[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just moved to a new apt. and I'm thinking about getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 6133478.jpg?270.jpg (16KB, 269x316px) Image search: [Google]
6133478.jpg?270.jpg
16KB, 269x316px
I just moved to a new apt. and I'm thinking about getting a mouse, hamster, bunny or rodent of any kind.

I just want to know which one is the most inexpensive, least smelly, needs the least attention, and specially what can I do with them during the 1-month intervals when I'm out?
>>
>>2471102
you're not suited for mammals. get fish
>>
>>2471105
/thread
>>
>what can I do with them during the 1-month intervals when I'm out?
Is this bait?
>>
>>2471105
Why tho?
>>
>>2471112
>>2471102
You shouldn't have any pets at all, really.
>>
>>2471112
Because if your priorities are cheap, low smell, low care, and can be left alone for a month, fish are about your only option.
>>
>>2471132
>>2471112
And even then, you'd need some amount of planning. A tank has to be understocked to go for a month without maintenance, and you'd have to know how to set up an automatic feeder (harder than it sounds because most people way overfeed fish, which would be pretty bad with a month without maintenance).
>>
File: 1975petrock.jpg (702KB, 2040x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1975petrock.jpg
702KB, 2040x1500px
here's the perfect pet for you
>>
>>2471137
This. Back in college, I used to have a single male betta and 4 African dwarf frogs in a 29g tank I would leave in my dorm for breaks, but they only ever lasted 2 and a half weeks or less. A month would be stretching it and I wouldn't try it with anything other than fish or a reptile, never a mammal.
>>
>>2471105
>>2471132
>fish
>1-month intervals when I'm out

No, anon. Just no.
>>
>>2471170
I'm assuming he would get someone to look after them. There's no way OP really expects any animal to be okay with zero care for an entire month, after all he asked "what can I do with them?" not "can I leave them?".
>>
>>2471102
Get a cat.

They smell like shit, but most of their owners throw them outside and forget about them for months at a time.
>>
>>2471172
Tbqh I would trust someone else to look after my rats before I'd trust someone else to look after my fish. With fish you need to maintain good water quality, give exactly the right amount of food and act immediately if anything goes wrong. With other pets you can just throw in food and water and play with them.
>>
>>2471172
Don't question it. OP probably thinks they can just throw a bag a food in with a big bowl of water.

OP where do you even go? When I had rats I had a travel cage if I needed to go somewhere on short notice and din highschool we had a girl who regularly had a hamster or a pair of sugar gliders in her clothes all day. At least the gliders slept all day.

She had to redo the SATs because her gliders started crabbing in a dead silent room of 40 people.
>>
>>2471208
>Tbqh I would trust someone else to look after my rats before I'd trust someone else to look after my fish.
Same (although I don't have rats). Someone could have good intentions and still kill your entire tank in a few days via overfeeding.
>>
>>2471146
Do they still make them?
>>
File: The Black Easter Bunny (108).jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
The Black Easter Bunny (108).jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>2471102
Rabbits can be potty trained like cats and they clean themselves regularly.

The only thing that will smell is their pee in the litter box, their pellet poo is odorless, they do have a smelly poo that is soft but that is once a day and they eat it*

Rabbits neutered can live longer I'm kind of on the fence on this for outdoor rabbits, but for an "apartment" bunny I think it's best to neuter.

Have their nails clipped every two months or so depending on length if they have no place to dig outside.

Rabbits will think power cords are roots and tend to chew them, you need to rabbit proof rooms by not allowing them access to back of TV's and such to bite power cords like Pikachu.

Other wise rabbits are simple to take care off, the only deadly thing for them is extreme heat and freezing temperatures.

I suppose the only other thing that could smell is their wood chips and hay...honestly smells good to me...just depends on your allergies if you have them.

like cats, rabbits have long hair, short hairs and some types of rabbit fur can make people sneeze. I prefer short hairs.
>>
>>2471290
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jc_mSV2xtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjyLsrwRzhQ
>>
>>2471475
>>2471102
You know after re reading your post...your going to be gone for a month?

Honestly I don't think furry creatures are for you, they need attention and will go into depression if they don't get at least two hours attention a day like rabbits and hamsters and the like still need daily to weekly supervision for food and water...

You might want to consider a snake...really there is no pet that you can just leave alone for a month.

Fish still need food twice a day and water changing once a month.

Maybe get a shrimp tank.
>>
>>2471112
Yeah, not trying to be mean...but honestly your list of requirements is too much.

You can't neglect an animal for a month and expect them to be healthy or even alive unless your dumping them on somebody else to take care of.

Hell, you can't even abandon a garden of robust plants for a month even with automated watering.
>>
>>2471102
>most inexpensive, least smelly, needs the least attention

get a house plant, jesus
>>
>>2471102
Do you plan for anyone to be taking care of them while you're gone for the month? if not then none because most rodents need to eatand get attention every day.
>>
File: 14602076256024.png (88KB, 568x548px) Image search: [Google]
14602076256024.png
88KB, 568x548px
>>
>>2471102
why is a ferret in that pic? they aren't fucking rodents, they are based mustelids. i have two myself.
>>
>>2471102
tarantula fits the bill 100%
cheap, low maintenance, no smell, needs no attention, can go months without food if it has to
>inb4 le nope spider
>>
>>2471782
Because that's a picture of small animal pets, not rodents. Rabbits aren't rodents either.
>>
>>2471102
>1-month intervals when I'm out

Nope. Won't work. Not for mammals, not for reptiles, not even for fish. There are boarding services for dogs and cats but not usually for the others. You would have to arrange a trusted person to check on your pet and do maintenance on a semi-daily basis.
>>
>>2471990
This. And I don't know how often these 1-month intervals are, but boarding is fucking expensive and OP asked for inexpensive. Same with getting someone to come to your house, unless you get a friend to do it, and that's just shitty to dump that kind of thing on your friend unless you pay them.
>>
File: SMOL.jpg (83KB, 736x667px) Image search: [Google]
SMOL.jpg
83KB, 736x667px
>>2471102
Hamsters. Sunfires to be exact. Most abhor being held and can be left to do their own thing. Not sure how much they shit but it won't cost you a lot of bedding and if you give it a bigger space then you should only need to clean it once a week or even every two weeks.

I do agree with the other anons though. It's better if you get a reptile or fish than a mammal. They have a more expensive up front cost usually but they're easier and cheaper to maintain in the long run than any small mammal.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.