[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Had a pretty shitty experience adopting a kitten today... My

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

Had a pretty shitty experience adopting a kitten today...

My wife and I have talked about getting another cat for awhile and ran across a rescue group in a tractor supply with kittens. After much consternation we chose an adorable tuxedo kitten and brought him home. He looked extremely healthy until shortly after we got home when his eyes began to weep. Fast forward 2 hours and we are going to a vet because one of his eyes is swollen shut. Vet says its X, Y, or Z. I paid for medication to treat him and the visit. Made the difficult decision to call the rescue group and let them know that I need to return him because im worried about getting my cat sick. They accept and I drive an hour to return him. I didnt accept any refund.

Am I a terrible person? I feel guilty as shit. What could I have done differently?
>>
>>2443727
It's OK OP. You could have kept him and quarantined him in the bathroom or something I guess. Hopefully his condition clears up, you might be able to get him back afterwards. It sounds like he probably had an infection before you brought him home.
>>
File: 1479891892029.jpg (490KB, 1600x1157px) Image search: [Google]
1479891892029.jpg
490KB, 1600x1157px
>>2443727
Don't feel too bad, you can go rescue another one.
>>
Maybe.
Whatever it is, it was probably a respiratory infection and could easily be treated. Secondly, your other cat probably has already been exposed to it.

I think you're weird and just wasted money over nothing. The worst case scenario of introducing ANY new cat is shit like feLV, not the sniffles.
>>
>>2443741
The shelters where I live test for FIV. Is it not somewhat common?
>>
>>2443735
the subject of quarantine was brought up by the vet, however she made me nervous with the "possible causes" which ranged from herpes (no big deal) to some shit thats like parvo for cats. My rational was that it was a risk to my current cat to which I am responsible for. Some other smuck without a cat can adopt him.
>>
>>2443744
There is an FIV/FeLV combo test that's cost effective... But people usually just use FeLV because it's harder to detect and can be dormant. Also cheaper to just but the test that tests for only FeLV. You can often tell when a cat has FIV because it looks like shit on a stick. Chronic URI, snot flowing out the nose, sunken eyes etc. So I have no Fucking clue why they would test fiv but not felv
>>
You are not a bad person. They should never place for adoption a cat that has something that may be contagious and not inform the adopter.
You have other animals and risk of having small epidemy in a house is only their fault.
You can always adopt him back when he is healthy.

If he got sick after months and months i belice it should be ypur problem to deal with but not in this situation. They made a mistake and probably have epidemy in their place and were hoping this one is healthy enough.
I believe anyone who is putting animal for adoption should be upfront about their helth. If you had no other cats then this adoption would be sucessful and there would be no need for putting animal in stress.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.