[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people afraid of spiders? They help clean up flies, mosquitos,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: goliath.jpg (158KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
goliath.jpg
158KB, 1280x720px
Why are people afraid of spiders? They help clean up flies, mosquitos, roaches etc. They're basically unpaid janitors.
>>
>>2465596
It's only natural to be afraid of these fucks, the ones who don't are the real freaks.
With that being said, I don't believe the world would be a worst place without them.
>>
>>2465596
Ignorant and sheltered normies who think every animal is a vicious beast out to get them.
>>
>>2465609
typical_spiderbro.jpg
>>
> spiders owned = 14
> times bitten = 0
> hamsters owned = 2
> times bitten = to fucking many to count
BUT SPIDERS ARE EVIL GUYS, THEY ARE MEAN AND WILL BITE YOU!!!!

WHAT YOU THINK OF MY NEW LOVE BIRD BTW?
>>
>>2465602
>I don't believe the world would be a worst place without them.
i don't specially like spiders but without them the world would much more filled with fucking flies and other vermin
>>
>>2465602
Things that are normal
>Having an irrational fear of something

Things that are not normal
>Claiming irrational fears are "natural"
>Claiming the thing you're afraid of is useless and evil just because you're afraid of it
>>
It's a defense mechanism for humans. From an evolution standpoint it makes sense to have been afraid of these things.
>>
>>2465726
Literally proven wrong. Fear of small animals is not inherent in kids that haven't learned it.
>>
>>2465596
Because some have extremely painful bites and can kill you, try playing around with a funnel web if you're such a big tough guy, or are you afraid?
>>
The bigger the spider the less afraid of it I am
>>
>>2465748
>a few select species can be dangerous if you act like a retard
Wew lad, guess I should be scared of amphibians because poison dart frogs exist somewhere else and would kill me if I ate them.
>>
and then they drop themselves from the ceiling on to your face while you try to sleep.
>>
>arachnophobia
>some can kill you with one bite
>they're just creepy as fuck (I think it's because they have so many legs)

I don't hate spiders, I just don't want them near me.
>>
>>2465615
Well, you were obviously a terrible ham owner, they won't bite you if you actually make an effort to bond with them.
>>
centipedes are way worse
>>
>>2465615
Lovebirds are psychotic assholes. Every lovebird I had the misfortune of keeping wanted to kill my cockatiel. Dumb memebirds mostly kept by people who buy them because of their meme name and cute looks.
>>
>>2465602
For every action there is a reaction. Just look at how things turned out in China with Rat's,Birds and bees. The ecosystem is really fragile.
>>
>>2465748
>tfw tsetse flies can kill me so I run like a fucking spastic whenever I see any fly anywhere
>>
>>2465602
Spiders are predators and keep populations in check.

Studies have also indicated that the presence of spiders increases plant diversity as their prey develop different eating habits to avoid the spiders. Spiders a good.
>>
>>2465596
>t. spider
>>
>>2465768
>>2465846
I'm not scared of spiders I can identify, but I'm cautious of the ones I can't, I have a huntsmen with a 20cm legspan that I let roam my house, but I'm not going to keep a small unfamiliar spider in my house incase it crawls in my clothes and I get bitten when I'm dressing. Its smart to be scared of spiders.
>>
>>2465862
>Its smart to be scared of spiders.

It really isn't unless you're a dumb hillbilly who can't identify the medically significant species that might live near you which are 1 or 2 at most unless you live in Peru or South Sudan or some other shithole.
>>
File: 1502727800457.jpg (370KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1502727800457.jpg
370KB, 640x640px
ive thought about this question.

theyre biologically unfamiliar to us. hard exoskeleton, lack of hair, no body warmth etc. a lot of the animals that spook humans are victims of their innate difference.

yes there are other reasons (culture demonizing them, etc). but mine is best.

/thread
>>
>>2465596
It's called preparedness and it helped us survive.

Read this if you want to know more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preparedness_(learning)
>>
>>2465874
It's called preparedness and it's been proven to be a retarded myth at least when it comes to phobias.

>What we found is that their startle responses were not bigger when watching a video of a snake, even when paired with a fearful voice," says co-author Vanessa LoBue at Rutgers University in New Jersey, US.

>The babies' startle response was actually lower. Their heart response was also lower, which also indicates that babies were not scared.

>In other words, though the babies paid more attention to the snakes, this did not invoke fear.
>>
>>2465878
shit i forgot the link

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151022-where-does-our-fear-of-snakes-come-from
>>
File: prost.jpg (16KB, 226x199px) Image search: [Google]
prost.jpg
16KB, 226x199px
>>2465878
sounds like an american study with n=12
got a source?

also what is your point? preparedness doesn't exist or that phobias of snakes and spiders are not more prevalent than other phobias?

man I sound super bitchy, sorry. not my native language.
>>
>>2465867
>lack of hair
say that to my face motherfucker and not online

>>2465596
What is the one with the striped butt in the OP? It's a qt.
>>
>>2465881
ah alright I read the article. well this doesn't disprove Preparedness.

babies are not small grown-ups. their brains are hardly comparable to ours.
>>
>>2465903
Hapalopus spec.
>>
>>2465890
It exists, but it's just heightened perception when it comes to those things rather than straight up fear. Fear is taught.
>>
>>2465919
Fair enough
>>
Evolving humans would not have given a shit about how they deal with pests, all they would have cared about is whether it is or looks like something dangerous, since some spiders can be venomous, it's best to evolve to avoid them. It would be absurd to evolve ONLY to be afraid of the specific spiders who are actually dangerous, it's much simpler to just evolve to be put off by the general body plan. And it's not just spiders that would that would look like this and cause trouble, ticks look pretty similar too.
>>
>>2465919
>fear is taught
Lol no, most animals are inherently afraid of fire or loud noises.
>>
>>2465669
Early humans who weren't afraid of spiders and snakes in climates where a good deal of them were venomous were more likely to be killed. The behaviour can be triggered by a parent or guardian showing fear for something or telling a kid something is dangerous at an early age.

