[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How easy is it to change an adult dog's name? I'm looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1368834686002.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1368834686002.gif
2MB, 300x225px
How easy is it to change an adult dog's name? I'm looking to get a dog from the shelter, but I'll probably want to rename it. Is it as easy as giving them treats every time you say the new name, and then weaning them off the treats?

Does anyone have any experiences where the name just DIDN'T take?
>>
>>2428527
dogs don't really respond to a name, but it's the pitch of how the name was said that makes them react. think about how the dogs name is ie sparky and try to say it's new name ie fido similar to that or in the tone it's previous owner used (if you know what the previous owner's voice was like to begin with)
>>
>>2428527
most of the time the shelter re-names them anyways, so the dog has no fucking clue either way.
>>
i always get adult dogs and i always change the name because shitty names trigger me (off the top of my head i've acquired a pongo, an abby and a shadow BLECHHH)

they learn the new name pretty quick, and it's fun to fuck with them with the old name but eventually they forget it and stop getting riled by it
>>
File: slow motion tennisball waddle.gif (838KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
slow motion tennisball waddle.gif
838KB, 245x184px
>>2428533
>>2428561
thanks anons, good to know

>>2428560
i didn't know that, why would they bother?
>>
>>2428567
>why would they bother?
most shelter animals are abandoned or strays. They don't usually know the name.
>>
>>2428533
>dogs don't really respond to a name, but it's the pitch of how the name was said that makes them react
i don't believe this is true because i like to play a game with dogs called "wanna", where i say things that rhymes with "wanna go for a walk" and wait for them to get excited

smarter dogs know the difference between "wanna go for a walk" and "wanna go have a talk"
>>
>>2428594
Psychological abuse is still animal abuse. How would you like it if people did that to you.
>>
>>2428628
People do that shit with kids all the time
>>
>>2428628
it's not abuse.

they get the walk at the end of the game regardless of who wins
>>
>>2428628
Are you serious
>>
>>2428533
Obviously has never had more than 1 dog. They might not understand the concept of a name and thus feel no existential crisis when their name is changed, but they definitely can know their own specific cue after you've conditioned them to respond to one.
>>
If it's a shelter dog, you can either ask if they know the dogs original name (If it's a surrender/had a name tag its possible they do), and if they don't know, renaming won't effect at all.

Regardless, I don't think renaming is a terrible thing as long as you havent already been calling the dog something for weeks.

>>2428533
>dogs don't really respond to a name, but it's the pitch of how the name was said that makes them react
Depends on how the dog is trained. I spent a long time on my Sheltie's name training (clicker trained), she responds to her exact name. My other dogs come to literally anything.
>>
>>2428567
>Why would they bother
I've had to rename dogs named that were named 1337, Nigger, lil nigger, Killer, Criminal, 420, Felony, Asshole, Money Maker, Whore, Moonshine, FuckFace, Fucker, Ass-o, Kitty diddler, Big Dick, Cunty, Spic, Puta (which I had to have a spic tell me about because I don't know Spanish) Heroin, Vicious Bitchous, holy shit the list goes on. Worst part is I have to figure out a name that sounds similar, it's a policy. People were still turning heads when we'd yell at Digger.
>>
>>2428741
That's a stupid ass policy. Was the idea the dog would learn the new name faster?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.