[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of getting a guinea pig. Can anyone give me quick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: leonard hofstadter.jpg (7KB, 267x189px) Image search: [Google]
leonard hofstadter.jpg
7KB, 267x189px
Thinking of getting a guinea pig.
Can anyone give me quick rundown on them?
>>
I don't own any but some of my cousins do so I don't know too much about them.... but be careful where you buy one, especially if it's a female. My cousins bought a companion for one they already had and it turned out to be pregnant so now they are stuck with 6 of them and had to buy a separate cage for the males. They also make a lot of noise and can smell pretty bad. Other than that they seem like pretty nice pets and that like to cuddle and eat stuff.
>>
>>2469889
They're noisy and stink to high heaven. Just get a goldfish, I'm serious.
>>
They are massively retarded. Guess the lack of oxygen in the Andes kills your brain.
>>
There's a reason people breed these things as food.

If you're going to get a rodent, make it a Hedgehog or a Gerbil, Shit even a rat would be better, at least they have some brains going for em
>>
>>2469911
>Just get a goldfish
That would be twice as expensive if OP did it correctly, and not the "hurr just put it in a bowl" way.

>>2469889
Guinea pigs are social animals that do better if there's 2 or more. If you get more than one, be aware that they will try to establish dominance with mild bites as there's a hierarchy of sorts. They can be skiddish and require some training to get used to you. They need a ton of space, and not just a tiny cage or even a big cage. They eat tons of veggies and need hay 24/7. I'm not 100% on this but I think I read somewhere that if you get a female, it's best to spay them because they have a high chance of getting ovarian cancer or something like that.

They also tend to be noisy and very messy.
>>
I was at the park yesterday and stumbled upon a family of equadorians roasting guinea pigs on the grill. I asked for a bite and they were delicious! I could definitely see myself learning the art of raising guinea pigs, skinning them, and cooking them as a tasty meal.
>>
Forreal I don't why everyone's talking shit, I used to have 2 guinea pigs and one lived to 4 (he died and by nature guinea pigs conceal any symptoms of illness up until death) and another that lived to be 8. They are definitely not stupid animals, mine learned how to find their cage from anywhere in the house I put them, and would never try to escape even when leaving the cage open. They do make a plethora of noises mostly when they hear you messing with food bags, but they never kept me up at night. But they do require a lot of attention to bond well. Also I would say you would have to clean their cage at least once a week to keep their feet healthy and the cage snelling fresh but they do not have a strong oder like ferrets or sugar gliders, plus I bathed my piggies monthly or bi-monthly when it gets colder. Guinea pigs are good pets
>>
>>2470040
You could get an appropriate 50+ gallon tank off Craigslist for cheap if not free. Lots of times they sell entire sets. As long as you have a good filter and a large tank goldfish are pretty cheap, hardy, and long lived pets.
>>
>>2469889
They are good and relatively easy pets to have. I had two males that got along nicely, but I think it helped that I got them a year apart so the older one was naturally the dominant one.
Clean the cage at least once a week and cut their nails if they grow too long. Also I would definitely recommend getting short haired ones as they are way easier so you don't have to deal with tangled up guinea pig hair balls.

Mine both got 5 years old and I think 5-8 years is how long you can expect to have them around.
>>
>>2469889
mountains of shit
constant screaming for food
horrible smell
>>
File: 1502905771674.gif (2MB, 392x260px) Image search: [Google]
1502905771674.gif
2MB, 392x260px
>>
>>2470146
>"CHARLIES IN THE BUSHES!!!!"
>>
>>2470047

I would eat them if they removed the goddamn head.
>>
File: 921.jpg (32KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
921.jpg
32KB, 500x373px
>>2470023
>Hedgehog
>rodent
>>
>>2469911
>stink to high heaven
maybe clean their cage once in awhile you cunt
>>
>>2470113
More or less this.
They prefer to do their own thing and don't really seem to care about you until they want something
If you're sure you want guinea pigs, please don't get one. Get a same sex pair.
>>
>>2470089
How is this less expensive than a guinea pig?

You could craigslist all the stuff for them too.
>>
>got a GP
>didn't know its gender
>got another GP
>saw them together
>quickly figured out who was what
>GP2 was ill with something; gave it to GP1
>both were soon kill
>>
File: cheeks.jpg (53KB, 662x960px) Image search: [Google]
cheeks.jpg
53KB, 662x960px
I took poor care of my guinea pig and did not notice much in terms of smell and nose or aggression.

A friend of mine takes wonderful care of hers, and I did hear some adorable chirps from them from time to time, especially when she came over to their toddler-bunk-bed style/sized cage to say hello to them. They were litter trained and pooped in a corner tray neatly.

I'm still more interested in eating them over having them as pets, but they seem no worse if not better than other rodential pets.
>>
>>2469889
wheek wheek wheek Wheek Wheek WHEEK WHEEK WHEEK

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEK
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK
>>
>quick rundown

>basically hate human interaction
>have to clean the cage at least once a week
>basically wants to be left alone
>>
>>2470089
Yeah, and I get that, but all the stuff that comes with a tank and maintaining it properly could cost more, especially since goldfish are more fragile than guinea pigs. How is that cheaper than a guinea pig? I mean I don't have price estimates or anything but handling fish seems complicated af to me.
>>
>>2469889
I've heard that they taste good but I've never eaten one.
>>
>>2471602
if you want something easier to care for, you could try a tarantula or some kind of reptile
>>
>>2470188
What's wrong with the head? Some of the best meat on animals comes from the head. Cow, pig and fish cheeks. Eyes are pretty good too.
>>
they dont bounce
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.