[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone want to give me some "must do/must think abouts"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

Anyone want to give me some "must do/must think abouts" before buying a dog?
I have never had a dog before but I want to get one. Should I just get one and learn by doing?
>>
>>2466052

No because you'll get one that is incompatible with your lifestyle and it will suffer or you will abandon it.

Things to think about:

>What is my regular activity level?
Many people get dogs thinking that they'll exercise more, but that hardly ever happens. (Emphasis on "hardly"- it's possible but those people are the exception). So being honest with yourself will prevent a couch potato from getting something like a Belgian Malinois.

>How often will I be home or able to take the dog out?
An old dogger can handle fewer outings or spend more time sleeping (and not chewing your stuff). A puppy needs more attention for training and being taken out for potty breaks. Many people want to start off with a puppy but fail too realize how much attention they require. Adopting a grandpa doggo can help you understand pet ownership without the additional puppy stress.

>What kind of living space do I have?
An apartment is better suited for small or low-energy dogs. Bigger and energetic dogs need more space.

>what are my cleaning habits like?
Some dogs shed way more, but if you're lazy about cleaning then prepare to have a disgusting house. If you don't clean often or don't like to clean period, get a low shedding breed.

>how much money can I save?
Probably the most important. If you can't make enough to start building up an emergency fund for vet visit, then you're not in a good spot for a dog.
>>
>>2466087
Thanks.
What I'm most concerned about among these is my activity level. I'm not a lazy fuck who sit inside all the time, but I know I'm not the most active person either.
Are there dogs who will need shorter/fewer walks than others? I'm thinking that two-three walks everyday will be a bit much in my everyday life. I can easily handle a short morning poop and a good walk after I come home from work, but I don''t think I will handle a long walk in the morning, let alone three walks.
>>
>>2466087
This is a good post

I'll add a few things. First you need to figure out what it do with the dog during the day. This can be a dog walker, doggy day care, or coming home during lunches. Some dogs can hold it for 8 hours while you're at work but it isn't optimal nor desired. Figure out what you'll do before getting a dog.

Second, start walking. Go on at least two 30 minute walks. If you are having a hard time finding time getting in these two walks or are being lazy about it, then reconsider getting a dog.
>>
>>2466092
Are you able to install a doggie door so they can go relive themselves? A low energy dog would be fine with only one long walk as long as they had plenty of opportunities to piss throughout the day.
>>
>>2466096
>>2466097
What if I can't install a doggie door?
What do people do with their dogs when they can't go outside by themselves to poop and piss?
>>
>>2466098
Doggy day care, dog walker, going home during lunch break, having a neighbor you trust let them out, etc
>>
>>2466103
I don't think doggy day care and dog walkers is common here to be honest. I guess I could go home during lunch break tho.
>>
>>2466087
This guy knows whats up

>what are my cleaning habits like?

This is one of the questions I'd never been asked before. Most of my dogs are shorthair, my Sheltie does not shed often (though I brush him weekly). Recently got my dream dog a semi-long hair GSD. I was prepared for the high energy, the need for training, the chewing, and possibility of aggression. What I was not prepared for was the DEMAND of cleaning. I knew GSD shed, but what di underestimated was how much. I expected it to be akin to my Sheltie but it is FAR FAR FAR worse. I have to vacuum daily, vacuum my car after every dog park trip, and hit my clothes with the vacuum before going out. This cleaning question is far more relevant than you will realize.
>>
>>2466354

I actually threw that in because I adopted a Great Pyrenees last year. I had Chow Chows growing up, so I thought it wouldn't be that different.

It was.

There is so much fur.

Even when we take him to the groomer, pay extra for furminator, he sheds like crazy. Luckily he loves to be brushed.
>>
File: 1503862639746.jpg (29KB, 387x393px) Image search: [Google]
1503862639746.jpg
29KB, 387x393px
>>2466087

/thread

>mfw I don't clean that much and have 3 animals
>>
One of the most important things you need to realize is that you'll eventually have to put him down. That shit hurts more than you think.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.