[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So we have a friend, got a dog, was pregnant, and they're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: german-shepherd-puppy-10.jpg (219KB, 680x454px) Image search: [Google]
german-shepherd-puppy-10.jpg
219KB, 680x454px
So we have a friend, got a dog, was pregnant, and they're giving one of the pups (female) to us for the cost of her shots. Mother's a husky, and best they can tell, the father is either part St Bernard or German Shepherd. There are a couple things I'm unsure about before we commit to anything:

1. I'd love a dog I can exercise, but I've heard stories about St Bernards breaking their legs jumping off of a bed. I can't do much about it either way, but I'm wondering if physical traits take after either the mother or father more dominantly.

2. I'm going to see the pups tonight to be sure we want to take one. I very much prefer the longer husky/Shepherd muzzle/snout and altogether sleeker look over the shorter St Bernard snout and floppy ears, and I'm not totally crazy about the droopy mouth area. Is there anything I can look for in the pups (i.e. fur, head shape, behaviour) that I can use to be a bit more sure about either what the mix is, or what they'll grow up to look like? If it helps at all, the pups all look to have black noses, but some of them have that pink vitiligo look.

Pic somewhat related, I don't have a picture of the actual puppies right now, but this one has similar fur, but a little less brown and more black.

Actually, if fur print helps:

Mostly black, looks like some brown "accents" (ear area, "eyebrows"), few spots along the body
White stripe running up from the middle of the nose, stops under the eyes and picks up again between brows to run down the head
One of the other pups are white with the kind of eye markings I see on a lot of St Bernards.

Thoughts?
>>
1) it's a crapshoot, but I have never heard of St. Berns every breaking their leg from a jump, are you sure you aren't thinking of another breed?

2) Not at all. If you are going off of looks I assume you are very experienced with dogs or you are not going to have a good time with this one.

Pic related, link related
http://www.fidosavvy.com/choosing-a-healthy-puppy.html
>>
Remember to give the puppy time before trying to do anything hard on their joints like running. I think it's at least a year for smaller dogs, not sure for the larger breeds. Ask your vet.
>>
don't feed him puppy food and don't neuter until after he's reached sexual maturity
>>
>>2411908
wow I hate this image
>>
File: IMG_20170619_212529.jpg (186KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170619_212529.jpg
186KB, 720x960px
We have Shepherd Husky mix. The female here grew up to have very slender face. The boy is more robust, but no drooling.
>>
File: IMG_20170503_164643.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_164643.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2412186
Comparison of what they look like at about 10 months. Girl is closest to the pan.
>>
>>2412152
It's retard friendly but that's ok because the majority of the population doesn't understand DNA
>>
>>2411908
>that image
Yikes. Of course it's from some pit bull advocacy group. They do realize people don't hate pit bulls because of "how they look", right? And that hundreds of years of breeding wasn't done for just looks, right?

Also, OP, as for St. Bernards, they just need a bit more care when it comes to exercising and feeding them. You want to put them on a low calcium diet for puppies to slow their growth, and you don't want them to get much hard, joint-stressing exercise. That means no jumping, stairs, sprinting, or climbing until they're two years old. They stop growing at two. Though, being mixed with the significantly smaller husky, they'll probably stop a little earlier.

It sounds like a really fucking difficult dog to take care of, honestly. The energy levels of a Siberian will make it really hard to keep that bulky Bernard body from exercising too hard.
>>
>>2412478
Oh, also, since I didn't read the bit about the dad possibly being a GSD: sometimes puppies from the same litter can have different dads. The white Bernard-y looking puppy you mentioned could be the only Bernard puppy while the others have a GSD dad. It's a crapshoot! This is why your neighbors are shitty people and need to spay their damn dog.
>>
>>2412478
It's about the genome and that a mixed breed dog may not act like the breed it looks like.
>IT HAS A PIT BULL IN IT IT MUST BE SHILL
It's like no one here ever finished high school.
>>
>>2412485
>seeking equal treatment and opportunity for "pit bull" dogs
>not a shill

also, even a direct cross between two purebreds doesn't mean the dog inherits 50% of its genes from each parent. it could inherit 40-60. or 10-90. already you know this chart is garbage from its pseudoscience claims, and it's a shill to boot.
>>
For now just make sure the puppies stay with the mom until at least 10 weeks, ideally 12 so they can get the proper socialization they need to learn things like how to act around other dogs and bite inhibition
>>
>>2412508
Oh wow you're actually retarded. When a gamete spilts, the chromatid sisters are paired with sisters from each parent you mongoloid. Just because the phenotype won't be 50/50 doesn't mean the genotype is. Keep in mind the vast majority of our genes don't even make up physical characteristics but instead code proteins to keep our cells functional. Can you point out where it says anything about equal treatment for pit bulls? I don't think you can because you made it up.
>>
>>2412508
>it could inherit 40-60. or 10-90.
kek
>>
>>2413086
Right at the bottom it's the company fucking motto
>>
>>2413086
it's literally right at the bottom of the picture you idiot
>>
>>2413308
>>2413375
Maybe finish out a real biology class.
The phenotype is what we see expressed, expression meaning the gene is actively being used to make proteins. The genes that it possesses, that it inherited 50/50 from both parents, are what it has to choose from. It gets half of its genome from each parent. This entire set of genes that it inherited is called the genotype.

The phenotype is what actually gets used out of that set, and is where inheritance can start to become visible. The article isn't saying that it only inherits 10% of one parents DNA, no matter what it inherits 50%, (more like 70% from mom if male, the X chromosome is way bigger). What they are saying is that of the 50% it got from the german shephard mom, only one itty bitty miniscule fraction of her genome might get used, say for pointy ears. The rest of her genome may go completely unused, where genes from the pitbull fathers side are dominant, resulting in short coarse hair and a general pitbull appearance. The infographic is simply stating that DNA evidence (genotype) is unrelated to physical traits (phenotype).

>>2412508
This guy, is actually retarded.
>>
>>2413410
>better autistically ramble on a little more so they ignore the pitbull shilling
>>
>>2413308
>>2413375
Apologies I missed the super small logo with the tiny print circling the outside of it which is partially covered by a picture. That must mean that all these centuries of observing inheritance and researching biology is wrong because someone used the word pit bull in a motto. Honestly I'm just taking your word for it because I still can't read that without opening it in a new tab, I'm surprised something so small would create such massive butthurt.
>>
File: IMG_0553.jpg (334KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0553.jpg
334KB, 750x1334px
Post pics of the puppies. Also just be warned that people say their dog is mixed with German Shepherds or Huskies because they are popular dogs. But usually they are just mixed with one of the two and pitbull Terrier. Which isn't bad if you have the dedication to put up with pitbull personality. My GSD pictured
>>
>>2413513
>. That must mean that all these centuries of observing inheritance and researching biology is wrong because someone used the word pit bull in a motto.

the whole point of that shitty infographic is to perpetuate the pitbull apologists' lie that breeds don't matter and you can never predict temperament in a dog based on its breed.

>we can't accurately predict future behavior based on a dog's breed or DNA

yes you damn well can, that's the point of breeds in the first place.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.