopulated and need to be more selective now.
>>
>>2476822
>go to pet store or shelter to adopt cat
>fit out 1 page about how often you work, age etc.
>pay $100 for vaccinations and neutering/spaying
>get cat
>end of story
>>
>go to animal shelter for a pupper to play with my rottweiler pupperoni
>adopting costs nearly as much as a purebred pupper
>buy a long haired Germand Shepard instead

Still sad about that pupper in the shelter, he was so nice
>>
>>2477556
>pay $100 for vaccinations and neutering/spaying

Wait, you pay the pet store to do it?
>>
>>2477556
>$100 for a cat
You got ripped off dude.
>>
>>2477561
Don't worry about it, he was put down by now because no one adopted him.
>>
The shelters in my town you literally just take the dog but you HAVE to "Donate" $50 which isn't terrible but still.
>>
File: 1468743117859.jpg (90KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1468743117859.jpg
90KB, 500x667px
posters ITT should really indicate what country they're living in as animal welfare laws and thuns shelter / rescue groups' standards will vary wildly

also, I saved this funny picture of a dog sitting in front of a picture of himself sitting like he is right now but already painted from the internet to my computer and will share it with my cyberfriends ITT :)
>>
>>2477561
OP here. Are you in the northeast too?
I forgot to mention that the adoption fees at the humane society were over $600 too.

>>2477631
I'm in connecticut but I drove around to visit and contact rescue shelters in mass, NY, and rhode island.
This story was from january till mid summer to give some perspective.

I understand the concern people have, but its not like I'm a deadbeat. To give some relevant info of what type of person these places around here turn down, I live in a house with a fenced in yard. I'm married in my late 20's and in the navy, no kids. Any of those rescue dogs would have had a great life if the crazy middle aged women there were actually willing to let them go.

Maybe it just turns out that way given the adoption shelters are less official than the places I was used to seeing as a kid when getting a dog, which were humane society pounds actually interested in getting dogs adopted. The shelters just looked like someone's house running a shady operation.
>>
>>2477869
No im in Eastern Europe
>>
I don't get it, OP. Why not buy a puppy from a good breeder instead of a puppy mill. Price is basically the same but you're getting a healthier animal--puppy mill dogs that are sold in pet stores are often unhealthy and have genetic problems because puppy mills aren't selecting for health or temperament, they're just churning out dogs as fast as possible, undiscerning.
>>
>>2477556
>cat
This is about dogs dude. You can get a cat anywhere in 10 minutes.
>>
>>2476822
Sounds like a liberal state.
>>
>>2478282
>Price is basically the same but you're getting a healthier animal--puppy mill dogs that are sold in pet stores are often unhealthy and have genetic problems because puppy mills aren't selecting for health or temperament, they're just churning out dogs as fast as possible, undiscerning.
literally none of that is true
>>
>>2478687
How so? Puppy mills generally don't health test their dogs, good breeders do. I've seen puppy mill puppies in pet stores for as much as $1k-$3k, rarely if ever under $1k.
>>
>>2478949
Why the fuck would anyone pay that fucking much for a fucking dog
>>
>>2477544
>I want a government to have full controll over my gonads
>>
File: Ser Pounce.jpg (15KB, 328x278px) Image search: [Google]
Ser Pounce.jpg
15KB, 328x278px
I'm in PA and the adoption process for my dog was pretty easy. Went in, hung out with the dog for 2 hours, filled out the forms, paid like $200, and took him home the same day. I didn't even mind the price because it is a no kill shelter and they take in from over crowded shelters. Pic related. That's him.
>>
>>2478982
Supply and demand
>>
>>2478982
When you look at all the useless crap people would shell out money for, dogs that provide happiness and companionship for 10+ years should be the least of your concerns.
>>
Why do shelters ask for so much money? Isnt their goal to get people to adopt instead of buying dogs?
Maybe if they would ask less than the price of a purebreed GS pupper it would work..
>>
>>2479212
From what I've seen, most places do it to cover the cost of food, board, and vet bills for the animal. To help with this, a lot of shelters have local events where fees are waived or reduced. My local shelter had a recent event where the fees were all $20 for a day.
>>
>walk into a mom and pop pet store
>shelter is outside with puppies
>walk out
>"just take one we have too many fucking dogs"
>sign my name
>I have a second dog now I guess

