[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are some wild birds just naturally tamed? >be me >smoking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: 20150211_211714.jpg (1MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20150211_211714.jpg
1MB, 2322x4128px
are some wild birds just naturally tamed?
>be me
>smoking on a porch
>woodpecker flies on the table
>start calling him just for fun
>bird jumps on my neck almost immediately

this happened 3 days ago he was emotionally attached to me from the first second he saw me. he constantly fallows me and he never leaves the area around the house. this is kind of problematic because i also have a cat i actually had to put the bird in a cage a few times because i was scared he will chill aimlessly on the porch while im not around since he does not show any sings of fear at all.

did anyone ever saw this kind of bird behavior?
what would be the best thing to do?

pic related its my nigga
>>
>>2397031
he's going to peck your head open to eat your brain
>>
Dunno about tame, but certainly theres types that are more easy going with human contact. Tfw blackbirds and robins eating from palm whenever i visit my grandparents.
>>
File: 20170601_161847.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170601_161847.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>2397035
he dose peck my head quite a bit in a playful way. i still find it sketchy tho since he keeps poking in the ears and the nose witch feels uncomfortable af to me.

>>2397046
this is more then easy going with humans tho. its like he volunteered him self to be my pet bird. i find it mind-boggling that a random bird would act this way.

im actually trying to "teach" him to be on my window rather then the porch but it seems he doesnt give a fuck / has trouble flying to the window
>>
File: woodpeckers.jpg (77KB, 640x437px) Image search: [Google]
woodpeckers.jpg
77KB, 640x437px
>>2397031
I've seen loads of tame sparrows, pigeons, crows, blackbirds and such but never a (middle spotted?) woodpecker. But I guess these birds are quite common too and not particularly afraid of urban areas.
Take good care of him anon.
>>
Younger birds tend to be more open to experience/accepting of human contact. Older birds tend to keep away/establish more territoriality as they get older.
>>
>>2397031
We have some greater spotted woodpeckers that will sit and eat right next to us, but will always fly off if me make much noise or move too much. You're very lucky anon, take good care of him/her!
>>
Probably pecking bugs out of your head. Check for lice
>>
>>2397061
so he will grow out of this phase?
im asking this because im worried that i might spoil him to the point where he will be unable to live on his own.

>>2397155
what do you feed them with? i was giving him wet cat food since he woude eat it out of my cats bowl anyways. i went to the store today and bought bunch of those generic wild bird foods you use in winter but he doesnt seem that interested in them compered to the cat food.
>>
>>2397168
He might like suet, or anything fatty/meaty
>>
>>2397170
that sounds pretty convenient. it just so happens that i took a crippled bird to my house not too long ago in attempt to nurse it back to health. i had to consistently buy live maggots in a pet store and it was honestly not something i liked to deal with.

do you know if feeding a bird has any significant impact on their ability to hunt food in the wild?
>>
File: kcique.jpg (81KB, 1005x680px) Image search: [Google]
kcique.jpg
81KB, 1005x680px
>>2397031
wodpeckers (and other species) have been coming to my window lately.
i recorded this one yesterdaday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl8WBCuzrJA
>>
>>2397031
>>2397190
although i can only get like, 5 feet away.
If i get closer, they'll fly away
>>
>>2397190
>>2397191
thats a really triply color combination.
when i see "my bird" i just start to make random ass sounds and he will sooner or later fly towards me and attempt to latch himself on my shirt.
>>
>>2397193
yeah both species are similar and have pretty colors..

ur very lucky anon, like this other anon said >>2397155
from the burbs that perch on my window, i find these are the most elusive ones

whats its name, btw? ;)
>>
>>2397200
>inbf4 Woody
>>
>>2397200
lil koki
(koki is one of those generic names everyone uses for a pet parrot in my country)
>>
I'm not sure it's because they may have been young, but multiple species of woodpeckers I've come in contact were not bothered by humans right next to them. Forgot what species exactly but some huge woodpecker perched right next to me on my porch to hammer at it a little and flew off.

Young birds usually don't care either.
>>
File: thefckamireading.jpg (12KB, 298x169px) Image search: [Google]
thefckamireading.jpg
12KB, 298x169px
>>2397031
> 3 days ago
> 20150211_211714.jpg
> 2015
>>
File: P6030276.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
P6030276.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
>>2397235
yeha your probably right his just really young.
at first i tough that he had to be domesticated by someone and the bird escaped him or something along those lines but who the fuck would have a woodpecker as a pet?

>>2397275
i probably havent connected the phone to the internet at that point and the date was not correct yet
>>
>>2397430
nice pic OP,
thats crazy

also
>reminder people has chickens, squirrels, pigs, etc as pets.
why not a woodpecker
>>
I'm very jelly OP, you're a lucky dude
>>
>>2397031
>cat problems with wild birds
>solution is to put bird in a cage instead of the cat
>>
File: Untitled.png (37KB, 430x313px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
37KB, 430x313px
>>2397557
God damn it skynet.
>>
He/she wants to mate with you
>>
>>2397557
this.
You cant kidnap a wild bird OP, not cool

Also this >>2397533
>>
>>2397031
Does he visit you everyday?
Feed him small insects n post result pls
>>
>>2397177
There's a reason why it's cruel to feed wild animals, anon.
If you're going to feed it, methinks you go all the way and make it your pet.
>>
>>2398766
>methinks
Kill yourself
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.