[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fish owners, I have a question: What fish live a long time? Would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

File: IMG_1161.jpg (283KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1161.jpg
283KB, 2000x1250px
Fish owners, I have a question: What fish live a long time? Would they have feelings for me? Would they love me? Would they understand me? Can they sense things that I can't? Can they protect me somehow?

In general, can you tell me about them? I'm considering buying an aquarium of fish friends because I'm very little lonely and want some company.
>>
>>2431298
Very lonely rather, idk why I said 'little'
>>
>>2431298
A lot of fish live about 10 years from research I did, so yeah. What size tank you willing to get, OP?
>>
>>2431298
>What fish live a long time?
most medium-large predators including goldfish and lots of various cichlids
>Would they have feelings for me?
fish probably don't have feelings
>Would they love me?
>Would they understand me?
humans don't even understand you, fish have no chance
>Can they sense things that I can't?
yes, they can sense vibrations and electrical currents in the water you can't detect
>Can they protect me somehow?
they can be thrown at intruders. In a house fire it may be helpful to rub yourself with a wet fish prior to making your escape. In the event of nuclear war there's no safer place to be than hiding under a fish tank.
>In general, can you tell me about them?
they'll gather at the front of the tank when they see you because they learn who feeds them. Other than that they're colorful and active little potatoes.
>I'm considering buying an aquarium of fish friends because I'm very little lonely and want some company.
what an odd solution to your problem.
>>
>>2431301
OP has a chance. A lot of fish recognize that someone is standong at the tank and make the association with food and the owner and get excited to see them
>>
>>2431300
Large preferably. Want to have a nice plethora of fish.

>>2431301
Well I just need company, fish will do. They're moving creatures with some intellect so it'll feel like they are somewhat human to me. Plus they're low maintenance so it'll be easy to take care of them. I just don't like being alone all the time, it's making me insane and I can't easily get friends. So I might as well buy my friends.
>>
>>2431305
>Plus they're low maintenance
I have fish, ferrets, a hamster, a dog, a cat, and a salamander.

My ferrets are the highest maintenance pet I have.
Fish are a close second.
>>
>>2431306
I thought fish were low maintenance? Am I wrong?
>>
>>2431307
depends on the fish, but there's a lot of water changing, topping off evaporated water, filter cleaning, gravel vacuuming, dosing various chemicals, and the usual feeding.

they take a bit of time and a lot of hauling water from the sink to the tank.
>>
>>2431309
how much does that usually cost for you?
>>
>>2431310
The costs are very low if you're keeping freshwater fish and hauling all the water yourself.

I tend to keep saltwater fish and have re-plumbed my house and hired an electrician to come in and modify the circuits to make keeping fish easier. I've spent well over $10,000 on fish and their life-support equipment but I'm not the average fishkeeper on /an/.
>>
>>2431305
I suggest getting one fish in a tank, it feels more like you're tankong care of a loved pet that way rather than takong care of a display. Try an oscar fish, they can act pretty goofy and it woild be nice of you to rescue them from their overcrowded 1 gallon tank at the petstore.
>>
>>2431313
this is good advice.
Oscars are relatively long-lived, intelligent, playful.

>rescue them
you mean pay the fish store to buy 5 more in its place?
>>
>>2431298
Fish wouldn't have feelings for you, but they can recognize people from the vibration their steps send to their water. In time they can also recognize which steps end up giving them food and they'll crowd to the surface for those, and ignore the others.
>>
>>2431298
>get a 75 gal tank
>put 2 oscars and a pleco/catfish in it
all this and more for less than a hundred bucks if you craigslist it up enough
>>
Please do ALOT of research on aquarium keeping and about the fish you have decided to get. If you don't then your fish will die or get sick and die. Also you need to more maintenance to the aquarium than most other pets. Buy all the equipment, buy live plants, cycle the tank, make sure to quarantine your new fish and give it medicine if it's sick. Do weekly water changes ect.
>>
>>2431298
>I'm very little lonely and want some company.
Terrible idea. Fish don't really care about you being there except for when it's time to feed them. For the amount of money you spend on the hobby, on equipment, substrate, plants, and things you won't even realize you need until you need them like outlet timers, it eventually gets really fucking boring. The behaviors that might make your fish cute or interesting to watch initially, get played out once you watch those same behaviors on a loop for months/years. The fact that the things can live so long when healthy actually becomes a burden once you realize all there is to do is watch the same basic shit forever.

