[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What breed would /an/ recommend as the number one choice for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: Goldie.jpg (68KB, 590x420px) Image search: [Google]
Goldie.jpg
68KB, 590x420px
What breed would /an/ recommend as the number one choice for a new dog owner? I'm told the golden retriever is the quintessential choice, but I figured this would be a good place to ask.
>>
File: Vlcak.jpg (112KB, 400x278px) Image search: [Google]
Vlcak.jpg
112KB, 400x278px
>>2418274
This, on the other hand, is obviously not a good choice- But the breed has a very nice aesthetic.
>>
usually the definition of "my first dog" also includes "I live alone" "I live in a tiny rented apartment" and "I work for 9 hours and the dog is alone for the total of 12 hours" and such so your thread is a bit braindead. How active are you? Do you have a family? etc
>>
>>2418304
this

work at a pet store, it's amazing how many dog owners completely neglect their animal all day and wonder why it's tearing up their house or chewing its own skin bloody or acting aggressive and neurotic over nothing and why they can't take it out in public because it acts like a spazoid who jumps on everyone and wants to attack other dogs. having a dog is a big responsibility you should not take on unless you are prepared
>>
>>2418274
Newfie. a "real" doggo but completely harmless.
>>
>>2418304
>>2418306
So under 50, independently wealthy, and own 3 acres and a private staff, got it. Any other tips for a prospective dog owner, Sam from Petco, or are we gonna keep up the judgemental misanthropy till we cark it?
>>
>>2418996
10/10 I think you have /an/ pegged

In real life even the mellowest dogs are going to need some exercise, and the energetic ones will destroy shit if allowed to.

people get around that by getting married or crating the dog while they're away or beating the dog when it misbehaves. These techniques all work to varying degrees.

breed choice is up to you. It really doesn't matter much insofar as all dogs display the same basic behaviors. Some live longer than others, some have more energy than others. Aside from that they're all pretty much the same.
>>
Best for beginner is a small to medium mutt adult doggo from the pound. Something between 20 and 60 pounds or so.
>>
File: 1483350213170.jpg (43KB, 720x465px) Image search: [Google]
1483350213170.jpg
43KB, 720x465px
>>
>>2418996
>under 50, independently wealthy, and own 3 acres and a private staff
>he thinks it's between this or "leave your dog alone for 12 hours straight"
>there is no in-between

t. shitty owner
>>
>>2418274
Number one choice for new dog owner is adopted adult mutt

Puppies are for family households with multiple people able to pitch in
>>
>>2419553
So you're only allowed to own a dog if you are a neet, work from home/stay at home, live in a household with multiple people with schedules that align in such a way that there is always someone home, or are willing to spend hundreds of dollars a month on walkers or day care?
>>
>>2419590
>anon said don't get a dog and leave it alone for 8+ hours a day
>hurr they must mean NEVER leave a dog alone ever, hurr how do they expect people with jobs to have a dog a durr durr

t. shitty owner
>>
>>2419613
Your statements are totally incompatible. How are you supposed to have a job and hve a dog then?
>>
>>2419625
>what is a part-time job
>what is a full-time job with a long lunch break
>what is a spouse/partner/roommate with a slightly differing schedule
>what is a job that actually pays well so you can afford a dog-walker for an hour a day
>what are "flexible hours"
>what is "working from home"

there's a difference between "having a job" and "having an 8+ hour per day job with no breaks". that latter one means you should not have a dog. sorry you got triggered. a dog shouldn't be left alone for 8 hours a day. if you can't commit to that, don't get one.
>>
>>2419633
So pretty much what I said here:
>>2419590
???????????????????
>>
>>2419637
you act like there's nothing between "8+ hours alone" and "0 hours alone" so, no, you idiot.

don't get a dog. why would you get a dog to leave alone all day?
>>
>>2419641
But I have two dogs and I leave them alone 3 or 4 times a week for 8+ hours :^)
>>
>>2419642
that makes you a bad owner, why are you trying to defend that?
>>
>>2419642
right, which is why

>t. shitty owner
>>
>>2419644
>>2419646
Good thing I don't care about the opinion of random people from a Cambodian moving lithograph board.

How does this make you feel? How does t make you feel to know I leave my dogs alone all day :^)
>>
>>2419649
lol you're crackin me up anon. i hate how douchey and elitist these boards can get because some no-life neets get a little anonymity. There are plenty of single people with happy healthy dogs. Leaving a dog home alone for a work day will not kill it.

I take mine for a morning jog before work, and an evening walk after work. Park/hike on weekends. He gets free roam of the apartment while I'm gone for work.

Guess what? He's not depressed! He's healthy, happy and always up for something.

These people here are the equivalent of mommy bloggers but for animals.
>>
>>2419650
Same here anon. I give my dogs a walk before work (they aren't into jogging and would way rather just get some good sniffs in). When I get home they get at least one more walk, lots of snuggles and pets, and mental stimulation in the form of training and puzzle feeders.

I take them out everywhere with me I can and people comment all the time they are incredibly well behaved and happy. Leaving a dog along sucks, yeah, but as long as you are spending lots of time with them when you get home, then it can absolutely work. Now if you are getting home and opting to play video games and jack off to anime girls instead of giving your dog time, then that is shitty. But if your dogs mental, physical, and emotional needs are being met, then who cares?
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
As an owner of two of them, I believe the Golden Doodle is good although large
>>
>>2418274
A medium sized mutt.(10-30 kg/22-66 lbs).Avoid pitbull mixes unless you're a hunter.

You should try taking care of a friend's dog for a few days to check if a dog is the right animal for you.If it isn't,get a cat.
>>
>>2418992
This desu
>>2419001
>beating the dog when it misbehaves.
Haven't had to give spankies in a while. Feels good m8. Only discipline by shaming these days. Their guilty mug is bad enough. All my dogs are good boys left alone for always less than 10 hours. No problems with potty training or destroying shit in a while.
>>
>>2419590
A neet? Seriously? Who can't be bothered to work hard and get a job in the outside world to send money on the only important thing in their lives.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.