[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/plant/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 332
Thread images: 129

File: Fredclarkeara After Dark 2.jpg (292KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Fredclarkeara After Dark 2.jpg
292KB, 600x600px
The Plant General - Orchids dindu nuffin Edition

Welcome to /plant/, the magical green place on this blue board.

/Plant/ is for the discussion of plants (obviously). Horticulturists, hobbyists and botanists welcome! Questions about plants? Want to show off your two inch dick-I mean plant? Maybe you want to start growing something new and exciting? Well come on over to /plant/!

ITT: depressing tales from normie plant retail, comfy garden pics and delightful lowland Nepenthes phoneposting.

Introducing a new basic caresheet with every thread: Catasetum/Clowesia/Mormodes orchids edition:
>decent indirect light
>warm temperatures (24-27c) with a nice dip at night
>good humidity and normal orchid watering during growing season
>regular fertilisation also
>when leaves start to yellow and die off, STOP WATERING
>if large/old enough, flower spikes will gradually push through and form during the very dry winter dormancy period
>resume watering once leaf/root growth starts again

For our carnivorous plant newbies:
Approved forums:
Terraforums.com
flytrapcare.com
CPUKforum.com

Good place(s) for newbie carnivorous plant growers:
sarracenia.com
nepenthesaroundthehouse.com

Previous thread: >>2386075
>>
File: Birb7.jpg (649KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Birb7.jpg
649KB, 2560x1440px
My new bird plant is doing well.
>find dove making nest in plant
>remove nest
>next day find egg in plant
>put nest in dead plant from last year
>put egg in nest
>replace healthy plant with dead plant/nest/egg
>instant bird plant
>>
Taking care of interior plant during a heat wave ?

Any tips ? I've heard pulverising water on the leafs may be a solution.
>>
>>2392326
This.
My plants are dying with all leaves hanging vertically...
>>
File: IMG_20170528_092539~01.jpg (995KB, 1440x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170528_092539~01.jpg
995KB, 1440x1920px
Is it possible to ID this plant without it blooming? I was told it's Camellia japonica.
>>
>>2392344
>super green
>big
I don't know but it's beautiful and seem to be in a really good health.
>>
>>2392326
>>2392340
Keep humidity high by spraying them with water or put them in the coolest place in your house, no matter if there's light there or not (most plants can go a couple of days without light). Don't do both at the same time or you'll get mold.
>>
>>2392344
Azalea?
>>
>>2392397
I just gave them a lot of water and two fans, they are already better.
But they would scream and cry if they could.
>>
>>2392403
For good reason. Luckily it'll be cooler again from Tuesday onwards.
>>
>>2392403
Why not cool them down with an ice cold Coca-Cola at your nearest McDonald's® restaraunt?
>>
Why is stratifying tree seeds so hard
>>
>>2392408
>Tuesday
I've seen that on wttr.
It has survived today it will survive tomorrow.
>>2392409
>Coca-Cola
Uh what?
>>
>>2392409
>Not watering your plants with Brawndo
What the heck is wrong with you?
>>
File: Balls of Wood.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Balls of Wood.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Ok /an/ I was walking in the wooded area near my house and we found the biggest tree we could to chill by.

On the tree trunk about 4 feet high was pic related. It was bulging out of the tree like a boil or something. I had no idea what the fuck it was so I stuck my knife at the edges of it and it plopped out.

My money says it's a fungus or something. My gf said it was a tumor or something of the like. The light brown was a light flesh like color, like freshly chopped wood.

The indent this had looked like it was a part of the tree itself.

Anyone know what the hell this is?
>>
>>2392409
Everyone knows you should refresh them with RC
>>
>>2392443
One of these I guess?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

And SHIT man, what happened to your fingers? Looks like frostbite or burns or something
>>
>>2392454
Thanks for the ID anon.

Nah I didn't get burned or anything. I whittle so my fingers are always fucked up.
>>
>>2392344
Yes, that is a Cemellia but the exact variety is anybody's guess
>>
File: IMG_0482.jpg (592KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0482.jpg
592KB, 750x1000px
Can I get an ID on these big tall bastards growing in my yard?
>>
File: IMG_0478.jpg (489KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0478.jpg
489KB, 750x1000px
>>2392551
They started growing on their own a few weeks ago and I thought it was just some sort of tall grass but they ended up sprouting some really gorgeous flowers
>>
File: IMG_0451.jpg (292KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0451.jpg
292KB, 750x1000px
>>2392551
>>2392553
>>
>>2392551
Gladiolus
>>
>>2392554
Gorgeous. My geranium is about to flower. I lost a stalk due to my own negligence over the winter, but it grew another one so we're golden again.
>>
File: IMG-20170510-WA0020.jpg (156KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170510-WA0020.jpg
156KB, 1280x720px
>>2392281
oh boi this is my jam, the pic (srry for the inferior quality) is a catasetum fimbriatum, now is fall here so is white and leafless.
Also in the photo the leaf of a lycaste, two oncidiums miniature and a couple of dendrobium moschatum.
>>
>>2392590
This is a very weird garden.
>>
>>2392350
Thanks. This house was built in the 1910s and most of the plants are at least 20 years old. It's pretty nice.

>>2392402
I don't remember exactly what the flowers looked like, but they weren't right for it to be an azalea.

>>2392468
Cool, thanks. If I make tea from it will I die?
I also have a jasmine plant, so I was thinking of trying to do some homemade jasmine tea.
>>
Need an opinion, do you think succulents could stay outside permanently in northern Colorado?
>>
Can I get some recommendations for New England plants? Indoor or outside, vastly prefer non-toxic to cats or dogs. They aren't known plant eaters but just in case. I'm also a suffer for blue/purple/dark red ones but any store that sells plants around my area are all shit dye jobs.
>>
>>2392551
Ginger?
>>
File: IMG-20170510-WA0034.jpg (158KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170510-WA0034.jpg
158KB, 1280x720px
>>2392604

im that anon, how come? those are pretty standard orchids.
In this pic you see cattleya forbesii in the midle, a forest of dendrobium nobilis, a few red steem epidendrum, and a very wide leaf from a cattleya warscewiczii
>>
>>2392590
Does the catasetum naturally whiten up like that every dormant period?
Are they difficult to grow?
>>
File: 1479753090210.gif (2MB, 250x158px) Image search: [Google]
1479753090210.gif
2MB, 250x158px
>>2392590
>>2392695
Some real tasty shit there man
>>
File: IMG-20170510-WA0016 (1).jpg (131KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170510-WA0016 (1).jpg
131KB, 720x1280px
>>2392707

thank you dude!, i also grow succulents and a few natives(im from argentina) but orchids are by far my favourites.
This is a C. Cernua or miniature cattleya, the pseudobulbs are 1 cm longuer and a big leaf reaches 1,2/1,3 cms.
>>
>>2392590
>>2392717
Oh man, nice. Someone here that knows his shit about these.

