[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HELP /an/! I won a hermit crab at a fair. I remember reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: beauty.png (2MB, 1438x1261px) Image search: [Google]
beauty.png
2MB, 1438x1261px
HELP /an/!

I won a hermit crab at a fair. I remember reading some threads that said that they treat them really badly at places like that, and burn their shells to get into the painted ones and shit like that.

I won one to try to get it out of it's misery. I tried to ask the lady about it but she new fuck all except "they eat fruit and dry cereal".

I was given about a 7 by 12 inch container to hold it in, but I know that's probably too small.

His name is Krusty. He is missing a part of one of his legs.

I want him to be happy. Please help.
>>
File: myboy.png (2MB, 1439x1049px) Image search: [Google]
myboy.png
2MB, 1439x1049px
>>2462415

Look at his face. This is a face that deserves to be happy.
>>
>>2462415

Why don't you Google "proper hermit crab care" or you know buy a fucking book
>>
He'd be happier dead than in your care.
>>
>>2462425
>>2462426

Thanks
>>
>>2462415
well, on behalf of hermit crabs, I'd like to thank you, op.
Here's some helpful links
https://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9env-hxO0g

and that's all I got. I've never owned a hermit crab myself, but I find making accounts for forums for the animal you're taking care of is really useful.
And the Happy Tails bullshit has given me reliable tips on some of my pets, though I can't exactly be sure this is a proper set up. I hope you find out everything you need to take care of him.
Good luck with your new pet! I hope you make him happy!
>>
It's been a while since I've owned any, but here's a few tips from what I remember:

-Get a bigger container. Something around 1x2 ft should be a good start at that size.
-Use wet play sand as a substrate. You'll want at least 3 or 4 inches worth so he can dig.
-Add a few shells so he can switch. Those painted shells aren't good for them and they should always have a few options available.
-Get a hide or two. Coconuts will work and they match thematically. Also, add some things for him to climb on. Cholla wood works well. This is important as hermit crabs really love to climb.
-Remember to give them dechlorinated water, fresh and salt. Don't use table salt. Get it from a fish store. Each dish should be big enough that they can submerge, but shallow enough that they can climb back out. Adding a few rocks to the bottom will help with that.
-Consider getting one or two more crabs. They're not exactly social, but they do better in small groups. Just make sure they have enough space and ample food so they don't fight.

Also, as others have said, look up some guides. They're not as easy to care for as most pet stores might have you think. However, they're neat pets and can live for quite a while. Treat them well if you're actually going to keep them.
>>
>>2462430
>>2462435
Thank you guys! I had to drive up to college today, and my girlfriend has the crab with her.

I'll tell her what to do when she wakes up.

Anything else?
>>
>>2462415
I'd also try to look at the other hermit crab related thread on the first page. It seems to have a lot more do's and dont's in it.
Guess /an/'s helpful after the animal dies.
>>
>>2462453
I saw that thread.

What a fucking mess. I don't want to be that guy. I want my little guy to be happy.

If I have to go back and save 1 or 2 more, I'll try to. No animal deserves a fate like that.
>>
>>2462457
>If I have to go back and save 1 or 2 more, I'll try to. No animal deserves a fate like that.
Please don't. I understand that it's hard to see the individuals suffering but by giving them money you are supporting animal cruelty. You are telling them that it's ok and even profitable.
>>
>>2462415
What a disgusting shell. Can't you get a natural looking shell for him? That one's painful to look at.

Thanks for saving him though, OP.
>>
do not they live under water?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.