[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some good species of snail for a beginner to purchase?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: snel.png (273KB, 797x390px) Image search: [Google]
snel.png
273KB, 797x390px
What are some good species of snail for a beginner to purchase? Any good sites for snail care info?
>>
File: 1503037554967.jpg (100KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1503037554967.jpg
100KB, 960x960px
>>2459456
Would be interested too.
Found this pic on /b/ and it looks awesome.
>>
>>2459456
>>2459681
These are illegal, because they're invasive and highly destructive
>>
>>2459682
They're illegal in America. They're perfectly legal in many European and other countries who have harsher winters that they couldn't survive if escaped/released, like England.

Also it's only a few species of GALS that's highly invasive such as achatina fulica because of the amount of eggs they lay which can be more than 200 in a clutch, others like archachatina marginata (like in this picture >>2459681) only lay between 3-16 eggs per clutch, makes them a lot less invasive.

>>2459456
>>2459681
Neither are really any more harder then the others to be honest, some like to be watered a little more but they're all pretty similar they just come in different sizes. Achatina fulica is the smallest and most common one as pets, they're still a decent size and will be much bigger than your average garden snail but they're still like but the biggest species like achatina achatina or archachatina marginata can grow to almost twice their size. Marginatas are my favourite species personally.

For food they pretty much eat any kind of greens and vegetables, I usually give mine a hand full of the salad mix and some vegetables like a carrot or sweet potato, they also really love mushrooms above all else I've found. Just stay away from things like onions.

They also need a cuttlefish bone at all times, their shells are made of calcium and they won't get enough from the food and will not be very healthy without one and not live very long. So make sure they have access to one always.

There's a lot of websites with this information really and it's all pretty much the same sort of stuff. http://www.petsnails.co.uk is a decent one and can also tell you about different species, what size tank to have per number of snails and all sorts.

Make sure you sift through the dirt for eggs every few days, I usually do it twice a week. Otherwise you'll have a lot of baby snails, if you get a species that lays large clutches.
>>
>>2459690
Thanks for the infos :)
>>
>>2459690
Are helix pomatia easy to obtain in the United States as pets? I live in the Midwest.
>>
>>2459952
I can't say sorry, I'm from Europe so don't know much about the snail scene in the US.

Your best bet would be to just google around for a breeder in your state I imagine.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.