[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guess who'sback, motherfucker. As a refresher for those

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 71ft9bJ37QL._SX355_.jpg (12KB, 355x180px) Image search: [Google]
71ft9bJ37QL._SX355_.jpg
12KB, 355x180px
Guess who'sback, motherfucker.

As a refresher for those who weren't here for the last iteration, I tried feeding hornworms a variety of fluorescent compounds to see if the resulting months would glow.

The results were inconclusive; all pupae died, so no moths we observed, but data would suggest that the compounds were broken down internally and oxidized.

Trying something similar, but more mundane. Feeding them plants that contain strong natural pigments, such as cabbage, beets, carrots, etc, and seeing what adult attributes are observed.

Looking for recommendations, which plants are non-toxic to moths and contain vibrant colors?
>>
>>2465533
I remember you.

why not try a radioactive isotope and check for non-visible em spectrum?
>>
>>2465533
>all pupae died,
are you sure you know how to raise a hawk mothe?

did you give them a couple inches of soil and leave them buried? did you moisten the soil? This is critical.
>>
>>2465534
The best I might be able to do is americium from smoke detectors, or tritium from gun sights. Either way, the radiation would likely harm both me and the larvae. Plus, and I've tried, any OTC Geiger counter wouldn't be able to pick up the ambient radiation around a live jelly bean full of plutonium, let alone a caterpillar who'd eaten dilute isotopes toxic to humans. Im looking for stable compounds that won't bring the FBI to my door.
>>
>>2465535
I did, control subjects were matured and 2/3 successful adult moths were released.
I did those in peat moss, considering vermiculite or cococore
>>
>>2465535
And I guess the no moths observed was a hit off, should've said no test subjects exposed to fluorescent dye survived.

Could've guessed that, tho, given fluorecene is a bitter compound and may serve as a lite incecticide.

Wondering if Quinine front tonic might have the same result, perhaps?
>>
>>2465542
what you do is acquire dye for hydrological dye trace studies. Dilute and wick into tomato plant stems. Feed some Hyles sp.s the dye traced tomato plants.

then get SBA certification and write a grant to study dye toxicity (the FDA wants to know!).

Then pay yourself $74,950 salary while spending the remaining $50 to determine dye toxicity to Solanum lycopersicum and Hyles lineata. win or lose you win.

welcome to academia
>>
>>2465537
>americium from smoke detectors
I have dinosaur bones on my shelf that are 10X hotter than that.
>>
>>2465549
Nigga, how
Gimme
>>
>>2465550
Most of the dinosaur bone from the Morrison Formation of Utah and Colorado is permineralized with Vanadium-Uranium.

Just go on ebay and buy gembone slabs with good yellow-green color. Run them under your Geiger counter.

don't sleep with them under your pillow though. Seriously.
>>
File: P8270115.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P8270115.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>2465550
this is my hottest piece, a bit of Stegosaurus limb bone from Utah.

Pure cancer, or chemo depending on how long you sit on it.
>>
>>2465554
See, unless the effect on the larva was a full systemic mutation that affected it's appearance, I would have no way of quantifying those results, and any recessive Gene mutation would be generations away from observation.
Plus, chemo is expensive on a college budget.

So let's just put it in stone here; No carcinogenic or blatently radioactive compounds are up for testing. I'd give them lead in low doses if I had reason to believe they'd survive.
>>
>>2465556
you could detect rads with less than $4 grand in equipment.

Lead is not generally bioavailable in its elemental form or in most common ores, so it wouldn't likely kill your animals or result in mutations.

detecting it in Hyles tissues would still require the same $4 grand in equipment though....

and both experiments (lead or uranium) have already been done.
>>
>>2465556
If you want a traceable mutagen you could try mercury.
easy to get hold of, generally bioavailable, and easily measured in assay.

it's also a bitch to work with legally. I have some of that too, if you want to try it.
>>
>>2465561
mercury toxicity in plant and animal tissues has also been widely studied though....
>>
>>2465562
I'm more interested in bioavailable pigments in plant tissue.

I've got a chunk of cinnabar from Utah Montana in a glass case, and that's as safe as I'd like to keep it.

More interested in compounds like carotenoids , tannins, melanins, or varriants of chlorophyll which can be found to a high degree in common food sources most larva might not be prone to try, the focus being root crops or tropical fruits
>>
>>2465568
>I've got a chunk of cinnabar from Utah Montana in a glass case, and that's as safe as I'd like to keep it.
cinnabar is highly bioavailable. That shit will soak through your skin.

>More interested in compounds like...
I understand. But those compounds can't be measured empirically.

You want to study things that larvae eat affecting the color of adults. As you will see with repeated trials these things don't exist.

anyways, start with food colors. If you don't see a thing from those there's nothing to see.

I already know the answer, I've dyed hundreds of tomatoes and raised hundreds of hawk moths. This led me to a career in environmental science in which I became inordinately wealthy remediating mutagenic metals soils. I wish you the same luck.
>>
>>2465533
Hey OP, read up on all natural dyes like this.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal
It comes from insects, so it might be safe to feed to insects. You could probably pack a shit ton of color into your caterpillars by mixing a lot of cochineal into some steamed and mashed cauliflower. Turn that shit blood red, then feed to your caterpillars.

There's probably tons more all natural dyes that come in different colors. Like blueberries and dandelions.
>>
>>2465573
Cochineal is a natural insecticide, like most natural dyes.

it's not safe to feed to insects, it evolved to kill them.
>>
>>2465533

Those things grow fast! I fed them all to my frogs, but goddamn do they eat and shit a lot...
>>
>>2465575
>Cochineal is a natural insecticide
That doesn't make sense anon. Cochineal is harvested directly from insects. If it was a natural insecticide then how does the cochineal itself survive?

Although granted, I understand that natural dyes harvested from plants can be insecticides. Because insects eat plants.
>>
>>2465980
>how can poison dart frogs be dangerous to consume, the poison would be consumed by the frog and the frog would die
The same way every poisonous animal works, they've evolved a resistance to it in higher and higher doses while unrelated animals haven't
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.