Aquariums are living, breathing screensavers inside of a glass box that run up your electricity bill way faster and have to be maintained on a daily/weekly basis. They're stimulating to observe but won't fulfill any human need for company or social interaction. Someone here will probably come and say "but betta and oscars can have lots of personality", which is true except you'd probably never be able to explain that personality beyond a couple of adjectives.

For me, i's a hobby that went from utterly fascinating and completely attention-consuming to painfully dull and burdensome in the span of maybe two years.

Feel free to pursue to the hobby and you might keep up with it for the rest of your life, but doing it to scratch a social interaction itch is misguided.
>>
> What fish live a long time?
most of the larger ones can live as long as dogs; Arowanas, Larger Cichlids, etc.
> Would they have feelings for me?
Flowerhorns, Oscars and Parrot Cichlids I think you'll find are quite affectionate, tame and full of personality! Some will even let you pet them!
> Would they love me?
Well, if you feed them they'll generally assosiate you with good things and will be very happy to see you (I guess you could call that love???)
> Would they understand me?
Love is a universal language, my friend.
> Can they sense things that I can't?
Well, they have an ability to sense electrical currents and vibrations (If that counts?)
> Can they protect me somehow?
Physically, probably not. Fish and aquariums do however have a stress-relieving affect on the mind, so I suppose they'd protect you from yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmGAlzfvv4
>>
File: hanako.jpg (21KB, 390x284px) Image search: [Google]
hanako.jpg
21KB, 390x284px
Koi carp are known to live for about 50 years with some reported to have lived way over 100.
>>
Greenland Sharks live for hundreds of years and won't even reach sexual maturity until after you're long dead Op. That way you won't have to worry about it leaving you for somebody else.
>>
>>2431298
>>2431487
Fish by themselves are usually boring as fuck after the first few months of owning them and learning all their behaviors, but if you have a planted tank or a reef tank, it becomes considerably more interesting, since as the tank develops, you get to see this little mini ecosystem thrive or completely die off depending on the care you give it. Not to mention the initial set-up where you can basically make it look like whatever you find aesthetically cool. So it's basically a huge power trip.

Also, you're not necessarily stuck with the fish you initially get unless you're in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Craigslist and other places have people on them all the time that are just interested in trading fish because they're sick of looking at their old ones for too long. Places like that are also a good way to get free shit because richcunts can't take their fuckhuge tanks with them when they move and just want to get rid of it. Just saw a 200 gallon tank for free on Craigslist the other day, with the filter.

Point is, it's not really about the companionship of the fish toward you and more about maintaining something you become emotionally invested in the longer you keep it alive.
>>
>>2431298
My pleco loved me I swear, as for my crayfish too and also a native Australian fish called Barramundi.

Although that being said my brother had an oscar that was super friendly to humans. You may also really really enjoy Angelfish of the freshwater variety. Perhaps an axolotl even?
>>
File: 1483862-center-1.jpg (186KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1483862-center-1.jpg
186KB, 1500x1500px
>>2431298
Goldfish are best fish!
Step by step guide for nubs.

>Go to Petco and buy the 75 gallon tank kit that comes with a stand and a light.

>Buy an Aquaclear 110 and one of those round sponge filters off of amazon. (The sponge isn't required, but is recommended. You will also need an air pump to power the sponge.)

>You may need to buy a power stick because there will be lots of things to plug in.

>Get tetra safestart plus, dechlorinator, and a freshwater master test kit.

>Buy a cubic buttload of pool filter sand.

>Buy a syphon either normal fish tank syphon or a two way one that attaches to the sink and can drain and fill. Python brand is pretty good. (Highly HIGHLY recommended that you go for the two way!!!!)

