[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people who own chickens dislike roosters? Or are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 22

Why do so many people who own chickens dislike roosters? Or are at least nervous around them if the off chance that they have one. I've seen many posts on backyard chickens that go something like

>I have to make sure my roo (a retarded and unnecessary shortening of the word rooster) is out of the coop before I even head in

or

>if he gives you any trouble, give him a light bump with a broom or something

or even

>I might have to cull my roo (there's that stupid nickname again) if he doesn't quit being aggressive

Hitting him is only going to give him an even better reason to see you as a threat. I've had my black cochin rooster for two years so far, and I got him from a friend when he was one, so I didn't have the benefit of having hand raised him. Sure he didn't like me at first, and had attacked me once or twice, but I persisted in gently restraining him, picking him up and walking around with him until it got through to him that I wasn't going to hurt him. Sixth months into this routine, and I he didn't mind me in close proximity to him at all. In fact, he will eat from my hand every day and doesn't at all mind me picking him up. I love him, he's probably my favorite and friendliest bird. All I had to do was be nice to him and I earned his trust. Maybe the bitchy old country women at backyard chickens should put down the broom/axe and exercise a little bit of patience with their birds. I don't understand why they would rather kill their single rooster and go without one, than put in a little bit of effort and put up with a couple of scratches until you get through to him. It's just a rooster, you old bag. The spurs don't hurt that bad.

Do you have a rooster anon? Post a picture of him. Pic related would have been a picture of mine, but it's 4:34, my chicken coop is unlit and I have to leave in ten minutes.
>>
I've only had one rooster but he crowed every morning so I got rid of him. Not only was it annoying to me, but I have neighbors as well and I didn't want to wake them up at 5am every morning.

I think the constant crowing + not producing any eggs is why nobody wants roosters.
>>
>>2453509
I sleep through the crowing, and it doesn't bother me when he does throughout the day. By "got rid of him" did you mean you did the responsible thing and killed him? Or did you through him to the side of the road and leave him to wander around until he's hit by a car? Even more so since you didn't mention him being aggressive, there was no reason to react with hostility. Golden rule motherfucker.
>>
Killed one of my roosters because he'd rip all the hens feathers out. Not even with his spurs, he'd just stand there, grab a beak full of feathers and tear them out.
>>
>>2453512
>By "got rid of him" did you mean you did the responsible thing and killed him? Or did you through him to the side of the road and leave him to wander around until he's hit by a car? Even more so since you didn't mention him being aggressive, there was no reason to react with hostility

Not them? But that is a SHITLOAD of assumption there. They very may well have just given the bird to someone else.
>>
>>2453492
Noise. Its the only reason my gf's family got rid of hers and only reason my friends only stock hens.

On a sidenote all birds are stubborn and self-serving. They will do fuck all for you unless it benefits them in someway, hence why literally every guide to taming any bird ever is to use a buttload of patience and treats. People vastly underestimate the longevity of bird distrust too. Birds throw people if they cannot win them around in five minutes like a dog.
>>
>>2453512
Just because you're an absurdly heavy sleeper doesn't mean the rest of the world is. I sleep like a rock and still wake up to the rooster when I visit my parents. That Anon was talking about empathy for your neighbors.
>>
I live in the suburb and while no laws say we can't have chickens, it's a big grey area that basically boils down too 'your neighbors better like you' or else they will find every excuse to can you for them. The primary reason is for noise, so no one can ever keep a rooster for long and often hens depending what breed they are due to noise.

Some roosters aren't aggressive but at the farm I worked out my boss had multiple roosters and they destroyed the fuck out of the hens feathers, yet hardly scrabble with each other. No idea what breed they were and while they did crow sometimes, it wasn't a lot.