This was 6 years ago but still. I've adopted from shelters before and they said they would do hone visits and shit but I'd just walk in and walk out with a dog. Which is fine because i lied about my fence being 6ft tall anyway.
>>
>>2479212
If you don't live a completely garbage city adopts are much cheaper than buying
>>
>>2479237
I live in a total garbage country
>>
>>2478999
If you want to have kids you should have to prove you're capable of actually raising them. Employers test you and do background checks before they let you work a register, and that's a lot less serious than raising a kid.
>>
>makes adoption process as hard as possible, and makes up bullshit like "fostering"

>why don't people adopt animals? Are we not guilt tripping them enough?
>>
>>2476822
I care about animals as much as anyone, but I'm with you on this one OP, shelters are getting rediculous with their requirements. Many put those up simply because the people running the place have huge emotional issues and don't want to release the pets because "no one is good enough"

If it's legal to declaw cats than by the same logic we should be a little more permissive when adopting out animals
>>
>>2479300
>adopt cat after 10,000 hours of paperwork
>promise not to declaw it
>declaw it
>shelter tries to steal my cat back
>>
We got our greatest ever dog (chow mix) from the humane society. It was a rescue dog from hurricane katrina.

I tried going back to the humane society and all they have nowadays are pit bulls and pit bull mixes. I blame TV shows. They talk about how such great pets they are. They aren't.
>>
>>2477556
my story
>go to local pound to look at cats
>wasn't planning to adopt, just look because I missed having cats
>dead middle of winter and cold as fuck out
>arrive there and pound is closed
>"meow"
>look down
>"oh my god a cat! you poor baby!"
>took him home
>free cat
>best bud 8 years later, still going strong, go for walks together outside, no leash, neighbors think I'm crazy
>no regrets
>>
>>2479302
and they shouldn't have any grounds to steal your cat back. The argument goes that we can't outlaw or forbid declawing because then less cats would find homes

the problems with shelters having too stringent policies on who they let adopt also contributes to less animals getting homes
>>
>>2479314
If declawing was outlawed people who rent wound not be allowed to have cats because the owners wouldn't want everything scratched up. Even with declawed cats it's hard to convince them to rent to you. I've had to provide paperwork showing they had no claws and were current on all vaccinations before getting an apartment.
>>
I dont know why shelters have such dumb rules, they just turn potential owners away with their bullshit
>>
>>2479346
A lot of shelters are self-funded and they become attached to their animal so they want to give it to someone they believe will truly love it.

I agree though that some shelters go a bit too far.
>>
>>2477544
You're, and people like you will be the first to go
>>
>>2479358
Go where? I don't want kids anyway. We're not talking sending out the death squads here.
>>
>>2476973
>expectation of improved standard of living as society develops and becomes more wealthy
>we're regressing! Let's go back to the good old days, when we didn't have societal issues and nothing was dangerous.
>>
>>2479366
More like let's go back to a time before our freedoms were being stripped away.
>>
File: Catt.jpg (24KB, 194x174px) Image search: [Google]
Catt.jpg
24KB, 194x174px
>>2477869
Former CT Navy here too. The best shelter system I worked with was in San Diego. Even though I was just a volunteer, the prices and deals were extremely fair. Even the promotions have fair prices. They were a nokill shelter and all the staff seemed to genuinely care and know what they were doing. I enjoyed volunteering with them and helped a handful of kittens and cats find a home, including my guy. They cared about making sure that pets were going to good homes, but just had them fill out a survey and follow up with them later if they didn't want to adopt that day. Also, they had a list of people who would frequently adopt and return or were known as a bad owner and ban them from future adoptions. As much as I dislike California, they were great and I hope to volunteer with them again. Pic related, my cat.
>>
>gf wants Aussie Shepard
>look them up on Craigslist
>some lady selling them for $200 cash
>drive to her house
>buy a puppy
>gf leaves me
>raising this dog alone that I never really wanted

And that's how I got Sam.
>>
>>2479573
australian shepherds are good dogs, I hope you give it good attention.
>>
>>2479573
At least now you live with something that will always love you.
>>
>>2479573
Did she leave you because you bought the puppy, or was it unrelated?

Either way, congrats because this: >>2479601
>>
>>2476822
The fuck is the point of this? To euthanize as many dogs as possible? It's inconceivable that most of their dogs will be adopted with procedures like this. Do they not realize that a life in less than ideal conditions is better than being gassed and dumped in the trash?
>>
>>2477556
>100$

Lmao, municipal vet clinic here charges 5€ for vaccination. and 50€ reception bill when the dumbasses realized that half the county switched to them.
>>
>>2479753
This, the just turn people to buying puppers
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.