I've been looking for an orchid that might do well on a south facing window if (I shade it) and after seeing the OP pic and absolutely loving that orchid I did some research and found out it could work. Is that true? And is there any other advice you could give me that's not in the caresheets I've found so far?
>>
File: 1485734789054.jpg (68KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1485734789054.jpg
68KB, 633x758px
>take cuttings
>THEY FUCKING MOLD
>>
>>2392563
thanks

>>2392572
nice. I'm definitely gonna tend to these though they seem really easy to take care of. I've just been watering them once a day and they grow and bloom like crazy.
>>
File: IMG-20170510-WA0010.jpg (96KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170510-WA0010.jpg
96KB, 720x1280px
>>2392721

yeah i think it could work, but also consider plants like miltonia/miltassia or a phallenopsis, and as a side note, the dendrobium is an incredibly adaptative plant, it was the first orchid i ever owned and it is one of the most gratifying orchids ever, pic is a D. moschatum, right know the plant consists in 15 steems of 1,4 meters.
And for the advices i have to tell you that in got my catasetum just a couple of weeks ago, and since is fall here i didnt see any grow nor change, i have it in a mixture of bark, dried moss and coal and its seem to be doing fine, but to mount it in a piece of wood with bark its acctually a beter idea, I mix resaca (its hummus and pieces of bark, i dont know how its named in english) with dried moss and tie that fist to the bark side of the piece, and after that i tie the orchid over that bed of moss. You can do the same with live moss instead of the mix and it works amazing.
>>
>>2392632
those rubber ones will. i picked one up the other day thinking it was real
>>2392642
you have to be the guy that guessed azalea
>>
>>2392790
>looks like azalea bush
>orange flowers
>same flower archetype
>same bush height and appearance
>guess azalea

The fuck did I do to you? Get out. I didn't make a post saying ginger.
>>
>>2392281
hi /plant/ i come from the near board of /aq/ I have made a small flower box for my apartment patio, I planted some bell pepper and wild flower seeds in it and filed it with miracle grow dirt. I noticed today there are a few small sprouts. Will this be enough room to grow full bell peppers?
>>
>>2392837
You need to start over dude.
Unless you have 20-25 inch deep dirt, you're not going to manage.
And we don't use miracle gro here. ESPECIALLY NOT FOR FOOD. Also your plants will not get enough light in any window that isn't facing south, because they're peppers. You put them in the garden and they get eaten too, consider a plant pot with a cage shoved down into it.

Use raw, unmodified dirt that's just rotted down mulch. I can't tell you how bad your vegetables are going to taste and how much extra watering and plant flushing, disease and rot that shit attracts.

I'm gentle on no one, you need to grow your food organically.

Did you know that there are people on earth that actually believe that plants won't grow in unmodified dirt from outside, without adding chemical fertilizer or god forbid poop?
Please don't be that guy. You'll get everything you ask answered here.
>>
>>2392847
ok well i'll just grow the wildflowers in there for the bees, but the bell peppers are already sprouting so what do. Also the reason i mentioned /aq/ was that i used my aquariums water change water to feed the plants, maybe the nitrates will help?
>>
File: IMG_20170528_215321.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170528_215321.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
Late Mother's Day present. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to grow in some.
>>
>>2392860
Maybe, try making hot water come out of your tap and use that, it's always best to get them used to it early. Cold faucet water is basically 5-6% bleach, but using hot water, your water heater will have already boiled the chlorine off.

Go to the dollar store, bags of unmodified dirt are $1/8lbs here, 2 cubic feet. A large pot will easily take 3 of them, but you can put more than one plant in.

I would throw them away because they touched that poison, but if you want, scoop them out and grow them in seed trays until the roots fill it up. If you drop the dirt off the sprout, it dies, it's too small for a transplant but holy fuck miracle gro is so bad.

Soil mold, leaf rot, leaf fungi, fruit rots on the vine constantly, insects are attracted in droves to miracle gro plants (especially huge insects), stunted, crappy growth that ends in 5ft tall plants with 2 inch deep roots, extreme weather risks due to weakened plant, you have to cover every plant with buckets when wind is over 5mph, extremely bad tasting fruit (chemicals), constant slug and potato bug removal, droopy/overfertilized plants that can cave in and die at ANY point within 4 hours flat during the growing season.
Plants require ten times as much care as organics because of the stunting, tomatoes and peppers root to the bottom before they start making leaves and branches, and they grow stronger stalks as the wind blows and such. Miracle gro completely skips this, slows rooting MAJORLY and leaves you absolutely fucked if you work or leave the house. You have to babysit your miracle shit plants 24h and go running like a fool with buckets and trashcans if you hear thunder or wind.

Horrifying year I had with that shit. And all that fucking work turned out the WORST peppers and tomatoes I ever had in my life. Tasted like soap and raw dirt.
I pot my tomatoes and peppers now and grow organically. Peppers are insanely slow, but I don't give a shit.
>>
>>2392879
i dont understand its just dirt how can it be poison?
>>
>>2392879
>Cold faucet water is basically 5-6% bleach

I don't know where you live but in the United States bleach is not used in tap water. Perhaps you are thinking of chlorine or chloramine?
>>
>>2392884
>>2392890
>>2392860
Please just ignore him, he's obviously unhinged and want's attention.
If you want to know whether there's enough room for the plants to grow you should post a photograph.
>>
>>2392890
Replying to myself here, but apparently sodium hypochloride is used in addition to calcium hypochloride, so I was wrong. However the safe PPM was set at 4, which is way, way below 5-6%. If your water is 5-6% bleach you would die. That is as strong as the bleach you buy in the store to wash your clothes.

>>2392894
Okay, but I'm still posting this for integrity's sake as I was wrong.
>>
>>2392884
Well, think about it. If you were a root and you didn't have to go ANYWHERE to get nutrients, would you continue to dig downwards?
This overabundance creates extremely weak plants that will break from one or two pieces of fruit growing. The caging, tangling, wiring and taming is fucking horrifying. Massive vegetables on an extremely weak dinky plant with no more than 2 inch deep roots fully grown? Trust me, go for organic dirt.

The problems miracle gro causes are fucking hellish when you compare it to organic growing and simple slug and potato bug removal. You lose a lot of shit to them, but at least you can pot up half your vegetables and have almost no pest problems inside. I'm mainly letting them eat up my broccoli while my green beans and (hopefully) carrots sneak past them, but they're getting everything outside honestly.
>>
>>2392895
Hypochlorite* not hypochloride

I am tired.
>>
>>2392894
i dont have a photograph, but i can estimate the dimensions for you. about 8inches high, 3 feet long and about 7 inches wide, its not alot of room.
>>
>>2392894
You're a moron and should leave before you create more conflict. "Small planter" does not meet the 20 inch deep rooting requirements of a pepper plant. Miracle gro ruins plants.

You're whining about facts. A box made the proper size for 1 pepper would have to be nailed to the side of the house and dry weight with dirt would put it over 20lbs. Soaked, 25-30lbs. The logistics of hanging a window planter that will soak rain up til it's 30lbs PER pepper plant are out of the question, he said several plants too.