I'd love to get roosters but that's because I want to mount them up as taxidermy but their crowing would start before they're old enough to cull. My neighbors would throw a fit. I'm getting ready to incubate some eggs but I haven't decided on what breed is supposedly the quietest and if I get cockerals I'll have to pawn them on someone else.
>>
>>2453492
What are you talking about? Roo's are fucking assholes who'll attack the back of your legs
>>
File: 1502224816970.jpg (27KB, 314x246px) Image search: [Google]
1502224816970.jpg
27KB, 314x246px
>>2454567
>roo

Stop it now
>>
>>2454567
Maybe what you need to do is do what was outlined in my OP. Gentle but firm restraint when he attempts an attack, but pick him up and carry him around regardless if he does or not. I've done this with several roosters over the course of my life, and within a few months had them actually stopping so I could pick them up. The one I have at the moment will actually sit on my lap if I'm in a chair he can access, or sitting cross legged on the ground. Maybe you people are doing something wrong.
>>
>>2453492

I always had good roosters.

The only two I ever had to kill were these two little bantam shits that somebody gave me because they didn't want them anymore. They had the most hysterical crowing noises. They mostly stuck with each other, so I figured I would just let them live out their lives on my farm. They were considerably smaller than my hens and far tinier than the roosters, so I figured what would be the harm. But the clever little shits would work as a fucking team to try to pin a hen and fuck them. Not wanting inferior manlet chicken genes in my flocks, I killed them both.
>>
File: pussy_dog.png (1MB, 1270x615px) Image search: [Google]
pussy_dog.png
1MB, 1270x615px
If I didn't have neighbors I'd get a rooster again as my rooster would scare all my neighbors dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWAaPDkoC4I
>>
Roosters are loud and aggressive. Hens, on the other hand, are super cute. I had two hens that loved to be held and would sleep in your arms like a puppy or something.
>>
>>2453492
It depends on the personality of the cock senpai, I've hand trained my boy into a cuddlecock by petting him and picking him up. So towards me he was the sweetest thing ever but towards the hens he was a bit too aggressive, the hens would get nervous around his appearance and i love my hens more than one cock. Also if you got multiple cocks then the changes are you gonna get bloody cockfights. And that just sucks senpai. So i Like to keep only hens because the setting is way more relaxed.
>>
>>2453492
Is he taking a shit?
>>
File: 20170523_194647.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170523_194647.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
I've noticed this too.
I don't know why people think "oh wow. I didn't socialize this animal well at all... Guess I have to kill it!" But i suppose it happens with all types of animals.

My rooster's almost perfect. His only two flaws are
1) he has a weird foot fetish and if I try to chase him or pick him up while my feet are close enough for him to bite he'll grab onto my foot like it was a hen and hump it until he finishes. Sometime's he'll hump the floor as well, but never his "sister"

and 2) He could crow less.
It's been way too hot outside so they've been living in doors for the summer. Sometimes my hen will start yelling at him if she wants more room to lay so I take him out and he'll jump onto my bed and nuzzle against me and fall asleep.

Pic is of my darling little rooster.

I have a whole folder of pictures of him.
>>
>>2454797
Post more.
>>
File: 20170513_080846.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170513_080846.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>2455791
>>
File: 20170527_125619.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170527_125619.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
him and my hen at the beach
>>
here's one of his baby pictures
>>
File: IMG_20170630_234552.jpg (1MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170630_234552.jpg
1MB, 1944x2592px
here he is browsing his favourite forums before bed.
>>
File: IMG_20170615_152341.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170615_152341.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>
>>
File: IMG_20170618_133454.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_133454.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
He's a good rooster. I caught him laying on his sister's egg the other day to keep it warm.
He wakes me up at 6 or 7 every morning, cuddles all night, and takes good care of my hen.
pic is him waking up in the morning
>>
File: IMG_20170812_233155.jpg (17KB, 312x416px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170812_233155.jpg
17KB, 312x416px
Oh, I almost forgot his best picture.
>>
>>2453492
imagine being such a pussy you're afraid of a rooster. just lol, what the fuck is it going to do to you?
>>
>>2455810
You're living the dream anon. Who even needs dogs and cats?

>>2455820
>i-it drew a drop of two of blood!

Even this only applies if the person is wearing shorts, and they shouldn't be.
>>
>>2453492
Cock fighting exists for a reason OP. Chickens can get fucking vicious when they need to, both hens and roosters. The phrase, "Henpecked to death." exists for a reason too. Especially when you take into account their dew claws.

