[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I need help, I just got some quails like two weeks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 20170813_143620.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170813_143620.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Hey guys, I need help, I just got some quails like two weeks ago, and there seems to be something wrong with one of them. She looked fine when we got her, but now She s very limp and doesn't move much. What is wrong and how do I help her?
Pic related is her and other female the day we brought them home because 4chan doesn't like any of my other pictures apparently
>>
>>2463566
Also the other female seems just fine. Has been acting normal since we got her.
>>
>>2463566
amazing details about husbandry and all that shit, surely we will be able to help

take it to the vet you fucking retard
>>
>>2463570
I went back to look at her and shes dead, I have no idea what happened
>>
>>2463587
LOL
>>
>>2463566
Have you checked her legs or her body?
I do this daily because I'm a weirdo and it's been very helpful.
Check her legs. Hold her upside down or facing you or have someone hold her up right with her feet in front of her for you and check the bottoms of her feet. Make sure there's not giant weird black moldy looking bulbous balls in the center of her feet (bumblefoot) or any small hard spots that look like dead skin (calluses)
Make sure you feel it by lightly squeezing it with your thumb pressed on the center of her foot and your index finger on the back.
Next check her toes. Feel the and bend them very gently in the nartual way they bend. Make sure nothing feels broken.
Do the same with her legs but also check her for and kind of wound or abnormalities (tumors, scabs, bald spots, mites ect)
Next lid up her tail and check her vent. Make sure she doesn't have pasty butt or anything. I have chickens who used to get this before I started just cutting their butt hair completely. I'm not sure if quails can get it, but it's worth a shot. You can check for any physical abnormalities while you're down there.
Next. Check her breast and back.
Feel her breast meat for any abnormalities and check her breast bone. Usually for birds you can tell they're skinny by their breast bone. Every bird has a different breast bone standard but usually if you can grab it or it feels pointy she's thin.
Next check her crop (I'm assuming quails have crops)
Check to see if she's been eating by doing this every day in the afternoon.
Rub her crop and see if it's hard or soft or empty. It's pretty normal for laying hens to eat a lot and have hard crops sometimes, but can lead to sour crop.
(1/2)
>>
>>2463590
(2/2)
Next check her eyes and ears and nose. See if she has and discolouration, discharge, or excess skin or anything.
The most important part is either getting a stethoscope or putting your ear to the quail (I usually put my ear right next to the chickens mouth or on its back)
To make sure she's not making any weird sound while breathing.
Another really important thing to do is to open the quails mouth now I'm not sure what colour a quails mouth is supposed to be you're going to have to find that out on your own, but if it's white ish. There's a red bump on its mouth or throat, or anything like that then that's bad.
Oh yeah. Make sure you give her a nice ruffle and see if she's losing more feathers than usual. Another really important thing to look at is her poops. Again I'm not sure what quail poops are supposed to look like but I awake it's the same as chicken and dove poops. There should be a little bit of clear water around it, a little bit of white and aboht 65% or so should be a earthy weird kind of green (too green she might have salmonella) or a brown.

Tell me the results of her examination ITT.

And here's some questions that would be very helpful for me to help you:
Did you get her from someone reliable?
Is it hot outside?
Does she have vaccines?
Has she laid eggs recently?
Are you sure there's none under her?
What is their set up like? I need to know if they're outdoors and how long if ever do they free roam and shit like that.
Also the dimensions of her coop or pen or whatever and stuff.
Do they have food available at all times?
Do you put any kind of vitamins or supplements into the water?
Is it cold outside?
Is their food specially formulated for quails?
And how old is your quail?

And lastly, when are you going to take her to the vet, op?

I hope she gets better soon and wish you both the best of luck.
>>
>>2463590
>>2463591
too late, it's fucking dead
>>
>>2463591
Oh yeah.
I started examining my chickens like that because it works to find almost all symptoms of any chicken disease illness virus or injury they could have.

