[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I talk my mom out of getting a shock collar for our puppy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: shockcollar.jpg (9KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
shockcollar.jpg
9KB, 300x300px
How do I talk my mom out of getting a shock collar for our puppy when it grows up?
>>
>>2427788
Tell her its a one way ticket to landing in jail for animal abuse
>>
>>2427788
Tell her that they've been known to catch fire on occasion.
Never heard of it but it sounds plausible enough.
>>
>>2427788
Nothing wrong with a low intensity buzz. Especially if the dog will be in the woods or hiking. I don't care how good the dog's recall is, sometimes a dog will take off after something.
>>
Punch her in the face.
>>
>>2427820
I have a hard time recommending shock collars because the vast majority of dog owners don't use them correctly. They will crank it up because they don't see a drastic response immediately, they will use it as a form of punishment, they will use it inconsistently, and they will keep it on 24/7. All very dumb and dangerous shit to do. However, when used correctly, it's a good tool. But the dog has to be trained before using the collar, it's used to grab attention not an easy out for training.
>>
File: 1498007915295.png (41KB, 512x260px) Image search: [Google]
1498007915295.png
41KB, 512x260px
You tell her you are a little bitch who can't assert dominance over your pupper, and can't discipline it without a zapper. Your dogs not gay so it doesn't need the zapper.
>>
>>2427861
Fuck, I just realised you want to talk her out of it not into it... Ignore my autismal rage
>>
>>2427818
this
if she cant be swayed by logic just make some shit up
>>
>>2427788
Properly train it so it doesn't "need" one
>>
>>2427788
How old is she? If shes like in her 70's you might be able to convince her that a law was made, banning shock collars.
>>
>>2427864
Nice
>>
>>2427788
Why don't you instead teach her the proper way to use a shock collar?

And have her shock herself so she knows what the dog feels.thatsthe first step to using them in my opinion,knowing what the dog will feel.

Nothing wrong with using shock collars to teach dogs boundaries, or obedience. Only people doing it the wrong way.

Might be a waste of money though, most dogs are smart enough to learn things they're taught without a shock collar for discipline.
>>
>>2427915
>walk into store
>still has shock collars

That's a bad idea.
>>
>>2427965

Boundaries in spades. I have neighbors up and down the street that swear by invisible fence. If a dog learns absolutely nothing else it needs to learn the limits of where it can safely roam. And there aren't a lot of clear ways to communicate it (though if anybody here has other ideas on the subject, I'm all ears.). Boundaries along with COME, STAY, and DROP IT are the most essential commands that a dog needs to know.
>>
>>2428019
Why would you need to teach a dog to stay.
If you train well, "Sit" means sit until released. "Down" means down until released. "Stay" is just noise.
In my experience, a dog can learn actions. Teaching a dog an inaction like "No" is really teaching a dog an action - "stop what you're doing and look at me."
"Stay" is not a necessary command. It might make you feel better, but teaches nothing and signifies an unsteady dog.
>>
File: A Major Award.jpg (110KB, 490x654px) Image search: [Google]
A Major Award.jpg
110KB, 490x654px
>>2427788
Since you are determined to not use an e-collar, just Google a bunch of pETA shit and ASPCA garbage that lies about scorched hair and welts on e-collar trained dogs.
If you want to see how a collar is used correctly, and are open to the possibility that horsing a dog around in a choke chain is less humane than momentary doses of low amperage direct current, check out Bill Hillman's e collar conditioning on the youtubes. Mike Lardy, the most successful and respected professional retriever trainer in the world has an excellent e-collar conditioning DVD. People pay Lardy huge money to train happy, enthusiastic dogs that obey hand signals at a quarter mile. Lardy cannot afford to ruin a dog. He's on the youtubes, too.
Don't get me wrong, an idiot trainer can fuck up a good dog using an e-collar, but these guys know how to teach people to to use the equipment correctly, gain excellent results, and are responsible for the development of today's models with auto shutoff and variable intensity.
>>
Use the collar on her. Seriously though, just ask her to get a water one. They work on dogs because it feels unpleasant, but it doesn't hurt them.
>>
>>2427788
I bought a shock collar for myself and was disappointed in how weak they are.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.