>Fill the tank with water and add the dechlorinator and wait 24 hours. (Now is a great time to scope out the various places that sell fish and pick out some Goldfish that you like)

>Go ahead and get food for the fish while you are checking out the fish stores. I recommend sinking pellets because the fish will be less likely to gulp air. As for brands, I use Omega One,(Pic related) but there are a lot of more expensive foods that may be better for them.

>Add whatever decorations and plants you want in the tank. (I recommend adding plants to any fish tank. Hornwort and/or anubias plants are great for beginners!)

>TEST THE WATER FIRST! Amonia. Nitrate AND Nitrite should read zero.

>If tests are good, empty entire bottle of tetra safestart and go to the store.

>Get no more than 4 Goldfish. (Small ones are better as you can watch them grow up)

>Ensure that at least 1 hour has passed before adding fish.

>Float The bags in the tank and every 2-3 min. add some tankwater to the bag.

>After 20-25 min. net the fish out and put them in tank. (Do not add fish store water to your tank)

>Do not change the water for the 1st 14 days and feed your fish normally.

Ran out of room will continue. . .
>>
>>2432246

>During the first two weeks, the water chemistry will be all over the place so don't even bother testing at this point.

On the 15th day take out 25% of the water with your syphon and fill it back up. Do not disturbe the sand! (Don't forget to add dechlorinator when refilling)

>Do another water change in 1 week only this time you can play in the sand.

>After the second water change, you are pretty much good to go! Try to change the water at absolute minimum every 3 weeks. Test the water regularly (Once a week) and if the numbers get too high do a water change.

>Feed the little boogers a small meal when you get up and an hour before you go to bed. Don't feed them too much in one meal!!!! They will eat themselves to death if you let them.

>Goldfish can live a very long time and can get pretty big. You can even teach them to do tricks! (Look up how to do it on youtube. It is fun!)

>There is a lot of misinformation out there on Goldfish and many people don't care for them properly. In a way you will be saving them from a horrible fate of dieing in a tiny bowl of their own shit in some kid's room.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (39KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
39KB, 480x360px
>>2432251

Extra tips!

>Keep a long prong fork near the tank and every time you change the water, run the fork through the sand to break up pockets of gas under the sand. (AFTER THE SECOND WATER CHANGE)

>Goldfish love to eat plants. Mine love the Hornwort I keep floating in their tank. It is a good sorce of fiber and will keep your fish from getting constipated.

>If your Goldfish ever get constipated or has trouble keeping itself upright in the water (Floating sideways or sinking down to the bottom etc.) try giving them some peas.

>Goldfish have teeth so occasionally you will find them on the sand! Pic related! (They are like little sharks and the teeth will grow back so don't worry!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5WheSjtyY4

>Solid Gold Aquatics is a great sorce of goldfish info on youtube.
>>
>>2432246
Just wated to clarify. When I said. . .
>Ensure that at least 1 hour has passed before adding fish.
I meant to say that you need to ensure that at least one hour has passed since adding the safestart!
>>
Just get a friendly cat from the shelter OP.

So much cheaper and lower maintenance, and thet will actually cuddle with you and go on walks if you harness train it.

Or a rat terrier would be my other suggestion. SMART fucking dogs and very protective of their owners if you build a close bond.
>>
>>2431298
Puffer fish are really personable. Really cute too!
>>
>>2431298
I had two silver dollars when i was a kid that survived into my college years and were over 20 years old. They also played with and ate my pleco's disc treats by throwing them then going to catch them before the bottom of the tank. Said pleco is still with me at 14 years old
>>
File: ماهی_اسکار.jpg (222KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
ماهی_اسکار.jpg
222KB, 500x375px
>>2431298
Rather than buying a tank and filling it with community fish like guppies or tetras, I would suggest you get a single large cichlid instead, I would in particular recommend an Oscar. These fish get to around 30cm long, and have a lot of personality (for a fish). They're also a bit more intelligent than most fish, in that they can learn to recognise your face. Most fish only recognise what a person is, ie "person feeds me, if I swim to the front of the glass person feeds me", but Oscars can learn to recognise individuals. Mine swims to the glass to greet me the moment I walk into the room, but he'll almost always ignore visitors. They can also get tame enough to eat from your hand, or even to let you pet them. They get to around between ten and fifteen years old, so they're sort of like the dogs of fish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmmGAlzfvv4
>>
File: 20170627_081303.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170627_081303.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2431298
This guy is 10 years old and he sucks my fingers whenever I reach in the tank. I've also met a few Oscars that act like puppies.
>>
>>2433127
>>2433178
Aren't they cold and slimy to touch?
>>
>>2433178
You put your dick in the tank, didn't you.
>>
>>2433185
A little bit slimy. It's not like they leave any on your hands though.

