[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I dont really know of this is the place to post this but I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I dont really know of this is the place to post this but I really want a hedgehog. I'm really nervous about getting one. I have a couple of questions maybe you guys can help me with.
>are they easy to care for?
>are they're habitats hard to clean?
>are they loving animals like dogs and cats? Do they form relationships and whatnot?

Thanks in advance (:
>>
No
No
No. Yes.
>>
>>2416672

Easy, yes, aside from requiring socialization

habitats, dirty, lots of cleaning (once a week), plus LARGE. These things aren't going to stay in a cutesy aquarium. Ours is in a 4'x2' PVC cage, and technically even that is too small.

they will not form relationships. Like 99% of animals under 30 pounds, they will only build levels of trust. there will be no affection or anything. But that trust is well earned and makes you feel just as warm and tingly. animals do not give trust as freely as humans.

Honestly, the only bad thing I can say is just that they do require a large'ish cage. The rest is the same shit you'd be dealing with if you had a gerbal. Though the diet is MUCH easier with a hedgehog. You can literally feed them high protein, low fat cat food and it would sustain them in near perfect health if you can't find a petstore that sells hedgehog food.
>>
>>2416750
How much socialization do they require? Will they ever not cower whenever you try to pick them up?
>>
>>2416672
Hedgehogs are not very cuddly, btw.

This somehow escapes the thoughts of so many people. They are literally covered with pointy shit to keep shit away.
>>2416793
>Will they ever not cower whenever you try to pick them up?
Like previous anons stated, yes, they can build a level of trust, but it is doubtful they will ever actually enjoy being held a lot.
>>
>>2416672
They're nowhere near as much fun as you would expect them to be, trust me.

Their shit stinks, and they shit A LOT, especially while young.

You need a large cage for them and it will need regular cleaning

They can be comical, but more than often not they're just grumpy little shits. If it wants to bite you it hurts A LOT.

They're not really very loving, but if you handle them a lot then they will tolerate you.
>>
Oh, and yeah, they're easy to look after in terms of diet, and don't need any special treatment.
>>
If your gonna get a small rodent just get a degu
>>
Someone please explain to me what's the fucking point of having a hedgehog other than it looking cool.
They are spiky and hard to handle
They aren't loving
They aren't intelligent
They are hard to take care of]
They are expensive
They shit everywhere including all over themselves

It feels like literally any other small pet is better than a hedgehog.
>>
>>2416672
So hedgehogs arent really domesticated, and you should never expect a non domesticated animal to form a relationship with you like a domesticated animal will.
>>
>>2416971

domestication of non-work species is 99% just breeding out bad temperaments. there's so many posts on this forum from people expecting their iguanas to return kisses and snuggle up against them with a satisfied moan. People just can't stop projecting human traits on their animals. There is no love, no relationship, no bond, only trust and respect. The same way you'd trust and respect a solid, reliable car or fountain pen. That is how animals view you. Either your a shitty car that serves no purpose, or a luxury sedan that safely & consistently delivers food and resources that they need.
>>
>>2416909
They can bite through fucking anything though
>>
>>2417074
People arent computers, they are gonna breed the animals they like. The animals they like are the ones who are friendly and cuddly and seem geuinely happy to see them. Wether this is because youre the food giver or there is a real bond isnt relevant really
>>
>>2416909
This.

I have two, they're great.
>>
>>2417082
They don't bite through metal cages. They will gnaw wooden platforms though, but you can get chew toys for them.

One of mine literally stands there sucking its own dick. Its kinda embarrassing when the mother in-law is looking at the cute little degu, then he starts sucking himself off. Funny little fucker though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.