The only three times I've had to take any of my birds to the vet for a potential illness I was right all three times about what was wrong with them.
But then again, the really important part is spending time with your bird and to be able to recognize what is normal
behavior for your bird and what isn't.
>>
>>2463592
Fuck!
What the hell. All of that for nothing. ;_;
R. I. P birdie.
>>
>>2463590
>>2463591
I'll keep these in mind for the future, but since you asked,
We got them from a farmer at a reptile show, can't remember the name of the farm,
Have no clue if She s vaccinated
She hasn't laid since we got her
I've been keeping them indoors in an old rabbit cage while we build a larger coop.
Although when I'm home for the day I let them free roam in the backyard
It's about 77 degrees out, and there's shade and food/water available to them outside
Uh about 18 in by 36 in, they have a bed of straw that I change every couple days or so
Yeah I always keep food in their bowl, they go through water like crazy though so sometimes it's hard to keep up with
Their food is like a general poultry feed, the farmer told me they could eat pretty much any type of chicken or Turkey feed
No supplements or anything in the water
And I have no idea how old they are
>>
What an idiot.
Birds don't up and die individually.
You could have prevented this op.
Give your quails to someone who knows what the hell they're doing and kill yourself.
>>
Holy shit my other one just died what the fuck is happening
>>2463599
Don't yell at me I did everything they told me to do when I got them ;-;
>>
>>2463598
>doesn't remember farm name or farmer
Look this might just be me but I think it's very very important to know who you're buying from and find feedback or details about their farm. I had a lady sell me a pigeon with paramyxovirus. Some people will try and pawn off sick birds.
>reptile show selling dinosaurs
Wat
>buys quails without proper housing
Generally you're never supposes to buy an animal without having the proper housing set up. Even the proper temporary housing. One of those pens for chicks and a small dog kennel to make a nest out of would have probably been more suitable.
>general poultry food
Did you even make sure to read the food you got? It should include quails somewhere on the bag, and this is kind of dumb. Like listening to the dicks at pet smart telling you to buy all of their plastic products for your chinchillas.
You should always research the dietary needs of your new pet and instead of giving them what they can eat giving them what is best for them to eat.
I don't know about quails specifically, but I'd assume a kind of wild quail blend and some captive quail pellets would be better.
>can't tell how old the quails are
Come on man. You should definitely read up on the breeding age of the pet you have.
Then you can tell how old they must be or if they're not laying yet how old they're not.
Then if you knew about the different kind of developmental stages of your quail you'd be able to pin point a pretty close estimate of its age.
>doesn't ask how old the quails are or research dietary needs.
This is pretty much a huge fuck up on your part.
>>
>>2463602
You didn't do shit.
You impulsively bought two quails without knowing anything about them, wasted my time with your bait, and killed them.
>>
>>2463622
I followed the instructions I was given, not my fault if they apparently weren't the right instructions
>>
>>2463620
Quails make good feeders, depending on the reptile.
>>
>>2463627
My best friend is actually a reptile breeder and if/when they ever later eggs I was going to give her some for her reptiles
>>
>>2463625
It is your fault.
It's completey your fault.
I don't understand how stupid you could be to just believe some strange man handing out quails or to not even attempt to google shit like "best housing for quails? " "treats for quails" "best food for quails" "best bedding for quails" ect.
You should be quailed the fuck out of your mind with quail care guides and cute quail videos in your YouTube recommendations, quail care guides all over your browsing history, quail specific forum memberships quail products websites ect.
For you to buy an animal and think "lmao this guy didn't tell me anything about these guys except what they eat I guess I'll just wing it" shows that you're a complete idiot.
And regardless of course it's you're fault
You could have done better and you could have prevented this or at least have the knowledge to know if it was a fatal disease.
It would be different if this was in the normal scope of slight stupidity.
I can understand something just not being noticed like a certain symptom or behavior, bit this is completely not giving a shit and deciding to be retarded.
>>
>>2463627
I actually didn't know this.
My dad had a giant ass Burmese python when I was younger and he'd feed it dead chickens every once and a while, though so it makes sense.
>>
>>2463633
Sorry I assumed the person that raised them for a living knew what they were doing lmao and they weren't even showing symptoms until this morning, it's literally not my fault
>>
okay, so this thread has turned into shitty baiting. time to report and move on
>>
>>2463633
> quailed the fuck out of your mind with quail care guides and cute quail videos in your YouTube recommendations, quail care guides all over your browsing history, quail specific forum memberships quail products websites ect

Why am I laughing so hard? Thanks for the chuckle m8. Ps I'm a long-time quail owner and I can't even comprehend how badly OP had to fuck up for this to happen.
>>
>>2463663
You're welcome, anon.

I really can't imagine anyone not being obsessed with giving their pet the most adequate care, though.
To this day I watch some documentaries about chickens with my chickens when they pop up in my recommendations.
It's been a year and I'm still CLUCKED and SMASHED out of my mind.
>>
Everybody fucking relax they can't help that they were given shitty advice
>>
>>2463688
You know what would be useful? Technology that lets you check out thousands of resources from your home. Imagine the possibilities! One could even inform themselves about the care of the pets they are planning to buy!
>>
>>2463694
You seem angry, anon. Who hurt you?
>>
>>2463688
You study BEFORE YOU FUCKING GET ANIMALS their care requirements. GOD DAMN IT I want to eradicate fucking humans already. There should have been a licensing system for pets a LONG fucking time ago. People should report that they are QUALIFIED to keep animals before they're allowed to keep them.
>>
>>2463704
Not that anon, but it hurts me when living things die just because some retard doesn't know what google is and can't control their buying impulses.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.