[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I'm ready to adopt a kitten, but I've never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1414467083652.png (21KB, 176x232px) Image search: [Google]
1414467083652.png
21KB, 176x232px
I think I'm ready to adopt a kitten, but I've never owned a pet before and don't even know where to begin. What do I need to know about raising one, and where's the best place to adopt?
>>
File: IMG_20170612_105135.jpg (828KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170612_105135.jpg
828KB, 1600x1200px
>>2405207
i just adopted my 2nd cat two days ago from the animal shelter local. i bonded with her right away
>>
>>2405207
Cat's introduced to a new home will be anxious at first. Set up a box in a closet with blankets lining the bottom. Boxes are proven to reduce anxiety in cats, and the closet will also give her a safe space.
When approaching the cat to pet it, let it sniff your finger first. Pay attention to body language (specifically the ears, and how the tail is moving) to determine if the cat wants to be pet.
Shake a bag of treats while calling its name so it learns to come and learns its name.
Don't let it outside. It can get hurt and will hurt the ecology of wherever you are. Plus it will annoy you and scratch at the door all the time.
It will take time for the cat to adjust, but all cats can become good, loving pets. I took in a wild kitten, which had some wild tendencies obviously, and it is now the most loving kitten which is inseparable from me.
Good luck.
>>
>>2405211
Aww, what's her name?
>>2405225
>Pay attention to body language (specifically the ears, and how the tail is moving)
What are the signs pointing either way?
>>
Please be aware that the first year of a cat and dog's life is the most expensive one due to the requirement of vaccine series, spay/neuter, and deworming. If you're set on a kitten, adopt from somewhere that includes these things in the adoption fee.

Do not get a "free" kitten from craigslist or similar means. Usually they have health issues that outweigh what you would pay for an adoption fee.

I'd actually recommend getting a 1ish year old cat if this is your first animal. They're still very much kittens, but their personalities are more set by that point, so you have a better idea of what you're getting into.
>>
Do not use your fingers to play or allow the kitten to play-bite them. This is cute when they're little, but not when you have an adult cat that has been taught biting human hands is an acceptable or encouraged thing. Always play using toys; if she bites you, redirect onto a toy or simply walk away.

Do not declaw, it's fucking awful. Get kitten used to casual paw-handling and nail trimming early - it pays off. Get at least one scratching post and put it in a well-trafficked area of the house. I personally find cats like sissel rope scratchers the best, but you can also get cardboard or carpet ones.

Appropriate number of litterboxes: number of cats + 1. If you have a house with multiple levels, put one on each floor.

Steer clear of kittens that you know were bottle babies. They are more likely to develop behavioral issues due to early separation from mom.

Feed both dry andcwet to get her used to varying textures of food/make her less picky as an adult. Taste of the Wild is a fairly good quality, reasonably-priced food. Cats should always have diets at least supplemented by wet food.
>>
Oh yeah. If you can, I 100% recommend fostering a kitten to sort of have a "test run". There are thousands upon thousands of kittens desperately in need of foster homes right now. Give it a shot, and if you decide you may not be ready after all, kitten goes back to the shelter/humane society a few weeks later and no harm is done.
>>
>>2405268
I live in an apartment, would I still need 2 litter boxes for one cat?
>>
>>2405237
ears pointed back or tail violently flicking means back of. If the tail is just lazily moving around that's a good sign.
>>
File: 20160214_145253.jpg (788KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160214_145253.jpg
788KB, 2048x1152px
>>2405225 >>2405357 again,
It's also important to play with your cat everyday. A lot of people think cats don't need stimulation or human interaction and that is flat out wrong. Play with your kitten 20-30 minutes two times a day if you can. My cat loves playing with rope that I move around to activate her predator instinct, as well as peacock feathers, but try out a few different things to see what yours likes.
>my kitten
>>
>>2405237
i think im going to go with "Nep Nep". thanks /v/
>>
>>2405370
Sounds more like a /co/ recommendation.
>>
don't get a kitten. they're like tattoos in that only emotionally unstable people don't regret getting it after a few years
>>
File: 1480966646075.jpg (56KB, 603x606px) Image search: [Google]
1480966646075.jpg
56KB, 603x606px
>>2405709
I'd prefer a dog, but I live alone and work all day. A cat is fine too.
>>
>>2405268
>Steer clear of kittens that you know were bottle babies. They are more likely to develop behavioral issues due to early separation from mom.
My cats were bottle babies. They eat plastic and suckle shirts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.