[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone give me advice on dealing with aggressive/overly-territorial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: angry cat.jpg (319KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
angry cat.jpg
319KB, 1920x1200px
Can anyone give me advice on dealing with aggressive/overly-territorial cats?

I've moved into my friend's flat for the next few months because business is slow for both of us during the summer and we need to cut costs, and she's got 2 cats. She and her boyfriend are often out leaving me at home with them.

One of them has been scared of everyone since she was a kitten (even my friend) and generally just keeps to herself except when she wants to eat, but the other seems to see the flat as his territory and likes to remind everyone of this fact. He often makes loud noises, and although he sometimes seeks affection he is mostly trying to 'guard' whichever space of the flat he is in. I think the other cat might be timid because of him bullying her but I've never seen him be aggressive towards her.

Earlier I was trying to go into the kitchen and he was blocking my way, making a 'keep out' kind of noise. Later he was on the dining room table with his paws out ready to swipe at me in case I got too close, while making the same noise.

How do I make the cat see that he isn't dominant and that I'm stronger than him without actually pinning him down/ hurting him? I've lived with many cats, including some that didn't want to be friends and I've never dealt with anything like this.
>>
>>2424994
Scruff him. It shouldn't really hurt him and he'll learn who's in charge.
>>
>>2424994
Get rid of one of the cats. They don't like each other and will always display behavioral problems because of it. Cat should mellow out once it becomes the only cat in the household.
>>
>>2424997
Will that work though? In my experience cats learn who's dominant by seeing where their food comes from.

Either way I'll try if he starts to be a problem again.
>>
>>2424997
This, or a good punt.
If they are aggressive towards you, they see as a bitch.
>>
>>2425015
>cats learn who's dominant by seeing where their food comes from
Not always the case. Sometimes they see you as a lower tier provider for the pride or as a mere equal.
>>
>>2425013
You said exactly the same thing in the thread I posted in /v/ by mistake. Is Asian moot using bots to make 4chan seem more active or something?
>>
>>2425022
Nah, I'm just a /v/ermin as well. You would have also found me on /out/, /g/ and /diy/.
>>
>>2425038
OK, well that isn't an option seeing as they aren't my cats or my flat.
>>
>>2425045
Sucks to be you.
Spray the bastard cat with a squirt bottle when he acts up and keep your bedroom door shut. His attitude won't improve, but he'll avoid you at least.

More litterboxes and more vertical space (like shelving) might help the territoriality stuff, but I don't know how much leeway you have to modify the flat.
Also, a pissed off cat usually can't be enticed to play, but you can always try a laser pointer and tossing him treats for good behavior.
>>
>>2424994
Stomp the fucker
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.