[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the chances I'd find a new species of animal if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

What are the chances I'd find a new species of animal if I started looking at pond/lake/river water?

How many undiscovered microorganisms are out there? Are there any efforts to even classify these little guys?

I always thought it was fascinating to see all the different bugs and such inside of seemingly clear water, and I've been thinking about starting to examine water samples. I'm just not sure if it would be a good idea go record data on what I find, in case I do stumble across an interesting weird water creature?
>>
>>2445846
New species are found all the time. Give it a go. The main problem is the description and cross-referencing it with existing descriptions. There are all sorts of new discoveries that have been discovered long ago. We need a proper online database for this shit.
>>
You put a drop of pondwater under a microscope, look around until you see one microorganism that looks different from the rest, and then what? How do you go about identifying it when it's hard enough to identify a bug you find in your house or a plant growing by the side of the road?
>>
>>2446069
Small ribosomal subunit
>>
>>2445846
If it was 1800 sure. Even if you find something mophologically unique it may be genetically identical to some common microbe. It's all about high throughput genetic analysis now which requires hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of machines and reagents. It's the genomic era.

At best you could buy a decent microscope for a few hundred up to 1500 dollars and buy some simple staining reagents (gram stain, capsule stain, hematology stains) and pretty much dick around. The whole DIY or at home scientist gig has been dead for a while
>>
>>2446137
Maybe you could somehow automate the process and then upload the data to a citizen science website like Zooniverse.org where volunteers would do the work for you. Then take credit for the discovery and name the new finding after yourself (like what happened with Boyajian's Star).
>>
I've described about 25-30 new species of fungi, along with a few new genera, with many more on the way or sitting on my desk in unfinished/unsubmitted papers.

There are lots and lots of undescribed fungi out there. I've even described species from specimens I collected while walking my dogs. They are everywhere, the hard part is figuring out if they are truly undescribed and then doing the leg work (sequencing, measurements etc).
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.