[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are moths so slow/easy to kill whereas to swat a bluebottle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: DSCF3698_small_moth_sm.jpg (168KB, 1088x500px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3698_small_moth_sm.jpg
168KB, 1088x500px
Why are moths so slow/easy to kill whereas to swat a bluebottle or housefly you have to build up all of your inner chi and strike faster than the speed of sound
>>
>>2413973
Houseflies are a bad influence and do drugs, mainly cocaine.
>>
you're not suppose to kill moths you monster
>>
I shoot flies with a water bottle filled with water and soap set on stream mode, usually one good hit grounds them
>>
Why is this even worth asking? Moths are slow gliders and flies are agile fighter jets.
>>
>>2414006
>and flies are agile fighter jets
heh... outdated last gen amateurs
>>
>>2414008
I think odanata is one of the oldest insect orders, they definitely outdate modern descendents of flies
>>
File: 1474840378326.jpg (103KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1474840378326.jpg
103KB, 785x757px
As annoying as they are you have to admit it's so goddamn satisfying to down a fly after a lengthy battle
>>
>>2413973
OP, flies perceive time as going in slow motion compared to us. They are able to dodge swats and smacks because of that.
>>
>>2413973
Moths have a clunky method of flying and have parts of their brain dedicated to something other than flying.

Flies are fast and agile, each beat of the wings is minuscule so they can immediately shift their flying pattern to go in another direction. Also their brains are ONE HUNDRED PERCENT FLYING ALL DAY ALL THE TIME HOLY SHIT ALL THAT MATTERS TO THESE FUCKERS IS FLYING. When a lady fly goes up to a dude fly and says "U WAN SUM FUK" he says "OK, BUT MOSTLY I WANT TO FLY" and she goes "ME TOO, LET'S SPEND ONLY A LITTLE TIME FUCKING AND THEN SPEND MOST OF OUR TIME FLYING". If flies could have surgery and get rid of like the 0.001% of their brain dedicated to doing shit other than flying, they would probably do it.
>>
>>2414024
X-Men's Quicksilver of insect world, if you will.
>>
>>2413973
>>2414018
Flies don't really see clearly that something is coming toward them, they feel the disturbance in the air. The trick is to wait until they are sitting still for a moment and very slowly approach them with the swatter. When you're so close that they can't escape, smack them.
>>
It's easy to catch them with a bug net and put them outside than try to swat them.
>>
Me?
I prefer chopsticks
>>
>>2413976
the ones that grew up in the food yes.
>>
File: big boi.jpg (49KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
big boi.jpg
49KB, 580x435px
>>2413976
>you're not suppose to kill moths you monster

Gypsy Moths, Anon, Gypsy Moths. Kill them at all costs if you live in the United States.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymantria_dispar_dispar

Other moths are awesome.
>>
>>2413973
That's literally what makes flies flies. The defining feature of flies (diptera=2 wings) is that two of their wings evolved into these lil nubs called halteres which they pivot as a counterweight to change direction mid flight. Its a beautifully simple adaptation that works ridiculously well
>>
Whenever I make a genocide of flies with my electric racket, they all get cleaned out by ants
>>
File: meganeura-size.jpg (152KB, 700x709px) Image search: [Google]
meganeura-size.jpg
152KB, 700x709px
>>2414015
>Implying there are superior flyers to Odonates
>Implying new is better
>>
>>2414015
so its like a concorde, or 1950s bombers?
>>
>>2413973
We call my brother Mr. Amiyah I cause he's able to ninja sneak on a fly and seat it with hai bare hands. He gets then like 90% of the time.
>>
>>2418918
Meant to say Mr. Miyagi
>>
HELPFUL TRICK:

If you clap hard just above a fly, it will fly up and hit your hand, causing it to die. So long as you're good at making a clap, and you've got the right hight and position over the fly, it's very effective. You don't really smash it in your hand either, I don't know how it works but it does.

My uncle taught this to me in the shop and a party/shop trick to impress people, and it's really cool.

Just clap over them. I'm not pulling your leg, this shit works.
>>
>>2413973
See, houseflies are naturally born with a connection to the force, and they have tiny fly swatters instead of lightsabers.
>>
File: halteres.gif (2MB, 532x399px) Image search: [Google]
halteres.gif
2MB, 532x399px
>>2415414
>>2414082
>>2413973

This is basically your answer. The Halteres are what make them so acrobatic, it's like a tiny flight-path prediction system based on air pressure and gyroscopic responses. you can see them in this gif.
>>
>>2418921
I tried it and my testicals started hurting really bad
i fucking hate you
>>
File: Earworm-moth-wikipedia.jpg (198KB, 660x440px) Image search: [Google]
Earworm-moth-wikipedia.jpg
198KB, 660x440px
>>2413973
>Depends on the moth, because some are actually pretty fast.
Moths are more evolved to be more silent to the ears of hungry bats and birds. They are essentially the owls of insects.
The same is not with flies (excluding fruit-flies). They instead opted for speed and quicker reflexes.

Maybe it's because the lifestyle of flies that cause them to be more likely vulnerable and targeted to be killed, especially by humans. Thus the quickest survived and passed on their genes
>>
>>2419726
Evolution is a lie
>>
I've never had a problem swatting down flies, I don't know. I don't have any special training, I just swipe as fast as I can, and I hit them usually +80% of the time. I also use an open hand, fingers slightly spread apart, maybe that does something?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.