I think you just want to start internet arguments, you fucking baby. Leave.
>>
>>2392902
Move the peppers, leave the flowers.
>>
>>2392903
To be fair you think tapwater has the same concentration of sodium hypochlorite as laundry bleach. You're not exactly the paragon of factual arguments over there.
>>
>>2392905
well.... i dont really have much else place to put them. I have some of those 5 gallon water dispenser things. could i plant it in that?
>>
>>2392906
I already said I call it bleach water because it smells like bleach.

>>2392907
Yes, saw it down to about 20-24 inches tall. Drill at least 15 holes on the bottom, large ones. Don't drill in the area that touches ground, drill in the raised parts so air can pass under too. Smooth the cut area down carefully and you can put 4-5 peppers in there all season. Just pick up cleaner dirt before the transplant.

I don't put my nightcrawlers in miracle gro because I think they're going to get bigger.

I don't buy into the American mentality of "everything needs enriched and fortified," peppers are slow as shit no matter what you do.
Fastest: Green bell
Slower: Colored/mixed bells
Extra slow: Hot peppers/banana peppers, everything over 500 scovilles is a 150-170 day waiting game.
>>
How come black plants are so rare when it's best at absorbing light?
>>
>>2392927
Because chlorophyll is green.
>>
>>2392898
>2 inch deep roots fully grown
You're seriously just pulling shit out your ass.
>>
>>2392927
There is no good answer to your question.
It's either a need to absorb a certain part of the light spectrum that the color green is adept at, or god wanted them to be green.

Most plants even have to defend themselves from all the light, like tomatoes, potatoes and weed. Cilia, trichomes, niacin and sap are produced to help protect stems.
Few plants take full sun without having to defend themselves. Plus chlorophyll just happens to be green.

Could also have something to do with the nutrients they take from the soil, but potatoes and onions don't need to touch soil to produce green growth. And hydroponics produce green plants, so this might not be the answer either.

In all, a black plant would burn to a crisp in sunlight so it's not an optimal color to produce at all.
>>
>>2392929
Year end beefsteak tomatoes in miracle gro soil with blue miracle gro crystals added periodically were pulled up with a root bundle no bigger than my fist.

You don't actually think roots dig for nutrients when they're surrounded with pure chemical fertilizer and already overfertilized and getting chemical burns, do you?
They don't root. They don't build stem. The plant goes STRAIGHT to working on flowers and fruit because you stunted it.

I can't believe how much housewife opposition I'm getting over this chemical slew that weakens plants, increases disease and insect problems and makes the produce taste like raw chemicals. I don't get it. Get the fuck out if you don't garden organically, I don't bitch at people for putting flowers in it, just vegetables.

Miracle gro is an uneducated amateur's farming go-to, and you can tell how new they are here by how fiercely they defend the use of this fertilizer..
>>
>>2392933
>the man with a 2 inch fist
It has little to do with anything you're even saying, even with you just making shit up. Your insufferable elitism and bitchy attitude earn you every ounce of disdain you'll ever receive. Shove your nose a little harder into that organics cow's ass.
>>
>>2392953
My 50 organic beefsteak tomatoes are 4.5 feet tall. You can't even catch up with your chemicals, miss piggy.

Do me a favor and read global rule 3 before everyone gets sick of you and you get a 72 hour. No one cares that you're bleeding between the thighs and want to turn a nice thread into a warzone over the use of chemicals in your vegetables.
>>
>>2392955
You're an idiot. Good night.
>>
While anons discuss fertilizers, I keep autisticaly measuring my flytraps. Another 4cms trap, this time from La Grosse à Guigui.
>>
>>2392289
Birds, man. This is why I can no long have hanging plants on my front porch or a door wreath.
>>
>>2393061
They're the reason I have to keep everything caged: >>2393059
>>
Hello, i am a newbie in the world of plants, what would be a good plant that grows in a low light enviroment and is small?
>>
damn how did this thread become so toxic? I only joined /plant/ 4 threads ago but I never saw people insult each other like that - live and let live, voice your opinion don't force it on people.
This goes for both sides of the argument
>>
>>2393059
Nice looking flytraps!
I got a small one from a chain about a week ago and the traps are starting to be a little bit black, especially on those 'fangs'...are they burned or do they just need more water?
>>
File: 34128447214_ac78d6d87e_z.jpg (53KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
34128447214_ac78d6d87e_z.jpg
53KB, 480x640px
Here it is opened up, u. microcalyx
>>
>>2393214
Post a picture.
>>
>>2393135
Chlorophytum comosum
>>
>>2392955

I'm honestly not sure if you are going for the long con and will start touting the magic of scott's soil and fertilizers. Or you were just growing stuff that does better with soil that holds less moisture. I think you have some pretty good advice in general. But to me you lose some credibility when you say it makes them taste like chemicals. Also bury the stem of your tomatoes when you transplant them if you want more roots.

I think most people buy miracle grow because it works pretty well for most things. I think certain vegetables/flowers do better with poorer quality soil. Peppers are a good example. Peppers need good drainage and a lot of sun. Tomatoes and peppers do taste funny without a lot of sun. I think miracle gro has its place like the dollar store soil has its place but its cheaper to get the big bag of garden soil from homedepot its $2. I don't think it means people are uneducated because they use it. I think maybe you used it for the wrong thing or your tomatoes were too wet. If you were so educated you would know that most farmers are pumping a lot of chemicals onto dirt because its cheaper. miracle gro isn't for farming because their is potting soil and garden soil. its like you didn't read the bag. their fertilizers aka blue crystals are mostly made for convenience of watering. just buy some 10-10-10 if you are planting a garden.
>>2393059
yeah but whats your soil mixture?? are you a peat moss guy or are you a miracle gro and peat moss guy?
>>
Guys, what causes hyacinths to melt?

I bought two hyacinths from a shitty market (they were the only two plants not already half dead) but I've never cared for hyacinths. I did my research as best as I could, but after 4-5 days the flowers literally melted, and one of them lost all leaves. The other one is looking healthy despite the flower melting, the leaves are solid. Both bulbs are okay afaik, no pests and they were repotted in a deep, wide pot.

Too much/little water? Heat?
I live in a very tropical country so I know hyacinths most likely won't survive here, just wanted to find out why they melted.
>>
>>2392917
>I already said I call it bleach water because it smells like bleach.

>>2392879
>Cold faucet water is basically 5-6% bleach

Do you think I'm an idiot or are you one?
>>
File: chinkmint7.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
chinkmint7.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
bought some "mint" from Chinks, its been growing for about 2 weeks now. Its chasing light, but im giving it the best i can.

