[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Had this snake strike at my dog as I was walking it. Living in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: image1(1).jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image1(1).jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Had this snake strike at my dog as I was walking it. Living in coastal Alabama, recently had a lot of rainfall. Can someone Identify it for me?
>>
>>2449829

some kind of colubrid
>>
>>2449844
I want to assume that since I'm in Alabama it's not one of the few poisonous varieties. I only ask because this is the second one I've killed, and it's a high foot traffic area both day and night. Thank you for the response
>>
>>2449829
Harmless water snake or colubrid like the other anon said
Completely harmless and ignorance is not a reason to kill it
>>
File: 1501089850976.jpg (36KB, 715x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501089850976.jpg
36KB, 715x720px
>>2449875
>ignorance is not a reason to kill it

I dont like snake killing either, but OP has a right to defend his pets.
>>
File: snakevenomous.jpg (65KB, 654x444px) Image search: [Google]
snakevenomous.jpg
65KB, 654x444px
>>2449849

The term is venomous, not poisonous.

Almost all of the venomous snakes in the U.S. (except coral snakes) are pit vipers (e.g., cottonmouths, copperheads, rattlesnakes) which are extremely easy to tell apart from nonvenomous snakes. See pic related - pit vipers have a vertical pupil like a cat's eye, a broad triangular head (although many nonvenomous snakes will flatten their heads out to mimic this), and a heat-sensing organ called a pit that looks like a second nostril. If you got close enough to kill it, you definitely got close enough to see whether or not it had those features.

Not that you ought to be killing the venomous ones, either.

tl;dr killing snakes is totally unnecessary and if you're going to insist on doing it at least learn which ones are actually dangerous
>>
>>2449888
Are round noses always non-venomous? Are pointed nosed usually venomous?
>>
File: blackmamba.jpg (23KB, 583x389px) Image search: [Google]
blackmamba.jpg
23KB, 583x389px
>>2449891
Well, I'm not educated on snakes at all, but that doesnt seem like it's a universal rule. Pic related is a black mamba, which has a round snout and is absolutely venomous.
>>
>>2449893
Oh.. the whole thing would be easier if there was a general rule like that
>>
File: 9-1-2016-10-42-00-AM-10844475.jpg (42KB, 600x362px) Image search: [Google]
9-1-2016-10-42-00-AM-10844475.jpg
42KB, 600x362px
>>2449891
>>2449893

Yeah noses aren't really a good rule of thumb as far as I know and pretty much everything I said here: >>2449888
only applies to pit vipers in the U.S. (which again are most of our venomous snakes). Those rules for example don't work with coral snakes, which are also present in the States.

It's a lot easier to look for the vertical pupil and the pit generally, and lots of people swear by the "triangular head" (it's taught to kids around here a lot) but like I said some snakes (esp. water snakes which are commonly mistaken for cottonmouths) will fake that one.
>>
>>2449893
The pic above is just a guide for North America. It does not apply worldwide. Coral snakes, the one exception in North America, look like pic related. Coral snakes are not to be confused with scarlet king snakes (harmless). Refer to poem for differentiating the two:

>Red Touch Yellow - Kills a Fellow
>Red Touch Black - Venom Lack
>Yellow Touches Red - Soon You'll Be Dead
>Red Touches Black - Friend of Jack
>>
Fasicata
>>
>>2449898
There are other corals in Mexico.
>>
>>2449898
Those are retarded rhymes

Red touches yellow: you're a dead fellow
Red touches black: you're ok jack.
>>
>>2449917
>>2449898
Fuck Jack
>>
>>2449893
>doesnt seem like it's a universal rule.

It is in the fucking United States, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>2449888
>>2449875
I wouldn't of killed it if it hadn't tried to bite my dog, and if it didn't happen to be on the sidewalk right next to my front door. Small kids live in the neighborhood and run up and down, I'd rather kill the snake then have one of them get bitten. "Venomous" or not.
>>
yeah, absolutely Nerodia sipedon. they're little bags of piss and vinegar, but harmless
>>
>>2449829
Banded Water Snake (Nerodia fasciata)
>>
>>2449887
He could have just walked away with his dog, there is no fucking excuse for killing it

OP is just a stupid idiot
>>
>>2450026
I watched a group of small children playing in the field next to the sidewalk, where the snake slithered from. I didn't kill it because I hated it, or because my dog almost got bitten by it.

I killed it because the whole neighborhood borders a piece of swamp, and an eight year old doesn't know what a water moccasin looks like. Hell I didn't know what it was, I regret it, and took no pleasure in it. I'm glad I came here to find out that it was harmless, and there wasn't any danger.
>>
>>2450039
I live in Louisiana those kids are gonna have to learn to deal with the fact wildlife is on every side of them, its the glory of living in the south every stone has something under it and every creek is full of life
Or do you suggest every single thing that could potentially be dangerous be killed? You know dogs cause more deaths than snakes per year right and unlike canines snakes dont run up on people and start biting them, granted most dogs dont do this but no snakes do
>>
>>2450043
>bruh just leave venomous snakes around kids lol they'll learn being bitten by venomous animals is just part of growing up haha

You were molested as a kid, weren't you?
>>
>>2450043
I won't debate the facts with you, no I don't believe that the snake was going to make his way up to any of the local kids and mug them.

Put yourself in my shoes for just a second, you have no idea what kind of snake it is, you're sadly ignorant. All you do know is that the snake came from the small area that children who are very young frequent. You can't tell whether it's deadly or harmless. But what you do know is kids are fucking dumb and will pick up anything they see, and it would weight heavy on your thoughts if you could of prevented a trip to the emergency room.

I am driven by fear and ignorance, forgive me for being human.
>>
>>2450048
you could always just relocate it
or call the children over and show them the living snake, and tell them, if they see a snake, they should avoid getting close to it, unless they are sure it is non venomous.

Educate, don't kill
>>
>>2449875
Fuck off PETA
>>
>>2450077
How is it peta to tell off people for needlessly killing shit they dont understand? Im just autistic about the stigmatism against reptiles and snakes particularly.
>>
>>2449829
Human: 1
Harmless snake: 0
>>
>>2449887
>The snake will understand the concept of rights
>>
>>2449927
>Source other than you appealing to 'common knowledge'
>>
>>2449875
Kill pests
Kill dangerous elements
Fuck off you cunt
>>
>>2450217
Snakes arent pest especially if you live on a fucking swamp
or dangerous
get fucked nigger
>>
>>2450051

>won't somebody think of the children!
>>
>>2449982
This guy is right.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.