[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need advice on the most strong and lowest maintenance aquarium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

File: lzb7cIs.jpg (174KB, 567x646px) Image search: [Google]
lzb7cIs.jpg
174KB, 567x646px
After many attempts to introduce plants into the aquarium with my slider turtle, I realized that no plant was spared by the beast that eats literally anything I put into the tank.
Some time ago I found pic related for sale in transparent plastic glasses.
I carved some holes into the plastic so that water could freely flow, and put the whole thing into the tank. Leaving the plants inside those containers like that, the turtle was not able to reach them and eat them.
The only problem was that after few weeks the plants died anyway, probably because I randomly chose them based on their aesthetic appearance, without knowing the needs of each one concerning lighting, fertilization etc.
Now, I would like to try with the plants in the glasses again, but this time I would like to choose types of plants that could survive this kind of layout, so in a few words I need to know which aquarium plants
>do not need to be planted in a substrate
>do not need to be fertilized or trimmed,
>do not need specific temperature, lighting and water features.

In short, is there any kind of "all purpose" plant that left in the water that can live without maintenance?
I really liked the display in the little clay pot too.
>>
This were the plastic glasses btw
>>
>>2456893
>After many attempts to introduce plants into the aquarium with my slider turtle
I've found your problem.

Easy aquarium plants include Java Fern, Various Mosses like Java Moss and Cryptocoryne wendtii. They're not even resembling natural companions to a slider though. Certain things are just nearly impossible to do. Keeping turtles with any plants is like trying to keep Mussels with Starfish. I mean think of it like this. If you had no food except once a day, yet your captor planted your apartment with lettuce and edible plants, how many plants do you think would be left after a week?
>>
>>2456906
So the videos I see on youtube of turtles living in tanks with plants are supposed to be fake plants?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIIColgnVk

I know there are different kind of turtles with different kind of behaviours, but after trying with various plants (anubia, water hyacinth, microsurom, pothos, even lucky bamboos) the only way to prevent the turtle from eating them is to physically separate them from him.
Since I don't want to take away space for him to swim by setting an area of the tank for the plants exclusively, I came up with this transparent glasses idea.
Can Java Fern and Cryptocoryne wendtii be set in a little pot like the ones in the pic I posted?
>>
>>2456997
That's a pretty trixy setup. Several things:
- Some of those plants are clearly fake like the Opuntia, and I'm not sure about the others (The little swordplant looking thing on the right and the Juncus looking plant in the center)
- He's built a fucking WALL of Lucky Bamboo to guard plants that clearly would have been eaten by the turtles
- The turtles are babies, which means they're not big heavy strong clunky things able to just plow right through that wall of Lucky Bamboo yet. Once they get big enough, this setup wont' work.
- The Juncus MAY be real, and that's your best bet is to find plants that are really unpalatable like Juncus, Eleocharis, etc. I'm not sure if Turtles will eat even those though.

>Can Java Fern and Cryptocoryne wendtii be set in a little pot like the ones in the pic I posted?
Absolutely, though Java Fern is typically tied to rocks or wood and allowed to attach to those, rather than being planted. Cryptocoryne wendtii is one of the easiest aquarium plants to grow - they don't need much light and reproduce well and look nice too. I wouldn't use them because they don't match the turtle's natural habitat though.
>>
>>2457187
I want to append several things.

1: What I said about C. wendtii goes for Java Fern too - easy to reproduce and requires little light
2: You're basically correct that you have to separate plants from turtles physically somehow - this is exactly like Crayfish/Lobsters. I like to make native river tanks and I always know going in I can have plants OR crayfish, but not both because the crayfish will eat anything green (including the algae) in the tank. Freshwater turtles tend to be just like this.
>>
>>2457187
Yes I noticed the lucky bamboo wall and it seemed a good and fancy idea until I remembered that my slider eats bamboo too, and is also big enough to tear down that wall with his big paws.

But there are indeed plenty of people that not only put plants into turtle tanks, but sometimes also fishes.
I gave up on the latter as soon as I noticed how voracious my turtle is.
>>
File: Path Rush (Juncus tenuis).jpg (606KB, 800x716px) Image search: [Google]
Path Rush (Juncus tenuis).jpg
606KB, 800x716px
>>2457194
>But there are indeed plenty of people that not only put plants into turtle tanks
Yeah because the turtles are babies. I've never seen adult freshwater turtles in a planted tank. That's like a living buffet for them. And fish do fine with turtles as long as some of them can't be caught or they're too large for the turtles or you're constantly replacing them.

>I gave up on the latter as soon as I noticed how voracious my turtle is
Wise decision. I assume you live in America. Try an experiement: Plant pic related. Plant it directly into the substrate on the bottom of the tank. If you have enough light (it doesn't need a crazy amount, but won't do well with low light), it will spread if the turtles don't eat it and you can literally make carpets of "grass". You could limit its spread by walling off parts of the substrate if you wanted or just pulling up any you don't want. You can typically find the plant at the edges of forests on paths and places humans have trampled down and around the edges of ponds. It only gets about 10" high max.
>>
File: Dwarf Acorus (Acorus gramineus).jpg (117KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf Acorus (Acorus gramineus).jpg
117KB, 600x600px
Heres another suggestion. I've kept these before and they have pretty low care requirements, though like the Path Rush, they'll do better with more lighting and spread better. Also, a lot of aquarium plants are actually marginals, so they can survive just fine (and sometimes do better) growing out of the water entirely. So if you have enough space at the top of the aquarium, you could consider a sort of mini bog garden to plant these.
>>
>>2457199
I don't live in america.
I also don't have substrate in the tank, this is also why I was searching for the easiest plant ever.
Pic related was the very first set-up of the tank, and it ended with each of the plants quickly eaten and/or destroyed.
>>
File: 07.jpg (4MB, 2918x2189px) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
4MB, 2918x2189px
>>2457205
forgot pic
>>
>>2457205
Well, you could still probably get a hold of Acorus gramineus, even if you have to buy it online. Just plant it in one of your cups and hide it behind rocks or something. It's pretty tough so I don't think the turtles will tear it up, but these are turtles we're talking about so who knows.
>>
>>2457206
why is your lucky bamboo wearing condoms
>>
>>2457294
lel
because I didn't want the turtle to eat the roots. didn't imagine he would have slowly bitten the trunks killing the bamboos anyway
>>
bump for moar plants
>>
>>2457206
i have read that this calcium turtle you have is bad, use cuttlebone instead
>>
>>2457784
>calcium turtle

But that's not what I have. it's just a random decoration anon, it's not edible.
>>
File: marmng1.jpg (84KB, 570x519px) Image search: [Google]
marmng1.jpg
84KB, 570x519px
what do you guys think of marimo balls? are they easy enough to have?
>>
Bumpity
>>
>>2456906
but I'm jacked and I have a starfish???
>>
>>2459378
?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35rsnQoHE1g

beautiful
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.