The story here is probably exactly the same as with a lot of dog owners: idiots were probably too stupid to do basic research into the breed of the cock they were getting and wound up with an individual that is more aggressive than usual.
>>
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/best-natured-rooster.605880/

>If you are going to raise them from a young age, never coddle your roosters. They should always be a little afraid of you. One that is not afraid of you, can and will attack.
>They should always be a little afraid of you

What the hell? One of the reasons why I'm nice to my cochin is because when they feel like they have to get away from me for their own safety, I feel like shit. Byc is telling people to fuck up good natured roosters by playing mind games and "keeping them in their place"..
>>
>>2455877
This is true to an extent, I remember a Filipino cock fighting anon on /r9k/ called them gladiator animals or something. Controlled breeding has probably had a similar effect on chickens as it has had on domestic dogs, I can't imagine a bantam frizzle rooster as a bloodthirsty warrior.
>>
File: 20170126_163220.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_163220.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>2455875
I have dogs as well, but they never want to nuzzle me until I spoon them. :(
My rooter will bawk at them and they bark back.
When they howl he starts crowing.
(He's good with strangers too. Kids have been petting him and picking him up as soon as i felt he was old enough to go on trips. All of my birds absolutely love car rides.)
>>
>>2454567
If you're too fucking lazy to type out the entire god damn word then just use "cock" you shit cunt juvenile twat.
>>
>>2454760
Were they good eating? Did you save the feathers? If so, what did you use them for?
>>
>>2455879
Yeah, sometimes you wind up with the chicken equivalent of a labrador. Other times you wind up with the chicken equivalent of a pitbull.

Then other times you wind up with the chicken equivalent of a pug.
>>
>>2455878
That's as fucking stupid as people who say your dog should always be a little bit afraid of you.

No wonder so many of those idiots are complaining about being attacked.

The poor chickens are probably terrified and the Roosters are just doing what they are SUPPOSED to do: defending the hens and their chicks.
>>
>>2455880
Damn anon, I jelly.
>>
>>2455880
Lol, how does he even see?
>>
>>2455887
When I was growing up my father had a RIR rooster that was very sweet, so I think behavioral traits are as much determined by the individual bird as they are by what you usually see for that breed. From what I've heard, lots of people on by stay away from the Rhode island red altogether, at least concerning roosters.
>>
>>2455893
Lots of people on byc (backyard chickens) is what I meant to say. They have a fetish for doing things "by the book" even if it means ignoring common sense and the golden rule.
>>
File: IMG_20170808_005648.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170808_005648.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2453492

>>2455878
>>2455877
this

>gets breed of chicken that's known to have agressive roosters
>teach it to fear you
>only interactions are when you come into it's teritory and fuck with it's harem
>probably try to kick it out of the way probably haven't tried to socialize it with humans at all

behold. Here's what happens when your big black cock loves you. I'm still working on the costume. Going to put some ears and spikes so he looks more like bowser/godzilla
>>
File: IMG_20170402_233712.jpg (422KB, 1152x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170402_233712.jpg
422KB, 1152x1920px
>>2455890
He has pretty big eyes. It's like seeing through a thin silk sheet I'd imagine. I try to trim his afro when he's asleep so he can see well enough, but you can't see his eyes from certain angles.
>>
>>2455900
He's adorable anon, how old is he?
>>
>>2455893
Yeah, birds are hella fucking smart. I can easily see one from the more aggressive breeds being clever enough to ignore his natural instincts to be a little shit if you just treat them right.

What I want to know is if you can rehabilitate roosters who have been neglected or even abused by these dumb fucks. Can you successfully forge a healthy bond with one when it's been conditioned to fear humans?

>>2455897
God damn anon, I am so jelly.

>>2455900
Do your chickens have to be trained to not potty in the house, or do they figure that out on their own when allowed to come inside on a regular basis?
>>
File: 1485152591289.jpg (8KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
1485152591289.jpg
8KB, 200x300px
Such a good boy.
The only time I've seen him act agressive is when my husky ran up too fast towards my hen. He charged him and bruce lee kicked him in the face while going "BAWK-AWW"

>>2455901

He's a year old. We had a huge egg day party for him a few weeks ago. I took him with me while shopping for ingredients for the bird day cake and he picked out a nice brush i brush him with and a mint plant. I can't imagine why and It's becoming kind of bothersome that he doesn't take care of it at all. He just likes to sit next to it sometimes and stare at it.