What does it mean to Harden my Mint? (before i put them outside, i was supposed to "harden" them)
>>
>>2393307
It just means you need to slowly get the plants acclimated to their new conditions. Even if they get full sun or bright lights indoors, it's still very different outdoors and usually they lose a bunch of leaves if you don't acclimatise them first. Basically the first day you just put them outside for one hour, the next day for two, and so on, until you just keep them outside permanently. If you don't mind losing some leaves and having your plants look sickly for a while (all new leaves will be perfectly adapted to the new environment), you can just put them outside without bothering with hardening them off.
>>
File: Birbe.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Birbe.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2393061
At this point the bird is just decoration. Just stays on the nest.
>>
>>2392917
OK I will try this
>>
>>2393315
Really missed a good trolling opportunity
>>
>>2393335
Cute dog.
>>
File: 20170526_195042.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170526_195042.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
This thing was $9 at homedepot. I think its a succulent. Any id appreciated. Also not sureof the light level required to get a bloom like this
>>
>>2392632
Hey, man, I'd like to have a problem like yours! It's end of May now, and +10-12 C in European part of Russia. It looks like an episode from "Independance Day" movie, where Russia is shown as snowy country (in July!). But, yes, we also grow outdoor decorative plants, but of different kinds. Such ones are strictly indoor in our climate.
>>
>>2393135
African violets.
>>
>>2393285
I use regular rotted down mulch soil.
I was also forced to use those things that year because the garden wasn't mine and my insane grandparent required me to put it in. It actually does make the vegetables taste like shit, at least the additional blue crystal fertilizer that you dilute in water does.

I don't like the soil or the ferts they sell. There is no difference in growth rate or production with tomatoes. If you're using miracle gro you might as well use glyphosate to keep the bugs off. I don't like it, you can't change my observations of the problems that stuff causes. Keep it off the vegetables, I'm telling you.
>>
>>2393307
I don't know specifically, but wind and movement strengthen stems by multitudes.
Do what dude said and otherwise point a fan on low towards them. You can rotate them slower too so the chasing bends the stems back and forth more, but once a day is always necessary.

You can't stop the chasing, that's what plants do. Rotation is necessary for most stuff until flowering.
>>
>>2393361
kalanchoe blossfeldiana
>>
do any of you know if there's any real benefit to soaking seeds in chamomile tea before planting? ive been doing it this year with good results, I'm just not sure if the tea has anything to do with it
>>
>>2393495
Thank you. I would have searched forever and some homedepot plants only come with no tags. This was the upper end of my plant budget because im not enjoying paying for a stupid pot. I hope i can keep it alive.
>>
File: IMAG0090.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0090.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
>>2391786 from last thread checking back in. I've been giving my traps a few more hours of sun each day and they seem to be doing well. I think they were very over watered before. I've got two more questions this time.

I have a couple of traps that are nonresponsive no matter how much I touch the triggers. Do I cut them off, or just let them do their own thing?

Next, I've noticed some white/green stuff at the base of the plant. It seems dry and flakey. Is this part of the plant? If so, what exactly is it? If not, what could it be?

Thanks in advance~
>>
>>2393290
>I don't believe in repotting right away because you are already changing a plants conditions pretty drastically. I have not had one in for awhile but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Its like when we buy an amaryllis here it might bloom for a few days or considerably longer. I would just let it stay alive until it dies back. Then you could probably refrigerate it if you need to trick it into blooming again. you don't know until you try.
>>
>>2393680
Awesome, thanks.
I mainly repotted because they came in the tiniest of pots (there was less than my finger's width between the bulb and the pot walls). I was afraid this would stunt their growth or kill them even faster than repotting.

They look pretty happy despite one being leafless, their main stem/leaf cluster is solid, shiny and thicc (not shriveled or yellowing). I cut away the dead flower stem so they wouldn't waste energy on it.
>>
My dudes, I come to you in need of help.

I live in Rio (Brazil) and I have an acerola tree that is 25+ years old. Twice a year it produces mad acerolas, like a bucket/day ignoring the ones that fall off naturally.

For some reason, twice last year it didn't grow fruit properly, it only made pruned/miniature acerolas.

The tree has no pests, is in an ideal area (sunny during morning/early afternoon and shade during hottest hours) and gets watered properly.
Any suggestions as to what I should feed it? I'm afraid of just following google and fucking up, I love this tree.
>>
File: IMG_20170529_121203_512.jpg (144KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170529_121203_512.jpg
144KB, 432x432px
>>2393649
Just leave the traps, even if they don't respond, they are part of the leaf and photosynthetize. And most people tend to overwater flytraps, you are doing good. (But remember they dehydrate fast, don't let them dry too much either).

>>2393285
I'm more of a Live moss and crickets man
>>
File: 20170530_133704.jpg (2MB, 1232x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20170530_133704.jpg
2MB, 1232x1600px
The Amorphophallus bulb my friend gave me has finally decided that it's ready to go. And man it's going fast.
>>
>>2393861
you cannot overwater flytraps
it is impossible
>>
>>2393982
I hope you get just the leaf because the flower's smell is unbearable.
>>
>>2394019
It was a very small bulb, so probably no flower. Hopefully.

I honestly find the leaf more interesting than the flower too, it's just so aethetic.

I'm asking myself if I should fertilze it though, on the one hand it's in fresh soil, on the other hand these fucks are HUNGRY
>>
File: Amorpho'JohnTan'.jpg (231KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Amorpho'JohnTan'.jpg
231KB, 600x800px
Fuck me these threads are going fast, each one used to last about a month and now we're 1/3 done in barely 2 days.

>>2393982
Nice, yeah it's crazy how quickly they shoot up. What species?
>>2394019
It's definitely worth experiencing, especially if a plant's never flowered before. That's not a flower anyway unfortunately.
>>
It's Tuesday. Got 3 parsley plants, 3 red cabbage, 1 really big basil I accidentally put on the tray and about fucking 30 cal wonder peppers that are 6-8 inches. Everything else was dead or lame, sadly fucking 40 broccoli plants were dead that I could have gotten, I'm pissed about that but the peppers are going to make me a bunch of money because I grow organically.

Still had to walk, but only halfway. Friend delivering them soon and I'll post them.
>>
File: IMG_20170530_101514.jpg (512KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_101514.jpg
512KB, 1120x1680px
>>2394034
Well I did bring one parsley up to work on while I waited, pruned and repotted it.
It's not as tasty as the other parsley variety they had, which died, but I like the stuff anyways.

The thing was hunting for dirt pretty hard, all their plants got zero care and the peppers are in fucking 1 inch by 2 inch seed starters so it's going to be a hell of a busy day.
>>
File: IMG_20170530_130852.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_130852.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
The 15-in-1 drosera I splitted 2 weeks agoi is doing really well, all have proper dew production now.
>>
>>2394029
Amorphophallus albus.

I wanted something smaller and he suggested this one. I don't have the room for konjac at the moment even though I really want one.

