[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, new to the board. I recently got the idea to get a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: dogs.jpg (172KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
dogs.jpg
172KB, 960x960px
Hey /an/, new to the board. I recently got the idea to get a dog. I'm starting a new full-time job with a 45 minute commute in about 2 weeks so right now is not realistic, but I will be moving closer (~10 minute commute) this fall. That should give me plenty of time to really think it through.

I'd like to get a puppy or young-ish dog. I guess I'm just trying to get some advice on realistic expectations. I'm looking for a dog I can walk maybe 3 or 4 times a day, 30 minutes each, with a more intense exercise (30-45 minute run or something) once or twice a week. I'd really like to get maybe a black lab or cattle dog or a mix but I'm pretty inexperienced with this and not sure if the lifestyle I just described would work with one of these breeds. I definitely don't want a tiny dog but don't want an enormous dog either. I guess I'm just looking for some ideas about breeds and dog age and seeing if what I'm describing is realistic - walk before work, during lunch break, after work and another later at night, of course with the option of more active weekends. I probably will be raising him on my own, no one that I know lives near me that would be able to take him for walks (unless I paid someone to do it). Can anyone provide some guidance? I'm guessing a complete puppy that still needs to be potty trained is out of the question, but how young could I realistically go?

Pic kind of related, my friend's dog on the left, love the look of him.
>>
>>2395411
No younger than 8 weeks, get a German Shepherd or an Australian Shepherd, both of which are intelligent and top quality dogs for almost anyone with australian shepherds being not too big. 30 minutes 3-4 times a day is quite a bit but there's a lot of active breeds. I'd even suggest a husky with that amount of activity but your climate and experience would matter
>>
>>2395423
Just to clarify - I'm not the most active person, but I'd be fine with 30 mins 3-4 times a day (I do run on weekends and I'm all around fit). Less exercise is honestly kind of better, but I understand that a dog is not a house plant so I'm fully willing to dedicate that type of time to going outside with it. I personally love Australian shepherds, my family had two for about a week each before sending them back to the shelter because they were just too active/crazy for them... they possibly had aggression problems already from their past life, but either way I used to love running with them for the short time that we had them (fuck you mom, you didn't even try).

My biggest concern is them staying at home for 4 hours at a time while I'm at work and them getting lonely/feeling neglected.
>>
May not want a young puppy because they can only hold their bladder 1 hour for every month they are in age, and stops areoun 8 to 10 months. You could have someone watch him while at work, bring him to daycare or take a week or so off. But it may confuse them as they will get used to pissing and shitting indoors. Also read up on training BEFORE you get a dog. https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup does a lot with pups

One thing is to really do your research on the breeds and more so on the breeders. Buying from a reputable breeder will cost more than a BYB but it will save you money in the long run and a lot of heart break. I know looks can be tempting but try not to pick a dog on looks alone. It usually does not end well. Honestly a dog breeder worth their salt will be able to tell you more about the breed than anyone here can, they will be able to tell you if it's a good fit or not and will point you towards the right direction if it doesn't work out.
>>
>>2395430
Yep, that's exactly why I was thinking a puppy wouldn't be a good idea. A year or so seems like a good middle road. I guess my only question would be... this is gonna sound stupid... is it going to miss it's "old life"? Sounds even stupider now that I typed it out but I would just feel like it would look at me like a foster parent... "you're not my dad!" Now it sounds even stupider. But seriously, anyone have experience with this?

And thanks for the advice. I'm definitely not going to get a dog on looks alone and I will be doing a lot of research about the breed's temperament, health problems, etc. but at the same time, if I can't find a dog that I like the look of, I probably just won't get a dog at all - I know dogs can live like 15+ years so I'm looking for a good fit in all aspects because I'm really looking for a dog to keep until it dies.
>>
Also, not sure if it matters. I make a good living and like somewhat roomy living places. Currently living in a 1050 sqft apartment and really can't see myself living in something less than 900 sqft or so.
>>
>>2395428
>I'm not the most active person

Do not get a cattle dog.
Both for this reason and that they are sort of harsh if you don't know what you're doing. The energy/drive can reinforce negative behaviors way more intensely, making the behaviors more intense and even more frustrating to deal with (and, dangerous in the right circumstances).

Aussie shepherds and labs are pretty forgiving dogs.

Also everyone saying a puppy is a bad idea unless you can basically take maternity leave to make sure it's not peeing in the house are dumb.

Confine dog to exercise pen in house. Place potty area. Place crate as dog's "nesting" area, and where you may actually confine them with the intention of them NOT soiling THAT area. When you are home (including sleep, which you can wake up during for potty training, unlike work) you can work on confining the puppy to its no-soil area for longer and longer periods of time between play/attention sessions (which should include multiple potty trips outside even if the pup doesn't go).
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.