[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how do I clean a turtle tank? Visiting my parents and my brother

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: Screenshot_20170625-073621.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170625-073621.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
So how do I clean a turtle tank? Visiting my parents and my brother isn't doing a very good job. I thought I read somewhere that I shouldn't change all the water at once, but this shit is pretty dirty. Any basic help plz
Willing to post more pictures
>>
>>2416165
Wow, well.
Remove turtle.
Remove rock.
Dump water.
Gravel in bucket.
Tank in bathtub.
Brillo inner tank, rinse.
Wash gravel with water and hands thoroughly.
Wash algae off rock with water and hands.
Replace gravel.
Replace rock.
New water.
Replace turtle.

You are not a very smart man. I hope you were just asking how to remove that scum.
>>
Well i read some articles that said changing the water all at once could possibly hurt the turtle, which is why I asked here. No need to be a sick. But thank you
>>
>>2416165
>gravel
>that low water line
>that filter

First off, that set up is shit. You'll need more water because most turtles like to swim (and I'm assuming it's a Red Eared Slider considering the tiny critter keeper on the bottom left is what they're sold in), a
bigger tank because it'll outgrow that shit easily in a short amount of time (bigger turtle means more it'll shit which means expect your tank to get filthy in like 2 days), a non shitty, powerful filter(s) because that filter is incredible shit for turtles (more filter power means less water changes and clean water), and remove that gravel because at one point, it will attempt to eat that shit and may die (either go sand, large river rocks it can't fit in it's mouth, or nothing at all)

Honestly with that filter, it's better to change all of the water completely because the bacteria in the filter is not strong enough to deal with all of that shit (this is what you're trying to protect when they say don't change all of the water) Also, turtles aren't like fish, changing all of the water doesn't hurt them as bad as you'd think and they can easily power through the tank cycling process where as fish would pretty much die in that process.(of course with proper filtration and more water/space, you shouldn't have to do massive water changes like that as the bacteria would be able to handle it just fine)
>>
>>2416188
Wow thanks so much kind anon
He/She will be getting a bigger tank and a better filter when I can grab one.
I'm going to remove the gravel and scrub the tank rn.
When shopping for turtle supplies are petsmart/petco any good, or should I look for smaller aquatic animal shops?
>>
>>2416193
Petco/Smart are alright for basic stuff like food, conditioner or extra little supplies.Local aquarium shops are good too baring food as most won't carry turtle food. Filters and other equipment are better online or craigslist as they're more expensive in store (also craigslist is good for getting secondhand aquariums for cheaper prices but be careful from anything you get there and make sure if it works or not) When it comes to all expensive stuff, just price check/compare things in general, that way your wallet will hurt less.
>>
>>2416193
Also as for the little basking rock, in the long run it's better to DIY stuff from things from a hardware store, most of those floating basking ledges aren't ideal for adult turtles, their weight makes them sink (and it's important for them to dry completely) but they work for small/young ones. There's plenty of ways to DIY ones all over the net
>>
What species is it?
>>
>>2416200
>>2416203
Thanks again. The basking rock will be replaced as the turtle (thinking of renaming him/her carracosta) grows
>>2416204
I don't know dude, but I would be willing to take pics of the turtle when I can
>>
Got a vague interest in turtles.
Is it true their aquariums smell compared to fishes, even when clean?
>>
>>2416312
yes
>>
>>2416312
With proper filtration and regular water changes, not really. It might have a different "aquarium smell" compared to fish only aquariums but it's not a strong, pungent odor.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.