[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Today I just learnt scaly leg mites are a thing, I always thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: P_20170819_150315.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170819_150315.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
Today I just learnt scaly leg mites are a thing, I always thought my silkies fucked genes did this to them, the way it fucked the rest of their legs. I never bread them because of this.
But fuck me, woke up and now this poor girl has these massive lumps on her now.
She's totally docile now, and seems in pain. Is it worth giving her painkillers or should I euthanize her?
>>
>>2459618
Apparently Ivomec can be applied to the birds skin, which will help kill the mites. It is quite bad at this point, but if you do some research I think you may be able to save the chicky
>>
>>2459618
Take a look at that picture and think very hard about how it looks
yes, euthanize it.
>>
>>2459618
jfc OP
>>
>>2459618
What am I even looking at here
>>
>>2459618
I don't really know what I'm looking at here but I'd recommend seeing a vet.
>>
>>2459618
What the fuck is this a picture of??
>>
How have you not attempted medical intervention on the bird up until this point? This literally qualifies as animal abuse
>>
>>2459659
>>2459684
they're suppose to be the feet of a bird; probably a chicken.
>>
>>2459618
>letting it get this bad without even considering vet intervention
What even made you realise that it's not "fucked genes"? Take your bird to the vet right the fuck now for god's sake.
>>
>>2459684
>>2459684
>>2460052

the feet of a chicken that has a nasty skin affliction. It has also lost the feathers on its feet, which are regrowing in sheaths.

OP is a faggot of the highest calling.
>>
>>2459618
You're a huge piece of shit for letting this happen lad.
Either that or you're just flat out, genuinely, in the full intended meaning of the word, completely fucking retarded. For god's sake I hope it's the latter.
>>
Vet said I was being a pussy, that the meme about these being mini velociraptors wasn't a joke, that she'll be happy to pull through hardship if she's better. Ms Vet's protip: If you're not willing to put in effort, just kill her now, but if you're able to give her 24/7 care, she'll be happy.

She's on painkillers, local anesthetic, and I've soaked her legs in antiseptic, anesthetics, and all that shit.

Most of what was on her legs was dead scar tissue that dropped off after two hours of soaking in warm water and epsom salts. Anything white/yellow is now gone, underneath fresh, soft scales/skin, and the pustules are a quarter of their old size.
>>2460085
Nigga I took the feathers off to clear everything up.

Anyway, vet said this is happening to lots of local chickens, it's wet so everything's muddy and chooks have no way to bathe, and native birds have some viruses they're spreading. I'm giving some medicine to my whole flock now.
>>
>>2460195
Post pics? From the OP pic I would have thought that foot is gone but I'm interested in seeing how it clears up.

How did you get it to soak it for two hours? I'm imagining you wedging her into a bucket.
>>
>>2460206
I'll get some pics now, and nah, I partially filled my bath and gently held her in it. I had enough water that she could float, her legs dangling.
As for the other stuff, which I applied before and after the soak, I mixed it up in a spray bottle and kept her legs moist with it. Did that for about half and hour constantly, she seemed to cheer up after that.
I've just been spraying her feet again, I'll give her another fresh soak to hopefully take more off.
She's eating and drinking well, I've got some painkillers in her water, and she doesn't seem to have reacted badly, despite thinning her blood no wounds have opened back up.
Pics in a sec...
>>
File: P_20170820_125824.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170820_125824.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>2460206
Best pic I could get for now, she's back to her old active self and just wants to snuggle, God forbid I pick her up.
I'll try for more after I soak her, soaks usually calm her down
>>
>>2460219
Still looks gross as fuck but it looks much, much better already. Might want to clip her nails too. I'm glad she is doing alright.
>>
>>2459618
holy shit. this is next level.
>>
>>2460243
Silkie nails are always fucked, but yeah op, that shit needs a trim
>>
>>2459689
Not with a flock of dozens of birds, I try to inspect them all every day but those who roost in trees can go weeks without me seeing them.
>>2460069
>What even made you realise that it's not "fucked genes"?
The blisters. The scales, that I now know are scaly leg mites, I have seen on every silkie I've ever seen/bought. Literally every one, in every saleyard/whatever. I just thought it was part of their makeup, like the extra one to three toes, but since I noticed blisters yesterday I realized that's not it, and that I'm gonna need to heavily treat my flock.
This was the only bird I've found that had anything anywhere near this bad, and I've made sure to check every single bird I have now.
>>2460116
If I knew I would have stopped it. There's nothing I'd like more than to do a daily inspection on every single animal I have, but considering that I just spend three hours chasing down the last four chickens in my flock to inspect them, there's just not the time.
That said, if at any point I'm put through the suffering this bird has gone through, I accept it will be fully deserved.
Additionally, weekly full flock checkups are now unconditional. This shit ain't happening again.

>>2460206
> I'm imagining you wedging her into a bucket
Given the shit I just went through to get her to soak again, no. This time I literally just lay in the bath with her for a couple hours, cleaning off her feet from time to time.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.