And if it flowers, well, I'll just put it on the balcony so my neighbours can enjoy it too.
>>
File: IMG_20170530_130908.jpg (2MB, 4640x2610px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_130908.jpg
2MB, 4640x2610px
>>2394040
>>
File: IMG_201705150_124356.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_201705150_124356.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
>>2394036
Doctored them up and moving them over the next two days.
Capsay basil, ruby red cabbage and cal wonder peppers. Good haul for free, might go pluck through the plants again tomorrow even though I don't need them.
>>
File: IMG_201705150_124419.jpg (1MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_201705150_124419.jpg
1MB, 1500x1000px
>>2394156
>>
File: IMG_20170530_124444.jpg (391KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_124444.jpg
391KB, 1120x1680px
>>2394158
I didn't ask for this one because I already have 40 basil stalks going.
>>
File: IMG_201705150_125600.jpg (2MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_201705150_125600.jpg
2MB, 1500x1000px
Should I knock these off? Plant shouldn't be fruiting in a fucking seed tray honestly.
>>
>>2392631
>will I die?
only one way to find out
>>
I got some of those starry night petunias, and it has been interesting to watch how the amount of purple and white varies. Has to do with the weather apparently.
>>
>>2394204
I googled them, they look cool as shit even though I'm not into flowers, just ornamentals and vegetables. Any way to post them?
>>
File: IMG_3836.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3836.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>>2394213
It's raining (finally) so here's some from the past week. Some have been almost all white, those happened about the time the heat wave started. When I looked up the growers sheet they said day/night temps create the variations.

I also got one of those heartbeat ones that are supposed to have little light pink hearts but they haven't had blooms yet. Based on what I've seen in the store, they will be far more hit and miss.

I know petunias are considered granny flowers but I like the smell and find the huge variety interesting. I mean the wave was originally found as a weed, and the black ones were created after a mutation at a growers farm got some green ones. It's just neat.
>>
File: color.png (482KB, 784x590px) Image search: [Google]
color.png
482KB, 784x590px
>>2394223
Here's the growers guide on it.
>>
>>2394228
Yeah I fucking hate granny and housewife flowers beyond anything but the ones you have are pretty damn cool.

Anything that looks like a violet fucking sucks. I like peonies, cactus flowers and vegetable flowers. Morning glories are fine. Mirabilis is pretty cool. The rest of them, except this specific flower you have, can die in a fire.
>>
>>2394223
Oh shit I didn't notice you cut them off, what did you do that for? To piss the plant off and get more flowers to come up?
>>
>>2393825
In burgerland a late frost will have similar results. Like flowers, then frost will equal no fruit. But i have not heard of your tree.
>>
>>2394223
Petunias have definitely made some sick gaines since these came out. Its must me like the first variation they had in a long time. I live in new jersey and had some come back up after the winter even though everybody says they are annuals.
>>
File: 20170530_212452.jpg (408KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20170530_212452.jpg
408KB, 1280x720px
Okay, I think I have about 4 or 5 flowers coming for this summer and this time I don't want it to go to waste like last year.
What am I supposed to do? I don't know anything about this sort stuff, this jovi is like the first living thing I've ever managed to successfully grow and not kill
>>
>>2392736
Thanks for the advice.

I ordered two small ones. I'm just gonna put them in bark and sphagnum moss with a drainage layer at the bottom.

From what I've read they want lots of water and fertilizer during growing season, so I need good drainage. I'm still not sure if they survive full sun exposure though, in nature they apparently grow completely exposed (and the sun in the tropics is much more intense than where I am) but it seems most people shade them at least a little.

I'm gonna try both and see which one does better.
>>
>>2394279
>what am I supposed to do?

Nothing dude, it's a succ, it'll do whatever it wants. Maybe pick those rocks out and add unfertilized dirt on the surface since they're potted.
>>
>>2394262
Violas can be okay. Wide range of colour combinations and the fuzzy types are interesting, plus the weird history of how they made the first 'blue' rose by shoving pansy genes into a rose (honestly though the result just looks lavender to me and apparently the plant is hard as fuck to keep alive, gee I wonder why.) Then again I generally like flowers of all types from veg to granny.

>>2394265
Pretty much. I usually have little vases of flowers all over the house once spring gets going.

>>2394276
For a while it seems the thing they've been trying to push is the green edging, like the Picasso series. Last year there was a variegated leaf type too, but no one where I work bought it and it's not back this year. I think it flopped.
>>
>>2394281
I meant like the whole breeding thing, If I don't do anything it won't do it itself as these plants don't naturally grow in my area
>>
lace leaf philodendron. How can I better predict when tendrils will emerge?
Can I stimulate new tendril growth via some weird trick?
>>
File: kew-gardens-greenhouse-332-3.jpg (89KB, 660x475px) Image search: [Google]
kew-gardens-greenhouse-332-3.jpg
89KB, 660x475px
>>2394279
>>2394288
>it won't do it itself
Says who? You might get an opportunist pollinator come along to help you out, who knows. Just wait for flowers to open and pollinate them yourself if you're that bothered (I can't imagine why it's a priority though - look at all that asexual reproduction going on).
>>
>>2394288
It will seed. You can work it out from there.
>>
>>2394288
>>2394348
>>2394349
Either way starting succulents from seed is a nightmare. They're so slow and easy to kill, if you so much as cough in the wrong direction all your seedlings just drop dead. If you want more succulents, pull off some leaves, stick them or just lay them on soil and wait for a little while. Success guaranteed. It's faster, easier and more rewarding than growing from seed, which only makes sure the new plants won't be genetic clones.
>>
File: tumblr_o620px7x6e1s0kiano2_1280.jpg (235KB, 1280x428px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o620px7x6e1s0kiano2_1280.jpg
235KB, 1280x428px
moving into a new bedroom in a couple months, it's only got one small slanted window, which plants can i get that do well in low light conditions?
>>
File: IMG_6324.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6324.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Hey guys, I don't go onto the plant general much but i don't think this question deserves it's own thread.

What kind of plant is pic related, I'm in Ontario Canada but I don't think it matters because it doesn't look native, at first I thought it was a weed because I don't remember sowing seeds for something like these but I like the colour and would like to know what they are.
>>
>>2394482
Columbine
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquilegia
>>
Speaking of petunias, there's currently a petunia culling going on which I find interesting http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/how-transgenic-petunia-carnage-2017-began

>growers get plants they don't know are GE
>it's found out
>plants are being recalled to be destroyed

RIP orange petunias
>>
>>2394348
>>2394349
>>2394386
alright I'll just let it be then, thanks :)
>>
>>2394545
Wow.
>>
>>2394386
Yes, I just got a jade like this and they clone with an extremely high success rate, it's impressive. Someone told me here 10 days ago that they clone well so I picked one and it had no idea it was yanked out of the ground and replanted at all.
>>
>>2394545
>http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/05/how-transgenic-petunia-carnage-2017-began

holly crap I don't understand. 10 years ago my dad came home with every tuber you can imagine in purple. it was weird. IF GE vegetables are sold and eaten why would they destroy the petunia that nobody is eating

>>2394282
I wonder where that green comes from. I wish I understood more about hybridizing. I have heard that flowers with the green edge last longer. I also wonder why temperature would have such an effect on flower color. Not that I have control to that degree but its interesting.