Endless cycle + easy to trigger + made sense for some people for a long time = most people have an irrational fear
>>
File: cc4.jpg (76KB, 680x649px)
cc4.jpg
76KB, 680x649px
>>2465596
>>2465608
>>2465615
>>2465728
>>2465768
>>2465866
>>2465878
>>2465919
>>
just got my first T today, a grammostola pulchripes. it's about 1.5 cm long and the breeder said 2 years old.
>>
>>2465596
I'll take what is the evolutionary reason for humans having tickle sensations for 100 please
>>
If they're outside I'm not scared of them. If I see one run at light speed across my wall at 3 am I'm scared.
>>
>They look dirty

That's what someone told me recently
>>
It's literally a mental illness but I suppose it could help you survive if you live in a 3rd world shithole and live your entire life in fear of everything small.
>>
>>2466118
That's for parasites bro
>>
>>2466118
That's not how jeopardy works tho
>>
spiders creep me the fuck out, but as long as they leave me alone i return the favor. im glad i live in a place with aggressive winters.
>>
>>2465866
>unless you live in Peru
peru spiders are better than the cholos desu
>>
>>2465669
You confuse 'irrational' with 'instinctive' reactions. Don't worry, you'll get it right eventually. :-)
>>
>>2465596
I don't mind spiders at all, but holy shit does their molting cycle creep me out.

There's just something...wrong...with popping your skull-equivalent off and having slick new legs slide out of old ones in such a grotesque fashion.
Also, the holes the legs leave in the empty husk are nightmare fuel.
>>
>>2465596
Jews convincing stupid goyim to fear the strong.
>>
We have a rule in the house - any spider above slapping distance is safe. When demonstrating this rule by slapping a wall adjacent to a large spider she moved above slapping distance. We give the spiders warning and they're cool to kill bugs and shit. Spiders are pretty cool if you give em boundaries - move em if they're fucking with you. If they build webs on your car? Drive fast and move em to a Hardee's or something.
>>
File: daddylonglegs bath.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
daddylonglegs bath.webm
2MB, 640x360px
I can understand people being creeped out by them a little, but I don't get people screaming and running away at the tiniest jumping spider or orb weaver. I think it's total lack of understanding and I'd even go so far as to say it's the same mechanism that drives racism in humans
>>
>>2466573
I'm quite racist but have no fear of spiders, rodents, or wasps. The latter have never tried to hurt me; I can't say the same about people.
Maybe it works in similar ways, but it's not the same mechanism.
>>
>>2465866
I live in australia, sometimes I forget your threats arent our threats, we have to keep an eye out for the wildlife, you have to keep an eye out for unhappy students with dreams of vengeance.
>>
>>2466748
Australia still only has 3 families that are all really easily identifiable. Unless you fell for the white-tailed meme.
>>
>>2466768
You've never been bitten by a white tail have you? It won't kill you but it isnt pleasant trust me, there is no reason to let any spiders like that stay in your house just because you can identify them, keep the huntsmens and get rid of everything else.
>>
Too many legs and too many eyes. That said, there are no poisonous spiders where i live and they are all small, so i let them be when i find them in my bathroom. I even help that one retarded fucker get out from the bottom of the bath that he constantly falls down to
>>
>>2466573
Mud races can actually harm you quite a bit, in many possible ways compared to a little spider.
>>
>>2465596
I don't like spiders near me, but I like looking at them.
Jumping spiders are an exception, they're super cute you can't just say no to them.
>>
>>2465602
>woman/gay in charge of not being an emotional, irrational faggot
Spiders are absolute bros. They're just content to fuck off into a corner and trap pesky bugs for the comfort of your home.
You will never have a spider lunging at you or hunting you down or even just approaching you, unlike most other predators and critters.
You literally need to stick your middle finger up their ass to have them attack you.
Faggot.
>>
>>2465596
They're pussies.
I have spiders in every corner of my room, they do nothing at all, who gives a fuck
>>
>>2465596
All spiders are venomous so it's hardwired into our reptilian bios
>>
>>2468756

This isn't true if you have a Wandering spider in front of you.
Here in Brazil they're very popular and extremely dangerous because they're agressive, you'll be attacked if you getting close to them.

>>2466573
>I'd even go so far as to say it's the same mechanism that drives racism in humans

My fucking sides kek.
Seriously will you relate spider fear to racism? Man, just shut up.
>>
The way they move and descend, for some reason, always struck fear in me. It depends on the spider though. Daddy long legs and little jumping spiders don't bother me.
>>
I have a load of spiders in my room, I only move them if they get close to my bed e.g. climb down the wall and could climb into bed with me when I'm sleeping. Never kill them though, I'd feel bad.
>>
File: 1449545456639.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1449545456639.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>2469125
>>
>>2468756
Was doing that to a spider that was fixing it's web early. It was pretty chill about it till the end then it stopped ever time it got poked for a second.
>>
>>2465596
The whole
>Eating bugs for you
Is such a meme. Most spiders only eat once a week. Thier are fine outside but you really don't need them in your house.
>>
>>2466513
>Spiders are pretty cool if you give em boundaries
I'm actually really surprised at how well spiders respond to boundaries, and realizing that you can build an understanding helped me get rid of my fear of them (I still don't want them touching me, but considering they don't want me touching them I'd say that's a pretty normal reaction).

>>2470981
They're godsends for gardens, I take whatever ill-placed spiders that get too close out to my garden and they keep pests down to a minimum.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.