[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /an/ my friend is giving away a 6 month old staffy x american

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

sup /an/
my friend is giving away a 6 month old staffy x american bulldog for freeeee and I really wanna adopt it BUT i've never had a dog before. I'm a big animal guy in general but i've only owned cats and one frog, and I currently own one small cat. Is there anything I should know before I adopt it and is it a violent breed?

I don't mind it being a big guy 4 me but I don't want to risk adopting something that could end up being violent
>>
>>2401249
pls respond
>>
Animals are unpredictable, no one knows certainly for their behavior
>>
File: image.jpg (314KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
314KB, 900x1600px
>>2401257
idk might be cool
the owner wants to give him away and seems nice so i dont think he'll have been raised to be violent but im worried he might be bred with a violent dog somewhere down the line
>>
>>2401261
bump
>>
>>2401249
Ask your friend to bring the dog over and see how he responds to the cat.

Hell, like the other anon said, anything can happen. Your cat might be the one to fuck with the dog. Adopt if things seem chill but be prepared to rehome one if needed.
>>
>>2401303
This is good advice

And I'd only be worried about the breed if there was pit in it but it doesn't sound like it so you should be good
>>
>>2401303
>>2401305
the cat as pictured here
>>2401261
is a right little shit, meows all the time, hates being stroked now unless you catch him in a relaxed mood (fucker will actually limbo away from you to avoid being stroked whereas when he was a kitten he wouldn't leave me alone) and constantly gets into scraps with the local cats despite being a year old and tiny

Anyway i'm hoping my friend can bring it over tomorrow so I can check it out. Only thing i'm slightly worried about is that my friend is a from a bit of a rough area so the guy who used to own the dog probs got it because it's a big dog BUT if he's giving it away for free and said he wants it to go to a good home i'm sure it can't be a bad dog. People who would own a mean dog would probs get rid of it in another way if they didn't want it, no?
>>
>>2401303
This. Keep the dog on a leash and see what happens.

In general you should NEVER EVER leave a dog alone with a cat, regardlesss how much you trust said dog. So you'll either need to crate the dog or give him his own room.
>>
>>2401338
the cat has his own room anyway, he has a scratch post and a bed he dragged onto the landing and he only ever sleeps there so I don't think the two will end up having a scrap

mainly worried about how it'll react to humans as both of it's breeds are big and brave so combining the two may be a bad idea, it's already fucking huge at 6 months and looks mean but when I saw the pic of it, it looked kinda sad

i'll post some pics when I hang out with it tomorrow
>>
>>2401338
>>2401341
Don't listen to this nooblette. You should be able to gauge how the cat and dog get along and judge from there whether they can be kept together. Unless it's a violent dog (or a breed associated w/ violent behavior) it should be fine. Just keep them together when you are home so you can intervene, they may be hostile to each other at first, but once they get used to each other you should be able to leave them alone.
As other anons have said, get to know the dog before you choose to adopt it. Get info from the owner if possible. If it seems like it might not be a good fit, check out shelters.
>>
>>2401349
ok thanks
like I said though, i'm not too worried about the cat as the cat has it's head screwed on and I wouldn't really bring the two into contact anyway, was mainly wondering if anyone could tell me if the dog's mix (american bull dog x staffy) is a dangerous one but it looks like it should be ok

how are american bulldogs/staffys when pure?
>>
>>2401249
Definitely have your friend bring the dog over for an introduction, just to see if there are any immediate signs of aggression. If things go well and you do decide to keep the dog then check these links out, they're some of the many guides online to introducing dogs and cats to one another:
https://www.americanhumane.org/fact-sheet/introducing-dogs-to-cats/
http://bestfriends.org/resources/how-introduce-dog-cat

Assuming you raise and train the dog correctly I wouldn't be overly concerned about aggression, if there's a PetSmart in your town they've probably got a doggy daycare and/or training classes which can be great for socialization.

Also, "constantly gets into scraps with the local cats" makes me think your cats in both indoor and outdoor? There are a multitude of reasons as to why you should bring him inside permanently, a lot of them revolving around his, yours and your new dog's health (health = vet bills which aren't cheap). Here are some links on bringing an outdoor cat inside to help:
https://www.petfinder.com/cats/cat-care/transitioning-outdoor-cat/
http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/bringing_outside_cat_indoors.html?credit=web
>>
>>2401406
I live in the UK where we have no real wildlife in the city other than cats n dogs so most cats such as mine do their own thing but I bring him in at night because he's still small

As for the dog classes, they sound cool. There's a vet 30 secs up the road from me so i'll pop by and ask if they do any stuff like that here, I live in London so i'm sure they do
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.