I once went to this house that had uncontrollable violas between all the bricks in their walkway to their house it was pretty cool looking.
>>
File: IMG_20170530_160900.jpg (787KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_160900.jpg
787KB, 1120x1680px
>>2394637
Well you don't want them digging beneath your stonework. You can use them for it, like I was attempting.

My tater was fuckong flowering and the out of state mowers chopped up JUST the top today. They're done, fuck the church and whoever organizes this shit, I'm not dealing with it. 90 Days of hard, organic work and they fucking do this. I'm losing my fucking mind. I tagged the plant and fucking put 6 large rocks around it.

Those fucking faggots are out of a job for this. I wanted potatoes and to loosen the soil behind my rock wall so I could put more dirt and rocks in and level the yard after harvest.
Then this. What the actual fuck.
>>
>>2394646
File complaints until you get more potatoes than you need. That's just frickin' rude. Do they hire third worlders to do menial labor like they do here?
>>
>>2394646
Why are people in your garden?
Is this just an american thing?
>>
File: IMG_20170530_155123.jpg (747KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170530_155123.jpg
747KB, 1120x1680px
>>2394649
Parsonage, they hire people to come here and mow. Tater was clearly marked and left alone last time, jasd to put it just outside the garden because it would fuck the foundation.

>>2394647
Yes, they're from Pennsylvania and they don't know what a vegetable is. I'm fucking mad. There is no grass here, it's a ditch. They should not be weedeating in a fucking ditch with nothing but dirt.
Tater was happy and had 8 flowers, growing from a russet Burbank top I was surprised to even get started.
This is fuckery. I have talked to the pastor already about firing these fucking assholes.

They cut down EIGHTEEN RASPBERRY PLANTS to the root last year because "omg thorns bad." Now I don't have my two gallons of raspberries this year and my early warning to go pick wild ones.

I lived in Pennsylvania for a while but I am completely convinced now that they do not know what the fuck plants even do.
>>
File: IMG_201705150_104915.jpg (2MB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_201705150_104915.jpg
2MB, 1500x1000px
>>2394667
I mean it's a fucking ditch.

These fucking retards ALWAYS MOW CLOCKWISE too so you know what I have to do? Scrape the fucking grass off the house. Sweep 100 feet of walkways. Clean out my garden because they spray pests into organic growth.

There is just no fucking way this is sustainable I had 4 inch deep grass on every walkway when I got here because these people are so fucking stupid. Fuck the pastor's attachments to them, this is ending tomorrow at bible study.
>>
>>2394683
>this is ending tomorrow at bible study
I find this sentence really hilarious.
>>
>>2394690
I have got to have a house dude and I pay $200 a month. It stops being funny when you realize that an autism diagnosis makes you homeless for life because no one will hire you and houses are too expensive to live in. I have a good situation so I deal with the church.
I just don't want to be losing food like this.
>>
File: CAM00995.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00995.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2394280
No problem man, happy to help here
Put some shade on them, in my garden the only one that can stand in direct sunlight is the vanilla planifolia.
You are getting one of the most interesting orchids, the catasetum has a very weird body language, losing the leaves before it flowers, growing the clusters from weird parts of the pseudobulb, and some of the most beautiful flowers ever.
I give them 30-10-10 for growing and 10-30-20 so the flowers last longer, in the flowering season i recommend diluting the fertilizer to a quarter of it's recommended dose and use it everytime you water the plant.
Pic is a cluster of flower from some dendrobium nobilis
>>
>>2394694
Obligatory IANAL but you don't need to disclose your medical conditions to potential employers. There's exceptions of course, like if your job is a blood donor or something and you have HIV. But autism? I have autism and my employer doesn't know because it is none of their business.
>>
>>2394724
You disclose your SSN and the SSA happily gives all their info away.

People don't think it happens, but it does. And when one person lets it slip that you were diagnosed, thousands and thousands of people will know and harass you because you receive SSI.
I've been on a 10 year long job hunt and gotten one month of work before dropping a 150lb pneumatic stream drill on my pinky and being fired for being a liability. We're talking 3,000 applications. I am not dumb or incapable, I just have some allergies and autism. Somehow employers are finding this shit out and I blame the SSA and housewife gossip.
>>
>>2394637
Honestly no idea. Probably something to do with going through proper channels since these GE petunias were ones no one knew were GE?

From everything I've read it sounds like they won' fuck the environment and have probably been all over for years, it's that they are illegal.

(Speaking of such. Does anyone else ever see that 'illegal to propagate' line on the tags and get the urge to do it when you weren't even thinking of it before? I don't even have room for it but god it makes me want to try every time.)
>>
>>2394751
>illegal to propagate
I'd want to plant them on literally every vacant lot I had access to.
>>
>>2394754
Check out some flowers at a nursery, loads of their tags will have that on them.
>>
>>2392281
Can vines growing in a hedge harm the hedge? I've noticed some have started growing while gardening around my grandparents. So far there isnt much so I'd rather remove them if they can cause harm
>>
>>2394703
>Put some shade on them, in my garden the only one that can stand in direct sunlight is the vanilla planifolia.
Alright, will do. I don't want to kill these, they were expensive.

>I give them 30-10-10 for growing and 10-30-20 so the flowers last longer, in the flowering season i recommend diluting the fertilizer to a quarter of it's recommended dose and use it everytime you water the plant.
Sounds good, less effort too. These are too small to flower though, Fredclarkeara are damn expensive here, so I got two small ones instead of one big one that could start flowering.

One more question: Rain- or tapwater? I know most orchids want rainwater or tapwater diluted with distilled water, but tapwater here (germany) is usually really good and that way I wouldn't have to add calcium and trace elements. Might still be too hard though.
>>
File: 20170531_113416.jpg (1MB, 1351x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20170531_113416.jpg
1MB, 1351x1600px
And there it is. Thankfully it's not as hot anymore, so I can't smell anything.
>>
>>2392281
Yh
>>
>>2394900
Tyvu
>>
>>2394899
Wonderful, dude. My stinkers don't flower yet.
>>
Would my Drosera do better on a west facing windowsill or east facing balcony?
>>
>>2394984
East. I have mine outside facing south, and the slimy faggots keep invading all the other pots.
>>
>>2393335
That's actually fucking hilarious to me for some stupid reason.
>>
File: IMG_3838.jpg (85KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3838.jpg
85KB, 640x480px
>>2395112
The new trend for 2017. Bird plants.
>>
File: IMG_3848.jpg (158KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3848.jpg
158KB, 640x480px
My creeping thyme seems really happy and it swallowing my pot. Nice.
>>
File: 34976355686_cc0a7994d5_z.jpg (67KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
34976355686_cc0a7994d5_z.jpg
67KB, 480x640px
>>
>>2394817
Yes eventually. Depends on the vine and the hedge. >>2394817
>>
File: 20170531_152651.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170531_152651.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
I have to post this every thread, it's law.

