[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watcher Louis Theroux documentary about abandoned dogs and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: 1476651593090.png (17KB, 882x758px) Image search: [Google]
1476651593090.png
17KB, 882x758px
Just watcher Louis Theroux documentary about abandoned dogs and dog shelters and I can't imagine what it would be to work in a dog shelter or be a dog in one.
You're basically on a death row, waiting for someone to pick you up for a month or two. If no one picks you up (probably because you're already """old""" aka used with a previous owner), you just get euthanized to bring more space for the next unlucky bastard who's going to be put in your position.
No one deserves that fate.
People should take care of their dogs and neuter them if they don't want them to breed.
>>
The dogs have no clue that they're on death row and that they'll be euthanized.

From the dog's point of view, they've been picked up off the cold streets where they had to scrounge for scraps, and placed in a warm place with other fellow dogs where they get fed on a regular basis and given clean water and a safe place to sleep.
>>
File: IMG_20151227_103827.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151227_103827.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>2444338
>couple months
Ha more like a week max.
>People should take care of their dogs and neuter them if they don't want them to breed.
There is almost never a surplus of puppies OP, there's a surplus of adult dogs. Most people can not only get rid of their puppies, but sell them at a net gain. It's when those people who get the puppies have their puppies turn into dogs that becomes a problem. Now suddenly people don't want them.

Shelter worker here by the way, AMA
>>
File: 1473718188008.gif (128KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1473718188008.gif
128KB, 160x160px
>>2444444
nice digits
Also, how do you feel about the fact that dozens of doggo's get killed everyday, possibly by your hand?
How do you choose which one goes?
>>
>>2444714
Thanks anon.
At first it felt very shitty, but I was quickly taught to shift the blame to other people. Whoever surrendered the dog, whoever breed the dog, etc but not any one specific person usually. We are a no kill shelter so when we euthanize an animal it needs to be for a reason besides no space and no time. I worked with sick animals, so I was sometimes asked to pick some sick ones to put on the list. If it wasn't eating for a long time or hard to handle and hard to medicate, it would go up. Some days though I didn't have a great selection and I'd be forced to put up a dog that's just having a hard time shaking kennel cough. Sometimes when we are really full my manager (no longer works with us) would walk down from her desk to the kennels to pick who goes up. It was quite a scene. She's a tall, thin blonde lady who generally dressed very extravagantly and would always wear some Pearl jewelery - you'd think she was just a high priority donor but in reality she was deciding the dog's fates. She would simply point at any dog that would bark at her and on the list it goes. At least I didn't have to make those decisions.
>>
>>2444444
sad post but the pic is making me crack up holy shit
>>
>>2444748
Tough job. But as someone else who has a similar one (I have to decide which animals get euthanized), you begin to get less sensitive to it. Eventually it comes down to, what is best for both the animal and the shelter. Is the animal suffering? Obviously euthanasia is best. Is the animal a lost cause who will only drain precious resources that could be used for the care of ones with a better chance? Sadly, euthanasia becomes the 'greater good'.
>>
>>2444765
That's very true, the first one is always the hardest. But after a while you become sort of numb.
>>
>>2444748
This sounds a lot like some of those scenes described in concentration camps with Mengele... Sheesh.
>>
This video always makes me feel so bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg89rbAODgk
The dogs in it look so sweet, and I'd love to have the ability to save all of them. But that footage took place in a distant country several years ago, and those dogs are most likely long-gone.
>>
>>2445642
>>2445642
Never thought I'd see Death Row and Cute in the same title
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.