>>2455903
I should have potty trained them. I got the clicker and everything, but neither of them care for treats and won't eat from my hand for some reason, so instead they wear diapers. But they are trained to come to me when I say "here chickpeas"
>>
File: IMG_20170801_164050.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170801_164050.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
here's some egg-day pics. It was my rooster's and pigeon's birth day party and my chickens "coming of age" since she laid her very first egg a day before.

Honestly byc has helped me out with a lot of questions and given me everything I could possibly want to learn about chickens, but I find it pretty disturbing how many times Ive came across something like
>I guess I'll have to kill him. :/ what a shame he was sucha beautiful roo

>We had a roo who bullied one of our hens. He went straught into the cooking pot

only a small amount of byc users keep chickens as pets. Roosters aren't really necissary for meat or egg chickens so they're not valued as much by people who use chickens in that way.
>>
>>2455914
Do you live in the city? I let mine inside often, but they're outside in the yard just as often so there's no real need for diapers in my case. Keeping chickens in an apartment building would be a pain in the ass.
>>
File: 20170417_155151.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170417_155151.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>2455921
I live in a small town in a fairly spacious house.
They have a coop and everything set up in the garage and there's nothing but desert behind my house so if it's not too hot I'll take them out there.

They're only inside because it's way too damn hot for my poor lttle babies. It's been 110 degrees all summer.
Once it cools down they're going to spend a lot more time outside.
>>
>>2455927
Oh damn, yeah can't blame you for keeping them inside. Hottest it's been in western Washington was the mid eighties, so I've been getting mine outside as much as I can before I gets cold.
>>
>>2453541
What a tard.
>>
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-sperm-is-clear.246503/

>My rooster is only producing clear sperm. It is on one of my black cochins. I AI everything so I know the girls get bred. He is well old enough to be producing I was going to start him last week but there's nothing there but clear. Anyone know if I should just cull him or wait a little longer for him.
>Anyone know if I should just cull him
>>
>>2457247
People are literally killing roosters because they think they might be infertile. Fuck that.
>>
>>2455814
>No sheets
But why?
>>
>>2457959
they're covered in chicken shit
>>
>>2457959
>>2457969
The chickens all wear diapers.

It was actually a chinchilla. A chinchilla pissed all over my fucking sheets. Luckily I had enough blankets on the bed so it didn't leak into the mattress.

My rooster is probably the third most well behaved animal in the house.
>>
>>2457974
What's the first most well behaved animal in the house?

And also, why doesn't your rooster have one of those red fleshy things on his forehead? Is it just a breed thing, or did something bad happen to him?
>>
>>2457975
The first one is my Carolina Dog.
He's just amazing. Never has accidents, knows left from right and he's even killed a few feral cats that tried to get into the chicken coop. He's just an all around good boy and he thinks the chickens are his pups.

The second most well behaved would be my hen. And the third would be my rooster. Because he does bite toes and hump feet.

He actually has a walnut comb.
The "red fleshy things" are combs and different breeds of chickens have different kinds of combs, although most of them are red. My chicken actually has black skin and organs so his comb is black.
Here's a pic of it. (he's also hellboy)
>>
>>2455946
Yeah, our newest rooster is a Mille Fleur bantam, so maybe he'll be more manageable. It sounds like one of those farm animal toy recordings instead of a real rooster.
>>
>>2457369
That person is an idiot but culling is a common practice, and not just in chickens.

