[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So... is he molting or is he dead? I found him soaking in his

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20170822_212136548.jpg (4MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170822_212136548.jpg
4MB, 3006x5344px
So... is he molting or is he dead? I found him soaking in his water dish and he lost a leg shortly after. I picked him up a few times because I didn't understand what was going on. He's very small and he's been in this position for about a week now. It kinda smells like fish, but it's very very faint. What's happening to my little guy? :(
>>
I dripped a couple drops of water on him and his eye stalks did that. Is that a surefire sign he's passed away?
>>
RIP in peench
>>
>>2462364
>I picked him up a few times
Assuming you always have this kind of behavior with it, you probably stressed it to death. Hermit crabs like to be left the fuck alone. Especially during molting.
>>
>>2462374
I understand that now, but it was at the very beginning of the process while his body was still moving a little
>>
>>2462377
You should probably do some better reading on how to take care of them if you're gonna get another one. Your tank set up is probably shit. Looks like a rabbit cage or some sort. Probably not deep enough for it to completely burrow and probably does a shit job of keeping humidity.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170822-215038.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170822-215038.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>2462379
Hamster cage actually. I mist the sand and the material on the side to keep humidity
>>
>>2462381
The cage, and lack of humidity is why it died.
In its last moments it crawled into the water dish trying to take advantage of what moisture there was.
>>
>>2462381
Humidity isn't just about how wet stuff is. It's about how much moisture is in the air. Crabs need moisture to molt and to all around be jolly. Just get a 10-20g aquarium/terrarium if you're tight on space. Much better at holding humidity than a barred cage.
>>
File: Sad_salad.png (322KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
Sad_salad.png
322KB, 500x385px
>>2462364

You fucking killed your own pet because you didn't educate yourself on its needs and how to properly care for it.

There are few things in life that anger me as much as what you've done. Fucking jackass.
>>
File: 1499881472191.gif (96KB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
1499881472191.gif
96KB, 350x233px
>>2462381
Lol this is next level
>>
>>2462381
Fucking idiot, killed your pet with pure ignorance.
Read a book next time, faggot. Better yet don't get another one and stick to feeding stray cats and birdfeeders.
>>
>>2462381
lmfao putting a hermit crab in a hamster cage
>>
He probably could have nigger rigged it by placing a wet towel over the cage twice a day but that woukd require OP to have some basic understanding of humidity in the first place
>>
OP here. I've noticed very slight movements of his legs. I've added more sand and gave him money shade. I'm buying a 10 gallon aquarium for my little fellow right away. I apologise for being a terrible pet owner.
>>
>>2462564

have you tried microwaving it (heard it helps)
>>
File: OP.png (545KB, 835x480px) Image search: [Google]
OP.png
545KB, 835x480px
>>2462564
You're a pixar movie villain, m8
>>
>>2462381
>The Beatles Love
Nice. That version of Get Back gets me fuckin hyped every time
>>
Y'all aren't very nice
>>
OP here I stuck the crab up my pooper.
>>
Crab here I am now stuck in a pooper but at least it's more moist than that hell cage
>>
I bought a new tank for him and his buddy. Will post soon
>>
File: Screenshot_20170824-213414.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170824-213414.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
Better? How many crabs is ideal for this size tank? Is 2 or 3 fine?
>>
>>2463906
>thousands of online resources detailing hermit crab care
>OP asks a Bosnian autism support group for advice instead
>>
>>2463920
Fair enough. But one thing I can't seem to find an answer to: Should I leave the tank light on overnight?
>>
>>2463906
Join Hermitcrabassociation. I was a member when I had them. The people there use autism for the good of the crabs.

They're more work than you'd think. You have to provide salt water, at least 6 shells per crab, at least double the substrate of the largest crab, provide a varied omnivorous diet, etc... These guys can live for decades in the wild but are lucky to make it a year with what mall kiosks sell.
>>
>>2463923
Where do you think hermit crabs live that would make it reasonable to keep them in bright light 24/7?
>>
>>2462381
Crabfryer 3000
>>
>>2463927
Thank you very much, I appreciate it
>>
>>2463928
The sun.
>>
>>2463928
>>2463973
>24/7
>The sun
Um...
>>
>>2462406
i use one of those plastic containers from target.
>>
>>2463978
Oh yeah I forgot that it gets dark on the sun too.
>>
>>2463906
>That tank size
>Sand
It's not your fault you don't know. Hermet crabs are on the very hard to care for end of EXOTIC pets they aren't for beginners.
1. you need a 40 gallon tank minimum, they need space to move
2. Do not use sand, it is to dry when it doesn't have an ocean to make it constantly moist, use eco earth It holds water very easily, This is important because they only molt in wet sand, eco earth simulates this
3. They are very social animals and require to live in a community of atLeast 7 but I would recommend 10-12 as the minimum instead
Most people don't know that hermit crabs can live full lives of 30 years in the wild and can potentially live even longer in captivity. If you want a real beginner crustacean then try crayfish, They are easy as FUCK! Just a tank, water and a filter is all you need. You can pretty much feed it anything you want
>>
File: 1474749338606.jpg (48KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
1474749338606.jpg
48KB, 640x853px
Why do people even get hermit crabs as a first crustacean when crayfish, crawdaddies, shrimp, etc are 1000 times easier to care for? Is it because nobody tells them what they're in for and they don't bother with research?
>>
>>2464083
They buy them out of pure ignorance since so many shitty pet stores sell them to unwitting customers. Hermit crabs are cheap and people think they're cute. I have never met anybody who kept a crayfish but knew kids who kept hermit crabs growing up. I'm pretty sure all of their hermit crabs died early due to poor care. However, since hermit crabs are invertebrates, those people most likely assumed they probably don't live long.
>>
>>2464083
I can't get mad at people for it. They have been tricked into thinking they are simple little starter pets that only live for a year or 2. The employees from the stores they buy them from give the customer wrong information not just because they don't care but they most likely don't know it's wrong, I don't even think the business selling them know it's wrong. It doesn't help that hermit crabs are so cute and harmless making them very attractive pets to parents
>>
>>2463906
>How many crabs is ideal for this size tank?
>>
>>2464083
because hermit crabs are sold for nothing at mall kiosks and at any tourist location and everything you listed can only be found at specialized pet stores
>>
>>2464083
>Is it because nobody tells them what they're in for and they don't bother with research?

Yes, shitty tourist shops sell them to 14 year olds who can barely take care of themselves let alone an exotic pet. Why they sell hermit crabs and not any other crustacean is beyond me.
>>
>>2462381
>I mist the sand to keep humidity

why do people buy animals and not read the very first thing about how they are cared for?
>>
>>2464370
Lack of quality control.
>>
>>2462381
Capped
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.