[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plan on moving out of my parents house soon and pets arent allowed.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_4367.jpg (121KB, 1132x856px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4367.jpg
121KB, 1132x856px
Plan on moving out of my parents house soon and pets arent allowed. Pretty sure an aquarium is Oke though. I was thinking about getting some crabs. They seen Fun and i can make a Nice tank for them. Anyone experience with crabs?
>>
File: IMG_4368.jpg (57KB, 648x486px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4368.jpg
57KB, 648x486px
Was thinking about getting a tank like pic related. Also What species is best?
>>
This board is nor very active. Never had a crab before, how expensive can one of those tanks be?
>>
File: Red-claw-crab-12.jpg (890KB, 1280x861px) Image search: [Google]
Red-claw-crab-12.jpg
890KB, 1280x861px
>>2393165
I'm assuming you don't want a hermit crab, but if you do, do your research. They require more involved care than a lot of people think, and most people actually treat theirs like shit through sheer ignorance.

For beginners, the red claw crab is a good alternative. Do note that it is a brackish species. A lot of places and guides will tell you they are freshwater and they can survive in it, but really do a lot better in brackish conditions. There's also the common myth that they can be a good fit for a community tank, but they'll kill fish easily. Best to keep them on their own.
>>
File: IMG_4370.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4370.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>2393195
Thats beautiful, right now i have been looking at Halloween crabs (pic related) which are land crabs. I guess i like an aquatic species more because of the tank possiblities. How would one create brakish water.
>>
File: kekaroos.jpg (6KB, 211x239px) Image search: [Google]
kekaroos.jpg
6KB, 211x239px
>>2393158
Ask /b/ if they've got any experience with crabs hyuck hyuck hyuck
>>
>Thinks aquariums are fine if pets aren't.
Do you know why landlords do not allow pets?

Property damage.

Do you know what happens when some idiot fucks up their tank, spills all the water, or even worse, puts it on a poorly supported area on an upper story?
>>
>>2393400
>poorly supported area on an upper story?
those don't exist anymore.
your floor is built to support refrigerators, hot tubs, Jacuzzi bath tubs, waterbeds. It can easily support a several-hundred gallon aquarium full of rock and water. Even on the upper floors. Upper and lower floors are built exactly the same.

unless you live in Croatia or somewhere with no building codes and cardboard buildings.
>>
>>2393400
If it's not prohibited in the lease, then it's allowed. Most of the time, there's usually a limit on larger aquariums only anyway.
>>
>>2393406
>It can easily support a several-hundred gallon aquarium full of rock and water.
Careful not to fall for it guys.
>>
>>2393408
if you live in the US and your floor is built to code you can park fucking trucks on it. The floor is rated to a certain amount of weight spread over the entire span of the thing. The design of our floors spreads the weight out.

so if you've got an upper floor rated for say, 30,000 lbs and you stick a 1,000 lb tank on it you've got AT LEAST 29,000 lbs to go before it's in any danger of breaking.

in reality they're designed to be much stronger than they're rated. We over-engineer and over-build just in case.
>>
>>2393406
Even so, water damage is a terribly expensive thing to deal with. Water ruins wood, carpet, electronics, furniture, etc.
>>
>>2393416
yep, that's the real problem landlords have.

mold and drywall damage.
it just sounds more dramatic if we say the floor might break. Aquariums break way more often than floors do though. And even that's really fucking rare.
>>
>>2393422
You're right, but I still don't get the logic of >>2393400
If anon's lease says nothing about aquariums or heavy objects, then they're allowed.
There's lots of things that could potentially fuck up an apartment that some landlords still allow and pets being banned doesn't automatically mean the landlord has banned aquariums too.
>>
hey fish and crabs are still pets i don't know why you guys think they aren't classified as pets
>>
>>2393427
Because at least in the US when people talk about pets not being allowed, they usually only mean dogs and cats.
It's pretty standard for aquariums and anything kept in a cage like a hamster or bird to not count.
Of course, the safest thing is to ask explicitly and get written permission for any animal and also to make sure you have renters insurance.
>>
>>2393158
I have hermit crabs if that's what you're thinkin of going for. I'd advise against getting strawberry hermit crabs
>>
Just make sure you arent moving in near any japanese history buffs
>>
>>2393427
In the US, fish and crabs are ornaments, not pets.
>>
>>2393677
speak for yourself man
>>
>>2393695
I'm speaking for the masses.
>>
>>2393158
I had some Thai micro crabs before. Fully aquatic, true freshwater, and very, very small. Even a 2.5 gallon tank would be large enough for them given good water quality, but five or ten is better.
Pretty easy to care for, but they hide a lot.
>>
>>2393400
Most of the time, the pet policy literally only applies cats, dogs, and sometimes birds (aka the pets that don't shut up and will annoy other tenants)

Aquariums tend to fall under high damage furniture such as a water bed, which is a completely different policy. But most of the time, landlords almost never account for people keeping aquariums so it always depends on what the landlord decides when thrown the question. Some allow them only with renter's insurance along with it or have limits to how big you can go, or refuse if they're paranoid
>>
Just ask your landlord and do lots of research. Don't know about crabs, but fishtanks are also fucking expensive. I've put at least 200-300 dollars into my 40g tank so far and I haven't even bought fish yet. Shit adds up, be sure you're ready for all the expenses that come with it. Crabs like that are also probably hard to find.
>>
>>2394430
>I've put at least 200-300 dollars into my 40g tank so far
Pic of setup, I want to laugh at you.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.