If a rooster is infertile, it's useless to keep them around(especially if they fight with other roosters) unless they are your pets. Unlike snakes you don't just throw them in the trash. You eat them.
>>
>crow a lot
>literal livestock
I recognize that they can be tame but I'd just soup them to be honest
>>
We been having chickens since for decades and if a rooster is a dick we kill it or beat it
>>
>>2458213
Chickens are better pets than cats are. They're actually social and enjoy company/cuddling.
>>
>>2458320
Uhm, no, they don't. I have 4 chickens in my backyard and they don't like to be touched at all. Let alone getting picked up. They're not shy and come running to me as soon as they see me, eat from my hands, run through my legs, peck my socks and sometimes they even jump on my back when I'm crouched low to clean their enclosure. But they don't want you to touch their feathers, it's uncomfortable for them. They're not pets, they're not housebroken, they're livestock. There's a reason that term exists.
>>
>>2458333
I have 4 hunting dogs in my back yard and they don't like to be touched at all. They'll eat food if you give it to them, but if you try to touch them, they'll growl and nip. Dogs are not pets, they're not housebroken. They're hunting tools. There's a reason why we domesticated them.

If you treat a chicken like a pet, they become a pet. They like to be held, petted, scritched, etc. They come when you call, they enjoy cuddles, and they'll fall asleep on your lap while making happy growly trilling sounds. Potty training is possible, but accidents are likely. That's just bird physiology though; they can't hold it for very long.
>>
>>2453512
Youre a fagget
>>
>>2458364
This, even the most domesticated species of animals can be wild vicious creatures if they are born/hatched and raised completely feral. Just look at dingos. Or feral hogs.

While the exact opposite is true as well. You can take livestock like chickens and pigs and if you raise them right they can be fantastic pets that can learn all sorts of cool tricks.

Hell, there's recordings on youtube that teach you how to train your pet fish to swim through hoops and to pull on strings attached to bells.

If a god damn goldfish can learn how to play fetch then you can teach a chicken to not be afraid of sitting in someone's lap.
>>
>>2453492
I find that people who dislike roosters tend to be people who get attacked by them. When I watch what they are doing, their body language is actually challenging to the rooster without realizing it. However, on rare occasion you will have a rooster that is just an asshole for asshole sake that will attack anything and anyone for seemingly no reason. Some breeds are much worse than others.

I keep a couple roosters with my hens because on the rare occasion a predator attacks, the roosters come to the defence and are killed first. That protects the egg laying hens. They are the last line of defence after lots of fencing and electric fencing. The area is massive so patching all the holes doesn't work sometimes due to groundhogs making new holes or deer getting spooked and tear up the fencing.
>>
>>2458296
>beat it

You're human garbage, but you said that you beat animals on /an/ of all boards so it's probably bait.
>>
File: 2jack.jpg (41KB, 518x388px) Image search: [Google]
2jack.jpg
41KB, 518x388px
>>2453492
This is my prized rooster, Jack. Biggest and nicest of my three roosters
>>
>>2460297
meant to say friendliest as well.
>>
cock
>>
>>2455907
your cock is cool
>>
>>2460297
God damn, your bird is ripped.
>>
File: 1squaky.jpg (70KB, 518x388px) Image search: [Google]
1squaky.jpg
70KB, 518x388px
>>2460388
Thank you, I take pride in having tried to raise the best chickens I could, I got Jack and 5 other chickens when they were just pullets, maybe 2 weeks old, that was almost 3 years ago. They get to free range, eat all the grass and foliage they want, get a nice diet of feed and treats like apples, bread, millet, sometimes tomatoes, bird seed that my parakeet didn't eat, etc. I gave them almost a whole watermelon over the course of a day one time. Here is a mediocre picture of my toughest rooster, Squaky. He got his name when he was a pullet and was very fussy one day.
>>
Chickens and rooster is opposite of creatures. So it will be not very surprising when there is chickens or instead of a rooster, and they are not the same together.
>>
>>2460919
What?
>>
>>2460906
>pullet

*cockerel

Pullets are young hens.
>>
>>2458333
> I have 4 chickens in my backyard and they don't like to be touched at all. Let alone getting picked up. They're not shy and come running to me as soon as they see me,

Sounds like dogs if you never pet them. My neighbors have 3 dogs that were exactly like that, they asked me to care for them while they were away on business and then vacation (3 weeks in a row total). For the first week they'd clearly be friendly and excited to see me but they wouldn't react to petting at all, because the owners never pet them or anything, by the second and third week whenever I was there they loved getting petted more than just about any dog I've ever seen
>>
>>2462598
TIL
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.