[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting two rats from a family member in 3 days, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 7

File: fancy-rat3.jpg (25KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
fancy-rat3.jpg
25KB, 640x360px
I'm getting two rats from a family member in 3 days, what do I need to know about care?
She has them, both full grown males, in a 10 gallon tank. I already know they need a much bigger cage, but what else to make them happy, diet, ect.?
She said they had been fighting a lot and separated them, but should I keep them separate or will they be better once they're in a large enough space?
>>
Don't separate them. The fighting is probably due to the fact that they're together in a tiny cage.

Get a big cage with a lot of ventilation. They'll eat whatever you give them, but healthy food would be things like oatmeal, vegetables, fruit (not too much), Mazuri lab blocks, stuff like that.

The lab blocks are good because they're a complete diet on their own, but you should also give them the other stuff to keep them happy. Mazuri is a great brand.
>>
>>2475257

Also, they pee and poop a lot. Clean the cage at least once a week or so. Don't let it get nasty or they'll get sick.

A cage with good ventilation is essential to prevent ammonia poisoning.
>>
File: 81Id6ru4R4L._SL1500_.jpg (198KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81Id6ru4R4L._SL1500_.jpg
198KB, 1500x1500px
Would something like this be good, or would they be able to squeeze through the bars?
>>
Get a critter nation cage makes cleaning easier and they wont be able to tear it to pieces
>>
File: newratcage.jpg (36KB, 255x360px) Image search: [Google]
newratcage.jpg
36KB, 255x360px
>>2475324
They would absolutely chew out the bottom.

Rat manor is an ok cage. Not terribly expensive but I had to put metal clips on it to make it sturdier and ditch the wire shelves since wire bottoms can hurt their feet and tails. Ferret nations are great for adult males and easier to clean.

I have no idea if they exist anymore but coastal cages were amazing. They had a deep dish blocked by the wires so they couldn't chew enough to escape. They were sturdy as fuck too. I had a large one and a travel sized one. They were good for small rats too because they couldn't fit through the bars.
>>
>>2475233
>Guys in a tank will constantly smell each others' pee which can encourage fighting. The new space can either shock them into trusting one another, or to fight more. If it's big enough to run in and has enough distractions and hiding spots, they should relax though.

>>2475257
Mazuri has higher protein which can cause skin irritation and scabbing in adults, if they're over 6-8 months you can just feed them diet + Oxbow. Meat only 2-3 times a week, and avoid feeding them too many different foods at once or it can stress out their stomach. Go through the /an/ archive on desuarchive or google around for food ideas.
>>
>>2475324
I have this same exact cage and no issues. No, they do not chew on the bottom of the cage. I have a salt lick and a wooden chew in the cage if they needed to bite something.
>>
>>2475324
>>2475429
>>2475836
Whether or not they chew seems to be entirely up to chance. I had 8 rats, two of them chewed and the rest did not. I guess better safe than sorry.
>>
Not OP.

I'd like to buy some small rodents but I hate making animals miserable. Can they actually live happily in a cage plus taking them out from time to time? The average territory size of a male mouse must be at least 20 times the size of a big cage.
>>
File: 14602076256024.png (88KB, 568x548px) Image search: [Google]
14602076256024.png
88KB, 568x548px
>>
>>2475324
Get something bigger than that with multiple levels to explore
>>
File: ApricotPudding (12 of 18).jpg (2MB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
ApricotPudding (12 of 18).jpg
2MB, 1920x1280px
You don't have to keep them separate - A little bit of fighting is generally fine as long as they aren't drawing blood, although I'll agree with the others and say it's probably due to being crammed in a tiny tank (and if that;s their home, you know the rest of their life has been negligent.)

Lab blocks should be their staple food for their health, with other stuff given only as a treat. If they seem picky, just leave them with the blocks. They won't starve themselves and will eat what's available when they get hungry.

The chances that they'll chew through a plastic-bottom cage is virtually nil. In hundreds of rattos, I've had maybe two or three serious chewers and they still didn't start on their cage.

As always, bigger is better - But with two males, they're likely going to stay in the same spot sleeping 70% of the time anyway.

>tfw I forgot to come back updates on my two new dudes.
Tl;dr one of them can inexplicably get out of the cage that no other rat has ever been able to - But he still goes back in to eat/drink and is litter-trained, so I've accepted that I now have a free-range rat. He mostly chills out on one shelf and my computer desk. Pic related, this cheeky little shit.
>>
File: 20160903_100158.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160903_100158.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2475233
>make sure rattos have a clean, dust free environment
>always wash your hands before interacting with ratto (and after if you care about your own health)
>never put your face near the rattos face, no kissing the rats
>breath is full of diseases and bacteria that will make rat sick
>never feed ratto fun food only rat block
>special sometimes foods are a bit of dark chocolate
>your hands are rats friends play with rats
>>
File: IMAG0693.jpg (2MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0693.jpg
2MB, 3000x4000px
Thank you anons. It'll be a few more days now before I get them, but that gives me more time to set up everything.
Here's one of them, they look like little ballsacks but hopefully they'll be happy little ballsacks soon.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.