[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If there really are less deer, elk, & moose in the US today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3061.jpg (54KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3061.jpg
54KB, 500x333px
If there really are less deer, elk, & moose in the US today because of wolves, have pronghorn populations gone up?
>>
>>2433230
Yes, less to do with wolves though and more to do with not being hunted to extinction anymore.
>>
Habitat destruction. We still have a shit ton of deer though. They just got pushed out of many places.

Wolves have overhunted their prey but wolves don't have a lot of space in the US either.
>>
Pronghorn are so interesting
>>
There are only a few wolves in a few places and more deer than ever in the us as a whole. Rephrase your question and then type it into google
>>
Do wolves even hunt pronghorn? They are the second fastest land animal. Supposedly they evolved to be able to survive american cheetahs. I imagine they aren't as common as whitetails just because they live on the plains. They aren't as adaptable as mule deer and whitetails. Can't imagine any predators in NA today can consistently hunt them aside from maybe they could occasionally snag a fawn.

>>2433456
Highly underrated animal. They are the last of their kind and their closest relatives are giraffes and okapis. Convergent evolution in general is interesting.
>>
>>2433230
Pronghorn populations are way, way down.

This anon >>2433458 is right about deer populations. What happens in the areas that wolves have come back to is that the deer don't parade around out in the open in daylight as often (because that makes it easy for wolves to eat them). Some hunters interpret this as no more deer.

>>2433530
As far as I know, wolves do not hunt pronghorn. Pronghorn are just too fast for any predators that don't have guns. Fences really mess them up though--they can't jump over fences like deer can, so they try to crawl under them and if the bottom wire is too low then they can't get past.
>>
File: images (6).jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images (6).jpg
11KB, 275x183px
>>2434349
Really? I know whitetails are springy and mule deer are more stompy but I assumed pronghorn would have no trouble getting some air.
>>
>>2434358
Just look up pronghorn and fences. The line of thought is that because they evolved in super-open areas, objects that require jumping over just baffle them.
>>
>>2434358
>>2434364
yeah pronghorns are runners, not jumpers

but they are obviously EXTREMELY good at running
>>
>>2434364
>>2434389
I've seen pronghorn jump pretty well, and they have problem with not seeing around them. They avoid deer tunnels and and cross the road instead. It still baffles me why they try to go under fences.
They always run along side your car too instead of bolting, going in another direction.
>>
>>2434412
going under the fence is easier for them than going over it

it's just the way pronghorn do, I guess
>>
>>2433230
The only thing that probably hunted in the past was probably the american cheetah. Similar to the cheetah/Thomson's gazelle relationship.
>>
>>2434994
>>2433455
Have pronghorn populations gone up because they're not competing so hard with the same resources with the animals that AREN'T fast enough to run from wolves?
>>2434349
>way down
Fuck habitat fragmentation and fuck vegans that think plowing more land is going to fix our world's problem
>>
>>2434412
>They always run along side your car too instead of bolting, going in another direction.
I've never seen a pronghorn in person(do zoos even have them?) but mule deer do that too.

>>2435208
At the very high end, there's about million. On the lowest estimate end, there's 500k. In the 20s, there was about 13k left.
Oddly enough they decided to start to try and save them in 1910 despite they all thought they wouldn't be able to keep them from going extinct.

They are still hunted but it's really roads, fences and farming fucking them up.
https://www.gohunt.com/read/antelope-numbers-across-6-states
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.