[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the smartest individual insects? Can bugs have personalities?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: peacock_spider_0.jpg (30KB, 644x540px) Image search: [Google]
peacock_spider_0.jpg
30KB, 644x540px
What are the smartest individual insects? Can bugs have personalities?

I have a couple of jumping spiders living on the side of my house and they seem so aware as I get to know them.
>>
jumping spiders have great vision. they look aware because they can see you very well
>>
>>2414168
>jumping spider
>insect

>What are the smartest individual insects?
Their nervous systems work very differently from us. They are intelligent in a different way too. They don't think but still can make very intelligent decisions. It's more of a cleverly designed circuit that allows them to do that than pure processing power like in us. Think of it like optimized hardware for doing specific tasks instead of having unomptimized hardware but with a lot of computing power.

Also read this if you're actually serious about learning this stuff.
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/complex-worlds-simpler-nervous-systems

>Can bugs have personalities?
Yes, anyone that has owned a few invertebrates can tell you that. Here's some actual proof though:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1365-2435.12413/abstract
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5240143/
>>
>>2414200
Cool
Not op but this looks interesting
Thanks
>>
>>2414200
You know what I mean. I will also accept crabs as an answer.

I don't see much in snakes and bugs. Fish I can for some reason. I don't think they have a favorite color or love anything anthropomorphizing like that but these spiders are cool. One no longer runs and hides from me so assuming it can learn I am not a threat it's still more than I thought they could do.

I know whether or not bugs can feel pain is a topic but could they feel pleasure/good? Like a cat likes to be scratched under the chin, dog likes belly rubs, social grooming is pleasurable, etc. I assume some insects might clean each other but I wonder if they enjoy it.
>>
>>2414211
I doubt it. As anon above said, they have more optimized, minimalistic hardware. Where a cat can differentiate good touch/bad touch and respond accordingly, a spider only senses that it is touch and responds.

I think*
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (788KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
788KB, 1200x800px
Do dead bugs attract other bugs or is it like a row of impaled skulls?
>>
>>2414396
>a cat can differentiate good touch/bad touch

You're a fucking liar. They bite for no reason. None. I have pet many cats and know well where not to touch them and how gentle to be, but I still get the living shit bit out of me.

It's sadism, not an uncomfortability or a warning.
>>
>>2414610
Leave this bug thread alone, [spoiler]were you paying attention to your cat(s) before you were bit?[/spoiler]
>>
>>2414615
I don't have a cat.
I'm just saying there's no such thing as good/bad when petting. You get bit regardless.
>>
>>2414196
Yeah, these little dudes hunt primarily by sight, so when it seems to be looking at you, it REALLY IS looking at you. Mainly to figure out if it can either kill or fuck you. Probably no on both counts.
>>
>tfw to intelligent
>>
There used to be a green spider that lived in some of our roses that kept those jap beetles under control. I would check on it every once and awhile and it would always hide when I did. It was pretty cute.
Until a storm came and took it away :(
>>
>>2415374
Truly we live in the worse timeline.
>>
>>2415374
I'm sorry anon, spiders are bros
>>
File: Polistes dominula.jpg (41KB, 495x600px) Image search: [Google]
Polistes dominula.jpg
41KB, 495x600px
pic related species have individual personalities IMO (from personal experience, and others' testimony), some timid, some expectant, etc. I know they definitely can get accustomed to human presence and can recognize their own species' facial details to a high degree (Tibbetts, et al) and I would presume they can remember individual humans by sight as well as smell. If so, normally for very small inverts that's a little unexpected, one might not think their brains are big enough. I like the way that wasps will turn and look at you -- similar to the jumping spiders mentioned earlier -- they're very perceptive.
>>
>>2414618
Depends on the individual cat. Fuck off with the "cats are sadists" meme, once you are around an individual long enough you know when and where they like to be petted.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.