[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well /an/, my doggo has a tumor in her cheek. Biopsy won't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0654.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0654.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Well /an/, my doggo has a tumor in her cheek. Biopsy won't come back for two weeks. Gave the vet the classic "give it to me straight" and he said it's most likely squamous cell carcinoma. She's only a year old, but the tumor went from slight swelling and an enlarged lymph node last week to severe swelling and several swollen lymph nodes throughout her body today. Any vets want to give me a hopeful alternative to keep my hopes up until the results come in?

>inb4 wait for results
I know, but since I'm going to torture myself anyways I figured I may as well ask fellow /an/imorphs for moral support.
>>
My dog has the same cancer aperently ig the tumor does not spread and is visable in the nose area it is more likely to be treated and go into remission
>>
File: IMG_0912.jpg (94KB, 749x794px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0912.jpg
94KB, 749x794px
>>2442519
The fact that it's spread to her lymph nodes seems like it complicates things. Also he only said that's what he thinks is most likely, he also brought up bone cancer and mast cell (although he said this was pretty low on his list of potential diagnoses). Fingers crossed it hasn't metastasized, or that it's a weird benign tumor.
>>
Totally forgot to add she's only a year old, which makes this really weird and shitty.
>>
>>2442513
>Boxer

I know this is not the right time to say this, but please get a mutt from the pound/shelter next time. Your dog got cancer because it's a "breed". Sorry man.
>>
>>2442535
I would agree, but I didn't get her from a breeder. My neighbor found her mom starving and pregnant in the woods, she was looking for homes for the 2 surviving pups and I took a liking to her. Not really a short nosed type of guy and I hate breeders, but the circumstances were right.
>>
>>2442535
>Your dog got cancer because it's a "breed"
>there are no purebred dogs in shelters
>mutts can't get cancer

oh honey. shut the fuck up.

OP, the two best things you can do for your dog while you wait are to be extra kind to her and to not panic in front of her. They can tell when we worry and it will make them worry.
>>
>>2442535
You are an idiot and need to stop spreading the 'pound mutts are healthier lel' meme
OP said he didn't buy the dog but it could have happened with a boxer mix from the pound just as much. Almost every dog has an unknown lineage, which includes health. At least from a breeder or purebred you know where it came from, it's parents, it's grandparents and can prepare for health issues that might arise in the certain breed. With mutts you have to guess. And mutts, sometimes you get the both of best worlds and the worst, various issues associated with all the breeds it's mixed with.

Source: my ass and having only adopted dogs
>>
>>2442561
I think they mean that it's just a boxer thing. They have a heartbreakingly high cancer rate.
>>
>>2442566
if he meant it was just a boxer thing, he would've said "don't get a boxer next time," not "get a mutt from the shelter next time" implying that OP bought a BYB dog.

literally any dog can get cancer and despite certain breeds having higher rates of different cancers, cancer in itself is not genetic and won't be warded off by a more diverse gene pool.
>>
>>2442566
Honestly, I worried about this before I got her. When I was a kid I had a boxer rescue, she died at age 7 to cancer. It was one of my biggest reservations to taking her in but I figured 7 happy years isn't better than crossing my fingers she got adopted by a good person. One year just seems tragic though, I've never heard of a dog this young with cancer.
>>
>>2442569
When nearly 40% of deaths in your gene pool are caused by cancer, there is probably a genetic factor at play.

>>2442570
You caught things early, at least.
>>
>>2442578
Not really. It's big enough that it's pressing on her teeth and eye, several of her back teeth are loose and she can't open her right eye completely. Seems crazy to me that it would progress so quickly. She must have had it since she was tiny.
>>
>>2442570
One year is tragic and unexpected. Hopefully it can be removed.

I've had dogs with cancer but it didn't pop up until old age and at that point they already had other issues so we never went through any cancer treatment since it'd just be a waste of time, money and suffering.
>>
>>2442597
I've always been pretty skeptical about cancer treatment. If a doctor told me I could go through chemo and live an extra year, I'd tell him to fuck off. I won't do it to my pup either. That said, if there's a good chance surgery will prolong her life by several years, I'll happily spend the money. I'm getting ready to weigh the prognosis against the treatment, but in the meantime I'd love to hear about things that look like cancer but aren't.
>>
>>2442578
>When nearly 40% of deaths in your gene pool are caused by cancer, there is probably a genetic factor at play

The genetic factor is something that heightens the risk of cancer, not the cancer itself.

A mole that shows up on all the women in my family in the same place is genetic. The skin cancer that may or may not develop from it is not.
>>
>>2442616
I can't say much on cancer treatment since I never put an animal through it besides tumor removal and the people I've known who died of cancer were from the time where you really didn't talk about it

But what I do know and the experience of people who was with their family through it, yeah I'd say fuck that too if it was only giving me a few months to a year to live. Chemo is aggressive and miserable. I think it's cruel to put an animal through it. They don't understand whats happening or why they feel like shit. I wouldn't fault someone putting a young dog through it if there was a good chance they would make it through, though. I'd do it if it meant they got their years out of it but an odd dog closer to the end to begin with? Nah.

Probably not but hopefully the tumor isn't actually cancerous. And f it is, hopefully they can just remove it. I'm sure vets can skin graft dogs and if not, you'll have a cool silent hill dog.
>>
>>2442674
Tumor removal likely means removing part of the jaw given its location. It's a shitty situation and though I don't have a full picture yet, it looks like I'm going to have to make a shitty decision regardless. Where do I draw the line? I'm not sure yet but the next few weeks will be hell. Hopefully someone has some good critter memes to cheer me up.
>>
Hey OP, sorry to hear about your dog. Hopefully the diagnosis will be something less serious.
>>
>>2442696
Shit, OP. That sucks if it moved into the bone.

Keep us updated when you get the results back.
>>
>>2442513
Do the human thing and go old yeller on your pup out back, sorry OP.
>>
>>2442745
Not until I know it's terminal. Still have fingers crossed it's some weird benign tumor.
>>
>>2442757
>Not until I know it's terminal
or costs as much as a used car, emirate?
>>
>>2442769
Not too concerned about cost, I can deal with spending some money, but if the treatment is more suffering than it's worth I'm willing to go the euthanasia route.
>>
File: IMG_5815.jpg (30KB, 278x349px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5815.jpg
30KB, 278x349px
>>2442696
>>
>>2442786
We're not talking about some money. My dad's best bud's Gordon Setter set them back 8-9 Gs for chemo, radiation, surgeries and special food. It maybe bought an extra year and a half on a 7 year old dog.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2442807
Proof enough for you?

>>2442819
Fuck chemo, fuck radiotherapy. If surgery will fix it permanently and costs 5 grand, I'll pay. It's not that much money. If she needs endless treatment and it buys her a year, it's not worth. It's pretty simple to me.
>>
>>2442822
Just thought you wanted cute memes
>>
>>2442826
Oh. Sorry. Misinterpreted that badly.
>>
File: IMG_5466.jpg (23KB, 410x334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5466.jpg
23KB, 410x334px
>>2442832
No worries. Whatever happens, it sounds like you've given her a happy life.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.