[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you do about a cat that's trying to "adopt

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 20170904_030255.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170904_030255.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What do you do about a cat that's trying to "adopt you" when you aren't in a position to adopt it?

This little girl(?) has been hanging outside my work (night security) all night the last few weekends. She's very affectionate (always pushing her body against my leg; when I lower my hand to pet it, it stands up on its hind legs to reach her head to my hand; climbs onto benches I'm sitting on to nuzzle me; stuff like that) and definitely not afraid of me or hostile.

Problem is that I think it's getting too attached. She sits outside my office all night every night meowing for me and she's getting very insistent about trying to get into the building. So what's the best course here?

I've never had a cat before and I'm going to be going back to school in a few months, so I'm not in a position to adopt it myself. Still, she seems fairly healthy and is probably the friendliest cat (stray or pet) I've ever met and I'd be willing to put in a small effort in helping her find a new home.

Is there a cost-effective way to do this? Is taking it to a shelter even really an option? Should I just chase it off so it leaves? I don't want to be mean to it, but I also don't want to "lead it on." I'm only here three nights a week and I'm not going to buy food for it, let alone take it to a vet and pay for shots and spaying/ neutering. So what to do?

(Apologies if you guys get this kind of thread all the time, I've never lurked or posted on this board.)
>>
File: 1504513760259333082087.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1504513760259333082087.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
OP here, still here with my bud, but I'm going off-shift for the week in a couple hours.
>>
Taking it to a shelter is definitely an option, but I wouldn't worry so much about leading it on. It's a cat, and you're probably looking too much into its mannerisms. You can just enjoy eachother's company as usual.
If, eventually, your schedule changes so you won't see her anymore, you can call some shelters and find her one, if you care enough about her. That's what shelters are for. Some of them, anyway.
>>
>>2472470

I hope you're right. Never seen a cat act like this, though. Seriously, I do 12 hour shifts and she just shows up a half hour after I arrive and sits outside the door all night waiting on me.

It is sweet, she's always stoked whenever I go outside and hang out with her a bit, but it's an issue that she keeps trying to run into my building when I open the door. It's not my trained pet and I can't be sure it will do what I say. Hence my concern and desire to do something rather than just let it be.

But eh... effort. I guess I'll just deal with it if it becomes an actual problem. Thanks for your insight.
>>
>>2472439
Could be a lost pet. I'd take it to a shelter. Maybe it is chipped.
>>
>>2472439
Man I just had this going on at my own work with an orange tomcat. Adorable as all hell but I had no space for another cat. If you have coworkers, ask around. Some might be able to take her in or they may have prior experience handling strays.
>>
Pet cats who've had their owners move out on them or otherwise have been abandoned recently to the streets tend to seek out new owners from whoever was nice to them before. A lot of people end up with pets this way.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.