[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /an/ hate him? Is his advice bad? My little sister is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: manofdog.jpg (973KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
manofdog.jpg
973KB, 1280x960px
Why does /an/ hate him? Is his advice bad? My little sister is getting a puppy next month, and she's using one of his books on puppy training.
>>
>>2402806
You and yo dog are at a gamestop and this guy punches yoir pupper's ass. WYD?
>>
I don't hate him, but I think his training is overly aggressive on your average dog. On problem dogs with excessive aggression I don't really have an opinion, as I have not dealt with them.

So I don't really recommend him on your puppy, for example.
>>
File: IMG_6144.jpg (389KB, 908x679px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6144.jpg
389KB, 908x679px
>>2402811
watch as my dog SMASHES him
>>
I think he has some good ideas about calm assertiveness. The show is just funny for laughing at Cesar kicking the shit out of neurotic dogs, but I also like him telling off stupid owners who are just making their dogs insane like 99% of dog owners. I don't hate him, but he's a mix of actually wanting to help people and increasing drama for views.
>>
>>2402812
Little sister is getting a Schnauzer/Poodle mix puppy, so not sure about how aggressive it's gonna be, but parents are supposed to be pretty laid back. I'll tell her about that, thanks m8.
>>
>>2402806

Tell her to read Ian Dunbar's work instead. Ceasar's real problem is that he's a TV personality with no education or formal training in animal behavior and he seriously can't read dog body language for shit. However, his emphasis on exercise and daily training is great.
>>
Cesar's only good advice is to keep your dog exercised properly.

He subscribes to alpha theory, which is shit, has been debunked, and even the guy who literally first theorized it said it's bullshit.

The way he physically punishes dogs does more harm than good. I do think there's a time and place to get physical with your dog, like a swat on the ass, or a quick jerk of the leash, but he goes too hard and too often. What Cesar does isn't calming dogs down, it's teaching them to hide their fear or aggression until it boils over.
>>
>>2402806
Do not alpha roll a puppy. Idk what his puppy book covers but I really hope she reads something by someone who's not a meme solely for getting bit, pissing dogs off and being a Mexican.
>>
>>2402806
If I tried anything from his television shows on my older dog, I'd definitely get bit. If I tried any of it on my younger dog, I'm likely to get bit but not definitely. If I managed it and neither of them bit me, then all we would have achieved would be ruining our working relationship and undermining the mutual respect we have for each other.

You should definitely remain calm. If you're calm, your dog is so much more likely to remain calm also. The calm thing, and the regular exercise thing, are about the only sensible bits of advice that come out of his mouth. But "asserting" yourself should in no way involve hitting the dog, kicking the dog, or forcing the dog to roll over.
>>
>>2402806
/an/ is just full of racists.
>>
>>2402813
Boots WTC
>>
>>2402896
Funny thing that it never "boiled over" yet.
All dogs, in all his packs are well behaved. I don't think you are the right person to judge him, or are you a world famous dog trainer? Show us your tricks faggot.
>>
>>2403090
>There are people alive right now that think it's not only acceptable but absolutely necessary, that when you get a pet you lower yourself to its level and hope the fucking thing respects you
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
I've read a couple of his books, and his methods of training and raising dogs are not as harsh as the "behaviour fixing" that he does in his show. If you follow the guidelines in rasing the dog, you will never get to a point where he would use such force to correct behaviour.
>>
Hes an example that its possible to be fundamentally wrong about all the things that make a dog happy, confident, and a good boy or girl, and still be a successful dog trainer.
>>
People genuinely believe that dogs try to dominate their owners and perceive their family as a pack with the same group dynamics as captive wolves. Theres not a single shred of truth to this, but its so easy to believe because it kind of sounds right to people.
>>
Aye, dogs aren't on a quest for world domination. Read Victoria Stillwell's article on him
>>
>>2403398

One of his dogs mauled someone. He was walking it offleash (because laws don't apply to him apparently) and it attacked.

Google is your friend.
>>
>>2403398
He has been bitten by other peoples dogs, and there have been multiple lawsuits against him because dogs he has "cured" have bitten. The only reason his dogs haven't bitten him yet is because there are 22 of them and he can probably never get close enough to any of them to get bitten
>>
He has some good tips but he's way too aggressive and alpha theory is bullshit.

Now I'm not some positive reinforcement only faggot, sometimes a dog needs a smack to the butt, but there is still mostly positive reinforcement. I think it's important that you are patient with your dog and you are both comfortable. Learn your new dogs personality. Pinching and hissing at a dog until it's no longer a brat is only good for one thing. Making your dog not a brat when you're in the room. Proper training is a lot of work but that's dog ownership.
>>
File: image.png (11KB, 570x365px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
11KB, 570x365px
Calm assertiveness is just escape extinction.
Repeatedly taking dogs on walks, giving them food and treats strategically--that's just positive reinforcement. Caesar then also includes stuff that is dangerous and unsupported.

Any book by a veternary behaviorist will give you the info you need to train dogs.
>>
>>2402806

Watch Peter Caine on youtube.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.