[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi /an/. I just picked up a husky from a shelter today. he is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

hi /an/.
I just picked up a husky from a shelter today. he is an adult, i think the vet said 1-2 yo, he was busy so he kinda parried me. anyway, I was wondering a few things:
Can I still train him for at least basic commands or should I forget about it unless I am ready to put in hours every day?

Can I wash him? If yes, how should I do it?
Any particular thing I shouldn't feed him?

Also open to any other suggestions
>>
>>2405421
Nigga cut your grass.
>>
File: dogs dangerous foods.jpg (133KB, 742x960px) Image search: [Google]
dogs dangerous foods.jpg
133KB, 742x960px
Huskies are very high-energy because they were bred to be sled dogs. They are also very intolerant of heat so you have to be aware of that. If you would be uncomfortable outside in a coat then your dog should not be outside.

They need lots of exercise and mental stimulation, such as toys, games, tasks to do, and possibly even things like puzzle feeders. High energy dogs that get bored can get destructive.

I also hear that huskies are notoriously good escape artists, especially if you leave them in a yard.

I'm not sure how you wash him, I would go to google for that. However, you dog has a double coat. An outer "guard layer" of fur, and then an inner layer for insulation called the "undercoat". This inner layer will shed, and it will shed a fuckton twice a year. This is called "blowing the coat", and you will need to groom more during this time. There will be a LOT of fur when this happens, so it's good to get a comb specifically for undercoats to help get rid of the loose hair.

In general, do not give human food. However you can supplement the diet with some things. Eggs, carrots, meat, and animal organs are all good for dogs.
>>
File: dogs food safe and not safe.png (1MB, 586x3829px) Image search: [Google]
dogs food safe and not safe.png
1MB, 586x3829px
>>2405438
Definitely train the dog. Start with basic commands and then move on to more complex stuff. Training should be in short segments, and made into a game. You want the training to be fun for the dog, because then they will want to do it. Especially with intelligent dogs like huskies, if they don't want to do it, they'll be a lot more resistant and it will cause frustration for both you and him. Make it snappy, make it fun, positive reinforcement is best.

Show the dog what you want. teach the first step, then praise. Repeat until the dog has learned it. Then teach the next step. Positive reinforcement is best. If the dog does something you want, praise. If the dog misbehaves, show the dog what to do, then praise that behavior. Redirect instead of punish. If redirection doesn't work, then escalate to a scold for bad behavior, followed by redirection and praise. Punishment should only be a last resort, because not only is it less effective, it damages your relationship with the dog and it will be less cooperative in the future.

Once you've taught basic commands, then I highly recommend you move on to more stuff, because dogs like huskies like to have a job to do.
>>
>>2405433
i just arrived at the place. the dog seems to like it. he is skipping around everywhere like there is snow
>>2405438
>>2405442
thanks a lot
>>
>>2405465
Long grass like that is definitely going to have ticks. Talk to your vet about what you can get to prevent ticks (and flees), even if you decide to cut the grass.
>>
>>2405476
yea that is certain in this area. i also noticed he chews (don't know if he actully consumes it) grass. is that a sign of anything?
>>
>>2405479
Sometimes dogs do that if their stomach is upset, or if they're being particularly playful.
>>
>>2405515
hmm, speaking of upset stomach, I noticed at the shelter that he did something like what you would call "cleaning its throat", which is something i never saw a dog do. aany knowledge what that may be about?
>>
>>2405520
No, eating grass is indigestion/acid reflux, which may be his new food. Force tums in and switch brands.
>>
>>2405526
oh, well i haven't used any dogfood with him yet, must be the food at the shelter.
is it a bad idea to feed him with basically what i eat? wouldn't that be better?
>>
>>2405540
Yes it is a bad idea. Dogs systems are not human systems, and while they are better adapted to our diet than wolves are, they are still carnivores and should not live on our high-grain, high-starch, high-sugar, high-salt omnivorous diet. Your dog will get sick and vitamin deficient and probably obese, and all of this will lead to more medical bills in the future.

You also want to avoid giving your own food as treats or letting them have "just a nibble" when you are eating. Your food is your food and they don't get it. Their food is their food and you don't get it. If you feed them from your plate you will encourage begging and other undesirable behavior.
>>
>>2405548
I see, so strictly dog food you say. what about meat leftovers?
and i don't let him in the house anyway, i didn't mean i shared my own food.
>>
>>2405556
Meat leftovers can be fine but remove all bones and preferably all fat and gristle, too.

Also absolutely never ever give chicken or bird bones. Ever.
>>
>>2405556
And if you don't let him in the house, you have to be sure he can tolerate the temperature or you could literally kill him.