>>2394005
It's hard but not impossible, specially if the substrate is bad.
>>
File: IMG_20170531_125354.jpg (3MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170531_125354.jpg
3MB, 2976x3968px
>>2394895

I usually use just rain water but to be honest it just rains a lot here, in "dry" months i go 50-50 with filtered tap water (i leave the buckets 48 hs in the sun) and it works perfectly, if you feel confident enough about the tap water there i say give it a shot (but i strongly recommend you do what i do with the buckets), perhaps not 50-50, but you might try 70-30 and see what happens, also remember what op said, no leaf no water.
In this pic, D. Bellatulum mounted on a piece of bark, outta say the growing rate is much slower than the one for a potted one but with the mounted ones you can say goodbye to most of the root problems, and also its pretty neat to see them "embrace the bark"
>>
File: 1246803714508.jpg (3KB, 105x126px) Image search: [Google]
1246803714508.jpg
3KB, 105x126px
>>2395194
>mfw
I also just found out there are a whole lot more drosera species than I first thought. Especially those on a stalk, like banksii, really surprised me, and I think they look fantastic.
>>
File: Drosera_platypodaPlantHabit.jpg (1MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Drosera_platypodaPlantHabit.jpg
1MB, 1920x2560px
>>2395329
And this one too, so lovely!
>>
File: Nephentes_002.jpg (72KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
Nephentes_002.jpg
72KB, 512x768px
Aw man, I just found a forum account from 12 years ago, I used to have a drosera regera and a fantastic nephentes alata.
So much regret that I didn't take proper care of it anymore after a while...
>>
File: 5141418863_8a89bfe654_z.jpg (206KB, 428x640px) Image search: [Google]
5141418863_8a89bfe654_z.jpg
206KB, 428x640px
>order a bunch live sphagnum moss from one place and a bunch of plants from the other place to plant in the moss
>plants are sent much earlier than expected and set to arrive at least a week before the moss
>will now have to temporarily plant them in peat

Never imagined I'd ever feel bad that new plants arrived earlier than expected.

>>2395345
Beautiful Nepenthes!
>>
File: capensis-alba_prey_01.jpg (51KB, 467x605px) Image search: [Google]
capensis-alba_prey_01.jpg
51KB, 467x605px
>>2395348
>Beautiful Nepenthes!
ikr ._. I wish I could slap some sense in past me. My mom took really good care of it for a long time, then gave it with me when I moved out, and it died a few months later because I just didn't take care of it.

Very cool picture you too, I found a sortof similar one in my old album, pic related. So cool how they do that. My current droseras (just regular capensis) can't hold on to a bug that size yet. The best they can do is fruit flies and baby spiders.
>>
File: IMG_20170531_123246.jpg (3MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170531_123246.jpg
3MB, 2976x3968px
>>2392704

Srry i just saw this men, not all of them whiten but all of them lose their leafs.
It is not hard based on the fact that they are asleep a third of the year but i wouldn't recommend it for a newbie, i believe that a dendrobium or a miltonia might be easier.
pic is brassalova tuberculata, is a little slow to grow, looks kinda weird and the flowers are just amazing dude
>>
File: 34540565122_2c7c9aa3eb_z.jpg (143KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
34540565122_2c7c9aa3eb_z.jpg
143KB, 480x640px
>>2395329
They're great. There's a species for everyone and every growing condition. Pygmy species are my favorite.
>>
>>2395384
That's very cute!n What do they eat?
And I think you're right, because that platypoda really grabbed me, imma look into them tomorrow, see if they can thrive over here, and if I can order one somehow.
>>
File: IMG_0211.jpg (24KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0211.jpg
24KB, 320x240px
Goddamnit home depot, your site doesn't take the code. I just want to know if these orange flowers are the ones being burned across the world or not.

This is only further evidence that home depot's plant section is Satan.
>>
>>2395388
Thanks, they eat anything small enough to fit onto the leaf which is dried bloodworms for me. Good luck with platypoda. Depending on where you are in the world tuberous drosera are not always the easiest to find.
>>
File: IMG_0207.jpg (40KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0207.jpg
40KB, 320x240px
>>2395510
Also here is my incredibly shitty phone picture of said flowers. I'm in Canada, and haven't seen any mention if they are illegal here. I know they are in the EU, America, and Australia, so, probably, but I'm unsure of what our GM policies are.
>>
>>2395514
Don't they need live prey? Or is just wiggling it a bit by hand enough to trigger it?
>>
>>2395889
I used to feed them fish flakes
>>
>>2394690
I actually lol'ed at that sentence too. Its probably the first time that sentence has ever been said in history.
>>2394743

We have people mow are yard so I can garden. It doesn't matter who you get to mow they are all that way. The only thing that might work is staking and roping things off or staking and netting. They wont weed eat things that might mess their weed eaters up like nets and rope. Its not that they don't know its just easier for them to chop things down. They stay away from bird netting and heavier nets because it will force them to stop working. Yes occasionally they will chew through some of your net and you will have to buy some more but they just don't get it.

I have had a garden most of my life and have never actually encountered a raspberry patch. Blackberries and blueberries but I have never seen a raspberry patch.
birds always eat any blackberries before I can get them though. but anyway go buy some bird netting its fairly cheap and you can reuse it a few years. takes awhile to get the hand of cutting it square though. I've tried reasoning with them but then the next week its someone else its just a losing battle. Just take a day and net off everything.
>>2394751
I always thought you could propagate anything but you couldn't sell it. Kind of like those tags on pillows. But then when Monsanto starting winning those lawsuits maybe that changed.

>>2395345
That is bad ass. I did not know that existed either. Are you in USA? Can i acquire one of these or do I have to spend decades to grow one?
>>2395348
You can buy a bag of perlite to hold you over.
>>
>>2395885
I mean it looks like the picture. But I don't think its a big deal. From my limited understanding of plant genes it almost has to be recessive trait. so if you were really into petunias you could try to cross it with some other petunia but it would normally revert back to the dominate color. But I really wish someone with a better grasp of such things would explain. And in Canada its not going to invade so its even less of an issue.
>>2395384
What if you were in new jersey and your basement is like 65F in the winter and you don't get enough light in the winter. Is their a carnivorous plant for me. I keep killing them.
>>
File: 34913505665_d2bfc2cb81_z.jpg (155KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
34913505665_d2bfc2cb81_z.jpg
155KB, 480x640px
>>2395889
They react to anything containing nitrogen; I used to feed them egg whites. It's flytraps that require mechanical stimulation.
>>2395974
You could grow temperate NA carnivorous plants like sarrcenia and some drosera outdoors. Or grow tropical plants indoors with supplemental light. 65 is a good temp for a lot of nepenthes, especially if it gets colder at night. Lights cost me like 100 for the startup costs but they only add a few dollars to each month's electricity bill. the pictured plant was grown only with artificial light this winter
>>
>>2395971
That nephentes was just some generic one I bought at a market, it was 30cm (1ft) tall at that time. It grew to that size, the bottom stem turning to wood, over the course of ~8 years.
I live in Belgium, but back then I still lived at my parents' place, and they have a glass covered porch, so it got a lot of light and great temps year round.I really should get another one and properly take care of it myself this time, to atone for the sin of letting that glorious one die horribly.
>>
>>2395971
>You can buy a bag of perlite to hold you over.
I don't mind putting them in pure peat (works just fine), I just don't feel like moistening the peat to put them in it only to repot them a week later.