>>2433186
hmmmmm
>>
>>2431298
Axolotls, long lives, you can train them to eat out of your mouth, and are really cool and chill to watch...

Just gotta get them a green card before the wall goes up
>>
>>2431298
You might be better off with a cat. Likely very low maintenance and would likely love you and show it with cuddles and what not
>>
>>2433529
Or get a catfish. Best of both worlds.
>>
>>2433127
For a single cichlid tank I would suggest a flowerhorn over an Oscar.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 230x219px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 230x219px
Not sure if this is the good thread for it, but I'm a writer and i need a bit of help!

Can anyone tell me what kind of personality/character or interesting habits an Axolotl has? Do they do anything cool or unique? Do they have varying personalities?

I'm trying to work on a character based on Axolotls and I would very much appreciate input from people that have and/or have interacted with them!

Thank you very much!
>>
>>2434217
Why? They're both fairly simple fish to keep alone, but the Oscar looks a lot cooler.
>>
>>2431298
I mean this is a stretch but i live in NE ohio and have a lot of fancy tail guppies, most of mine live for a year two, I sell them for a buck a piece all the time.
>>
Get a cowfish
>>
>>2434548
most don't do shit all day long, they won't even bother walking 5 inches in search of food, but there's also the wild types that love swimming up in a rush, breath a gush of air and do a backflip and slowly descend back to the bottom with their legs extended like breaking the fall. their eyes dont seem to recognize anything, and they can never close them; you need to move things in front of them on a specific frequency for them to detect it as food.
you should read Julio Cortazar's axolotl for inspiration.
I miss you narga, you were my favourite pet; now i just care for the zebrafish you never go to eat.
>>
>>2434862
Oscars are the pitbulls of aquariums, they are total fuck nuggets.

Never keep Oscars.
>>
File: 1499846318363.png (1MB, 2000x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1499846318363.png
1MB, 2000x1150px
>>2434901
Dude thanks!! Its much appreciated!!
Even if there are outlier personalities, it helps a lot.

I cant do much as thanks, but if you wanna make a little drawing request... I'm not an amazing artist or anything, but i hate just going "Thanks!" when its about something that really helps me out.

I'm the best with humans or half human/half x characters! But i can always try and move out of that comfort zone. Feel free to req whatever and I'll do my best!

So dude, thanks again!!

>image is an art sample
>its a rough ref sheet for a character of mine.... Which has a mushroom-esque them in his design so hopefully its cool i post it to the thread
>>
>>2434940
>Oscars are pitbulls

What is your Oscar gonna jump out of the tank and 'attack' you, it's a fucking fish, man up you pussy
>>
File: confidence.jpg (210KB, 779x851px) Image search: [Google]
confidence.jpg
210KB, 779x851px
Man just get a cat. They're easymode in terms of maintenance, moreso than maintaining an aquarium. If loneliness is the problem fish aren't going to do a lot to remedy it simply because they're alive. A cat will give you emotional feedback, which is what you need to quell loneliness.
>>
>>2435561
ur too nice :)
>>
>>2437798
Aw thank you! ;;

I just really hope I can give a better thanks to the anon that helped me out!
>>
>>2435735
Yes, actually. If I hold my hand over the water my oscar will leap at it.
>>
>>2431305
How have you been expressing yourself sexually?
>>
>>2431298
Woah it's the fish death star...
>>
>>2432127
Do this OP.
Koi fish will outgrow generations of your family, assuming they can take care of it. They'll be useful for when the Chinese take over your country.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.