[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't /an/ believe Temple Grandin's hypothesis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2719.jpg (70KB, 632x389px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2719.jpg
70KB, 632x389px
Why doesn't /an/ believe Temple Grandin's hypothesis that all animals are inherently autistic?
>>
File: 1435010993313.gif (3MB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1435010993313.gif
3MB, 384x288px
I have an alternative theory that all animals have asperger's syndrome
>>
I have a hypothesis that all white people are autistic.

Is this true?
>>
of course animals will be autistic in human fucking psychology system what the fuck. Like they are not even aware of themselves. Like even humans are not aware of themselves till 10-25.
>>
>>2393547
Reminder that Temple Grandin isn't autistic, she's a psychopath.
>>
>>2393547
Because I've seen perfectly normal dogs who behave normally with other dogs, and I've seen sperg dogs that are scared to socially interact with other dogs. Dogs can be diagnosed with autism so it doesn't make sense to assume every single animal has autism. /an/ons for sure have autism but not animals.
>>
>>2393547
can we take a moment to appreciate how ugly Temple is?
>>
>>2393547
Autism is a human issue only.
>>
>>2393762
Anything to support that? I remember reading one of her books and getting a bit of a bad vibe from it but it's been too long since I've read it. She justifies a lot of aspects of factory farming if I recall even though she understands the emotional states the animals are going through.
>>
>>2393762
Tell me more.
>>
is that a man or a woman

i cant tell at all
>>
It's not "autism" so much as the anxiety comorbid with most ASD cases. Temple had generalized anxiety. Many herd and prey animals exhibit what would be identified in humans as anxious response.
>>
>>2393547
I'm mildly autistic and I got a zoology degree at CSU. I have spent some time listening to Dr. Grandin's lecture and have probably read more of her actual work than anyone else on /an/.

Briefly, the problem isn't that animals are autistic, but that autistic people are more animal.

>>2393762
>Temple Grandin isn't autistic, she's a psychopath.
"Psychopath" isn't a diagnosis anymore.
if it were most autistic people would fall into it.
>>
>>2393553
so just different autism?
>>
This is a bad thread and it doesn't belong here.
Thanks for making our unemployment rate 50% with rumors of incompetence you fucking faggots.
>>
>>2393920
Very high functioning autism
>>
I'm autistic. The only way I can talk to anybody is online, like talking to a computer, it seems ok.
People seem weird to me, they say it's social cues like body language and tone of voice but it seems like telepathy. I try to copy but people think I hate them or am mocking them. Anxiety makes me run away after a few minutes.

I don't think animals are autistic. Maybe my sister's dog is autistic, it has anxiety and doesn't understand anything people or other dogs do. Other animals don't focus too much on minutiae and have social cues they understand better than people understand each other.

I have more to say but I have a subroutine that says when I talk too much.
>>
File: 1477145763345.png (523KB, 722x739px) Image search: [Google]
1477145763345.png
523KB, 722x739px
>>2394025
>unironically being autistic
>>
>>2393553
That's simply the flehmen response. Only a retard would think this is autism/Asperger's.
>>
>>2393897
>"Psychopath" isn't a diagnosis anymore.

Yes it is. You're thinking of "sociopath", which is indeed not a diagnosis anymore. It is however still a fancy way of calling someone a dick.
>>
I think japanese might be socially autistic. They carefully categorize their everything. They think each person must be a certain type of person. They take comfort in being a certain type of person because they have clear rules to follow in social interaction. I am like this, so this is what I do.
Their culture has very high contextuality. They don't have to articulate what they mean when they have a conversation. They mostly form groups of people with identical interests and become very engrossed with particularities.
Japanese are more autistic as a group than animals I think.
>>
>>2394075
It's called living in a collectivist culture. Seeing this as some sort of "pattern" you identify with means you are autistic beyond help.
>>
>>2393770
Isn't that just how the dogs are raised? when you don't expose a growing puppy to other (adult) dogs, there's a good chance it's going to be afraid of interaacting with other dogs
>>
>>2394049

psychopath, sociopath, and anti social personality disorder are all terms for the same profile of symptoms. The name changed over the years but the actual problem did not.

If you're interested to know the history of the disorder and what it has entailed throughout the years, the gold standard book is Mask of Sanity by Dr. Hervey Cleckley. It has been updated from the original 1941 publishing date up to ~1980. Substantive definition of the disorder in the form of ASPD is not particularly different from the old, so this book is a worthwhile read. It is primarily case studies of Cleckley's patients.
>>
>>2394049
>Yes it is. You're thinking of "sociopath", which is indeed not a diagnosis anymore
neither one exists.

it is ASPD and has been for longer than you've been alive.

back when "psychopath" was still a thing, autistic people were called "autistic psychopaths."
>>
>>2393897
>>2393884
I appreciate your input.
>>
>>2393553
>how can you say you love her if you can't even eat her poop
>>
>>2393553
Aspergers is now simply part of the Autism spectrem as per the DSM V
>>
>>2394222
ASPD is nothing more than a tool for the criminal justice system to label inmates. Because it's focused on whether or not you like to commit crime as opposed to how callous-unemotionative you truly are, it's not a perfect fit with psychopathy. In fact, the DSM-V allowed the moniker "with psychopathic traits" to be applied to ASPD if certain criteria were met in its revision of Axis II disorders.
>>
>>2393819
>>2393827
Understanding emotions is easy; for animal or human emotions. An autistic person doesn't understand emotions easily. A smart psychopath understands emotions easily, but does not see them as normal people do. For instance the stuff that Temple mentions doing is to ensure faster processing of cattle. Understanding the emotional state of the cattle in order to achieve this end and being proud of doing it is psychopathic. Especially, when she is extremely proud of this feat. She's hiding behind a misdiagnosis.
>>
>>2394547
I don't know may psychopaths who are afraid of not eating food with a jello like consistency or use squeeze machines but I'll take your word for it man.
>>
>>2393547

Because Temple Grandin is an aspie.
>>
>>2393734
>Like even humans are not aware of themselves till 10-25
More like 4-5
>>
>>2394035
The image was unrelated to the post, but thanks for the information that everybody on this board already knows cunt
>>
Of course they are, animals are more natural than us, and autism is simply the natural state of mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IHaE-TXbZQ
>>
I provide behavior therapy and hear about her from stakeholders. she's a fucking snake oil saleswoman who preys on the hopes of parents of autistic kids. I'm sure folks in veterinary behavior have similar opinions about her animal behavior work.
>>
>>2394790
>didn't know about the flehmen response
>on full damage control
kekekekek
>>
>be asthmatic
>"hey guys, asthmatics are elites because we couldn't waste time being dumb jocks and instead sat in caves thinking of shit, that's why asthmatics are still around and weren't naturally selected against"

Seems like a weak justification for why your weakness/negative trait is "actually positive".
>>
>>2393734
A lot of animals are aware of themselves.
>>
>>2394795
>I wasn't wrong... you, you thought it was autistic behavior!

oh good, this is nice
>>
>>2394035
googled this and now I know the reason behind will smith
>inhales through teeth
lmao
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.