[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of dog can I get that can be left alone for long periods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: random_spyro_set.jpg (76KB, 792x829px) Image search: [Google]
random_spyro_set.jpg
76KB, 792x829px
What kind of dog can I get that can be left alone for long periods of time. I leave at 7:30 am and come back at 6 pm (mon - fri, weekeds are free). I am able to spend time with the dog after I get back so I can walk it then. I live alone and have an above average sized backyard. From my research so far it seems like basset hound is the only dog appropriate for someone like me. Any others?
>>
Don't buy a dog if you don't have time for it. Dogs need much attention from their owners and there should at least be one person with the dog at all times.
You can buy yourself a dog in your living situation but it will be very unhappy.
>>
>What kind of dog can I get that can be left alone for long periods of time

a cat
>>
You would also need to walk it before 7.30am. Some dogs will tolerate boredom better than others, but for all dog breeds, you should generally plan on at least two walks a day, even if this translates to a gentle stroll for more low energy breeds.

You would also have to look at arranging access to that backyard - it isn't realistic to expect any dog to hold their bladder for over ten hours and understand they just can't drink much if they're thirsty, so some kind of secure enclosure with decent shelter from the weather would be needed if you don't want to risk coming home to a house that smells like dog shit.
>>
>>2409511

This

Even though my cats definately miss me when I am gone, and require several minutes of i-am-home-pettings after work, they are nowhere near as desperate for attention as my dog did back when I had one.

Just get a cat
>>
OP, so long as you make sure the dog gets adequate attention and exercise while you're home, and you can make arrangements for the dog to be able to go out to pee while you're gone (see >>2409520,) you should be just fine getting a dog.

Any low-to-medium energy dog would likely do well with you, given you make up for the lost time during the day.

I wouldn't recommend getting a puppy, though, since you live alone--puppies will need to be taken outside every couple of hours to housebreak them, and will need a lot more attention/training so they don't become destructive or develop separation anxiety or other bad habits.

Some tips:
- try to give your dog some exercise before you leave in the morning
- give your dog some chews, puzzle toys, or filled Kongs to occupy himself while you're away
- mental stimulation goes a long way in tiring a dog out, much more than mindless physical exercise like running does. Implement some training games and such into your dog's daily routine to help him expend some energy. A combination of physical+mental exercise does wonders for any dog.

>>2409504
>there should at least be one person with the dog at all times.
>at all times.
That's a little excessive. A well-adjusted dog should be able to be left alone for short stretches of time (like a normal workday) with no problems. Dogs sleep more than humans and a well-adjusted dog is content to nap or gnaw on a Kong while their owner is away.
>>
Thank you everyone for your responses. I've decided that it will probably be best to wait until my lifestyle changes before getting a dog
>>
catbull
>>
>>2409488
Any low energy dog breed would do fine
BUT
You cant do that on a pup, it will fuck it up
>>
>>2409488
Basset are low energy, does not mean they are low maintenance. They are actually quite the attention whores and are known to suffer from separation anxiety. I would suggest a low energy, older dog (you simply can not do anything under a year old being gone for half the day) that you either bring to doggy daycare or have someone come by and walk a couple times a day while you're at work. I would honestly suggest something like senior age. It would still need some kind of physical activity before and after work, preferably something to really tire him out. And something to do during the day, like chews or frozen kongs or food puzzles. Also keep in mind no one will be home to tell the dog not to chew on something or take it out when it has to pee at 8 am, so don't get mad at the poor thing if you come home to a mess.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.