[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So storytime. >be me >go to parent's house >stray

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1492402956030.jpg (31KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
1492402956030.jpg
31KB, 601x508px
So storytime.
>be me
>go to parent's house
>stray cat they keep feed has kittens and brings them to their porch (c. 5 weeks aged)
>okcute.gif
>4 days later
>bastard Tomcat attacks the kittens
>one of the kittens dies, one is injured, both that remain are in shock
>parents have to go out of state to my aunt's house or something
>say fuck it; adopt the kittens.
>few days later I get them out of their shell-shocked state and playing, eating and etc.
>feelsgoodman.png
>time for first vet visit
>vet gives me antibiotics for both, checks the injured kitten and goes over everything normally
>then comes the FeLV check
>both kittens test positive
>FUCK
>Ask vet what I can do
>she tells me there's no cure and they wouldn't live long if they have it.
>but she tells me that since they aren't showing any symptoms (except the injured one who had a fever, she got over it) they could just be carriers and won't get the virus.
>hopeful but I've always been a downer who ruminates on things
>4 days from now until I go back in and see if I have to euthanize them.

They still aren't showing any symptoms that I'm aware of, but it makes me nervous as hell. I keep thinking about how I might have to euthanize both, or just one. They're siblings and they play and sleep with each other all the time so if I have to put down one, I'm unsure of how the other will react.

What do I do?

Pic semi-related it's my current mental status
>>
Are you going to keep them?

If only one remains then youd better be ready to spend time with it

If you arent then try finding somebody with another kitten or at least another cat
>>
This is what you get for adopting diseased stray kittens when you could be getting an older, healthy, fully vaccinated and cut cat from a shelter and reduce overpopulation. Hope atleast you caught the mom and got her spayed.
>>
I'm planning on keeping them. But I see your point. I'm rather busy on the day-to-day so if one does have to go than I'll probably give the other up.

>>2417378
I wasn't planning on adopting at first. They just needed a home and I offered. The mother is hard to get a hold of because she runs from everyone. But if I have to euthanize I will personally catch her and spay.
>>
I have two feLV cats. Both unrelated and both were probably born with it.i think they are just carriers though since I've had them for over a decade with the oldest going on 18. No issues but a cat that actually goes through the disease really fucking sucks and it's just suffering

If they are carriers then just keep them away from other cats since it's contagious.if you don't keep all of them and rehome them, then it's really not anymore difficult to re-home them as long as they are an only indoor cat, or they already own a feLV cat. It's probably more common than people think and they just don't know.

http://www.lifewithcats.tv/2011/09/13/understanding-felv-loving-and-living-with-felv-cats-2/
>>
>>2417384
And do you think I should euthanize if they aren't carriers? (and yes if they are just carriers I'm keeping them.l
>>
>>2417378
or, you know, you could just not keep gross, stinky vermin cats AT ALL
>>
>>2417398
That isn't my call. It's my parents' call. But as I mentioned, if they are euthanized, I'll make sure it gets spayed.
>>
Do not euthanize. False positives can definitely occur, and some cats/kittens that initially test positive may test negative upon future retests.

>Secondly, some FeLV-infected cats develop an effective immune response, which controls the viral infection and results in a transient viremia instead of a persistent viremia. In these cats, subsequent FeLV tests will show that the cat no longer has virus in its blood. Finally, while there is no complete cure for FeLV or FIV infection, newer treatments and supportive care can often result in several years of relatively good health."

Retest again in 4-6 weeks. If that test is positive too (and until then), keep them exclusively indoor and don't allow contact with other cats.

FeLV is not a death sentence - my own shelter adopts out FeLV+ cats. They can live good, healthy lives for a number of years post-infection... it's just kind of a crapshoot as to their lifespans. Just be aware of symptoms and treatments, and don't make them hang on longer than they should when the time comes that they begin to suffer.

Thanks for doing right by these kittens, anon.
>>
>>2417418
I'm trying, anon. I just don't want them to suffer.
>>
>>2417393
Hard to say because as the other anon just reminded me, false positives do happen. I had mine tested multiple times due to the vet saying that happens sometimes.

I personally don't think they should be put down until/if they start showing signs of the disease but not long enough for it to progress into a shitty miserable life. But I also wouldn't be again last you having them put down as soon as you're sure they aren't just carrying it.
>>
>>2417447
Thanks anon, it's been about two weeks since the last one. I'm going back in in 3-4 days for another test.
>>
You guys, I think one might be getting URI. She's sneezing (not in spasms) and there is a little clear mucus-like substance in her eyes. Is this bad?
>>
>>2417371
You should be an advocate for spaying/neutering and for keeping cats contained. This shit is more common than you'd think but no one brings their cats to a vet. That momma cat can infect other cats, even people's pets who are outside, and I'm positive there are more cats in your neighborhood that have it. If you do keep the kittens know that they will have to be indoor only and shouldn't be housed with healthy cats.
>>
>>2417791
They're indoor cats for sure. I've added it to my to do list to get the momma cat spayed. Eventually.
>>
>>2417398
t.filthy dogfag
>>
>>2417371
>>be me

stopped reading there
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.