And if you keep him out of the house you need to provide extra mental stimulation. A dog sitting outside on a tether with nothing to do will get depressed, bored, and aggressive to everyone including you. And it's a husky, chances are he will escape. He could probably jump and climb over that fence.
>>
>>2405556
Where do you live, OP?
>>
>>2405559
i understand chicken bones, but big bones are bad too? dogs and bones are just a meme?
>>2405563
hmm, the lowest it'd get is 5C, i think a husky can handle it cant it? also it stays indoors (but not home) at night cause of dogs so temperature won't be a problem, it's pretty nice here except at nights.
i go out to the garden very oten and he is unleashed, so i think stimuliation will be fine. about escaping, I tried him, there was only one place where he could jump over the wall and I took care of that, so I think it'll be fine unless his jumping skills gets better (is that possible for an adult?)
also it's pretty early to say this ofc but he doesn't really get away from me. every dog around here wanders off to surroinding villages (to see/fight/fuck/whatever other dogs) but this guy haven't done that yet despite having the chance. maybe it's just that he isn't aware but he could probably smell the dogs i think, the villages aren't that far.
>>2405569
turkey, central black sea
>>
>>2405584
cause of wolves*, not dogs.
he feels unhappy about having to stay indoors, everytime i look he is right at the door shoving its head through the opening i left for him. i'll have to arrange something better. any suggestions? i think he'd hate a dog-house equally, and i am not sure if that would be really good at protecting him from wolves.
>>
>>2405421
Good job on adopting from shelter, that's amazing. Really. About washing. Get some shampoo for doggos. My dog likes when water is lukewarm, not too cold or too hot. Before washing take him for a LONG walk, so he gets tired - makes washing hyper doggo more easily. Be careful to avoid eyes and ears, so water will not get in there (you can wash ears with some cotton later, but be very careful). If you live in a forest area and take your dog to the forest a lot, you might consider getting anti-tick collar or applying some anti-tick meds.
>>
>>2405597
I say that cause my dog is a tick magnet and we spend long hours in a forest. As a result I spend hours taking ticks out of her (if I forget meds or collar). I live in Europe and we have some sort of a tick invasion. Dunno about other areas though.
>>
>>2405584
About bones. Just be careful. My father gives our dog tons of bones and she likes to "protect them". Not in an aggresive way, just likes to grab the bone and try to hide it from us, or the cat, or anything that is alive and moves past her. Recently I noticed she lost a tooth while "protecting" the bone and she's only 3 years old... so if your dog will react nervously around the bone, be careful.
>>
>>2405584
Huskies are adapted for polar temperatures. They can handle -50C, but suffer in hot weather. He will be able to to handle 5C fine but honestly you're probably going to need to keep the dog indoors during the day if it's above 25C, with air conditioning on. If the dog has to stay outside, make sure the dog has plenty of shade and a massive amount of water. Consider getting the dog a pool to cool off in, and keeping the pool in the shade.

Dogs cool off by panting and losing water through their tongues. Providing plenty of water will help stave off dehydration. Until you know what temperatures your dog can handle, be careful. Keep a very sharp eye out for signs of dehydration. Look for sunken eyes, thick saliva, and you can check skin elasticity by gently pinching the skin of the neck. If the neck skin stays pinched, the dog is severely dehydrated. If the dog is dehydrated, provide small amounts of water frequently until the dog is recovered.

If the dog is panting excessively and in very short gasps, seems lethargic, has an unusually red tongue, is unresponsive, or has tremors/elevated heart rate, the dog is probably in heatstroke and needs immediate medical attention.
>>
>>2405442
Beagles love blueberries
>>
>>2405649
I see. The dog pants excessively only when it enters the car, but I think it is more about excitement/fear, rather than heat, as he settles down later.

It gets near/above 25c at noon only, but there are shades all around, tho he doesn't seem to be preferring them. Also, he doesn't drink much water, I mean almost none compared to other dogs my relatives etc had. I took him to the vet today for vaccines and asked about that, they said he is just nervous but I dunno.

Also in the last few hours -since we came back from the vet- he has been kinda passive. He also didn't eat anything since (I thought maybe it was the dogfood so tried meat which he ate yesterday, but he didn't eat that either). Bad sign?
>>2405597
thanks for the advice. the vet applied some stuff for ticks, I think it'll be fine.
I am planning to take him to the forest as soon as I get some free time, I hike a lot and it sure would be nice to have him around. I can't be sure if I should leash him or not tho. He never gets too far away from me, but he also never follows me step by step, which could be a problem in the forests. Leash could also be a problem since this place is pretty steep, I might have hardships wandering around with him trying to drag me to wherever.
>>2405597
I see, I don't really plan to constantly give him bones, only when it happens that I have leftover bones from meals.

Btw, what can I give for him to play? I tried various balls, threw them, left them in front of him, but he didn't really respond as soon as he understood it wasn't food. I think he needs something to play with when I am inside
>>
>>2405526
They can also eat grass just because they like it anon. My dog gobbles down the long, soft, reedy grass that grows around our creek. He'd eat it all if I didn't chase him off it. No other grass, all poops normal, will fight me for a handful. I'd say he likes it.
>>
OP here.
The dog is sick, hasn't eaten anything but grass since I came back from the vet and he threw that up as well. He drank water but for some reason he choose to drink from a dirty rusty metal thing that has been out for months instead of clear water in front of him.
Is this all because of vaccinations or something else? I called the vet and he told me to come back for anti-biotic treatment. Anything I can do before vet appointment for the guy?
pic unrel
>>
>>2405421
Is this bait?
>>
>>2406674
no. what is even bait-y about it?
>>
>>2406671
OP again.
The vet said he has a problem in his lungs, started a treatment. 2 vaccinations and 1 sprey a day. Any advice on how to do it? he got quite nervous even when the vet did it and I have to do it alone.

Also is it safe to feed a dog tomatoes and cucumber? He only ate chicken and that's over now. I tried to mix the chicken with the dogfood, but he basically spit out the dogfood piece by piece.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.