>>2396007
Cool, I'm from Belgium as well. Good to know even in this climate you can get them that big.
>>
I put blackberry plant and grape vine on my birthday list this year only expecting to get one, but my mom and sister decided to get me both.

I only have one dirt patch I can plant them in. How far away would they have to be from each other?
Or, would either one be okay to put in a large pot?
>>
File: IMG_20170601_140201.jpg (586KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170601_140201.jpg
586KB, 1120x1680px
>>2396034
You shouldn't pot them. As for planting, about 10-12 inches apart. It doesn't matter at all though.
>>
>>2396034
Blackberries grow quite well in containers (honestly they just grow well anywhere), and you'll be able to contain the thorny mess a bit better.
>>
File: foto_no_exif.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
my plants
r8
>>
>>2396044
I don't think it's a good idea. Never done it, but huge potted plants are fucking awful. Peace lilies are the worst of them and extremely hard to move.
>>
>>2396053
i have potted huge dracena marginata, it is taller than me and almost as old as me (about 20 yo)
i like this plant very much
>>
File: IMAG0784.jpg (975KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0784.jpg
975KB, 1520x2688px
I saw this giant ass Paeonia suffruticosa in a botanical garden a month ago. Bees inside for scale. Was really beautiful, didn't take a pic of the whole thing tho.
>>
>>2396055
I like huge plants too but shit like peace lily and berries are extremely hard to move around.
>>
>>2396050
Jumanji is still a good movie.
>>
File: Untitled.png (442KB, 393x646px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
442KB, 393x646px
I posted this on /aq/ but figured you guys would like as well. My Anubias is growing again! The whole thing died off about 3 months ago and I was hoping it would come back. I just noticed this little leaf.
>>
>>2396042
>>2396044
Well, I actually already have the blackberry in a 15 gallon pot and the grape in the dirt, just because I wanted to get them out of those plastic bags. Is there anything I should be looking out for in terms of plant health for them?

The pot gets more sun, if that makes a difference, and for what it's worth I used an organic potting soil made from food waste.

>about 10-12 inches apart
Won't they just get tangled up together and make a mess?

>>2396053
I have one of those wheeled platforms used for working under cars. I can use that to move it if it gets unwieldy.
>>
>>2396091
???
>>
>>2396119
>He's never watched Jumanji
You poor thing.
>>
>>2396121
maybe i have but it was long ago
>>
>>2396124
One of your plants reminds me of the man eater vines. That entire corner you've got going looks like a scene straight from the movie. Also, it's one of those childhood favorites that still holds up, in my opinion at least.
>>
File: IMG_20170601_173746.jpg (165KB, 684x1518px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170601_173746.jpg
165KB, 684x1518px
>>2395968
>I used to feed them fish flakes
>>2396004
>They react to anything containing nitrogen; I used to feed them egg whites. It's flytraps that require mechanical stimulation.

Man, how did I not know this. This is super useful information, and changes everything, thanks a lot!
I just love watching all of them, they feel so alive!
Can I do the same for pinguicula?
>>
>>2396019
>Cool, I'm from Belgium as well. Good to know even in this climate you can get them that big.
Yeah, it did really well. On hot days I put it outside, and it caught a bunch of shit too.
I just started again with plants, and picked up some carnivorous too after browsing a few of these threads, I hope I can keep em all going well.
Which ones do you have?

Also, what can I safely use as ground cover? I want to keep a few in a nice pot and have em look as pretty as possible. Small white stones or something would be pretty neat I think. Right now I don't even have moss growing yet, so they look pretty sad.
>>
>>2396214
Yea, but pinguicula don't move at all.
>>
>>2396106
I was napping, you can pot anything really, but they do get hard to move. Yes they will tangle up, no it won't matter to the plant. Organic growing is always good, but try to get both in the dirt because berry vines spread about 6 by 6 feet wide and are impossible to move while potted.

The faggots that cut my lawn chopped down 18 vines last year and now I only have one vine with 40 berries. Faggots chopped down my potato yesterday too and I was screaming.
>>
>>2396214
>>2396216 and you'll generally want to make the food pieces smaller to avoid mold. Pings are really nice too and can be even easier to grow.
>>
File: 34467577701_26b6e4ddcc_z.jpg (84KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
34467577701_26b6e4ddcc_z.jpg
84KB, 480x640px
>>2396243
forgot pic
>>
>>2396214
>Can I do the same for pinguicula?
Yes, but you don't really need to because they'll manage to catch all fungus gnats in your neighbourhood anyway. I also recall reading that as soon as a Pinguicula digests something, the part of the leaf that did the digestion will never get sticky again. Need a Pinguicula expert here to say if that's true.
>>
bought a pachira plant, some hanging hosta, and a couple pots of ivy yesterday, feels good to have some more green around the house!

especially excited about the ivy since i had some small potted ones last year that grew to insane levels before they died horrifically during christmas break

looking forward to attempting these spring/summer guys though!
>>
>>2394899
>Start drawing this flower for reference because I haven't drawn in 5+ years
>End up drawing horrorterrors instead
I'm so sorry, Anon. It's all I can see.
>>
>>2395212
what is the wire keeping out?

>>2396004
Is there some place cheaper than ebay you would recommend? I'm not normally that cheap but I've have the blood of several venus fly traps on my hands. What kind of lights? led, flourecent?
>>2396106
blackberrys basically stay tangled. I definitely wouldn't pot it with a grapevine. And personally I never found grapevines very enjoyable. You will also need a way to keep birds away from blackberrys. I think a pot would keep it from taking over your yard. and in the winter you can just chop it all down and move easily.
>>
>>2395974
Oh yeah, the petunias aren't going to cause any actual trouble. They're just a paperwork problem. I just find the whole story fascinating. Someone stole petunias from some lab, people only found out because of one guy seeing them in Finland, and now your orange petunias are illegal and you gotta burn them. It's kinda funny.

Also I found 3 on the list at a place for cheap so I bought them. I'm going to make them a petunia jail.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/biotechnology/downloads/petunia_varieties.pdf (They keep adding more and more, and orange isn't the only color. Mine are all pinks. Not a color I normally go for, but, petunia jail.)
>>
>>2396327
LED's and flourecents both will work. A CFL fixture will be a lot cheaper, 30-45 dollars. If you want to go even cheaper you can try craigslist.
>>
File: Lle5.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Lle5.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
I'm going to post something other than birbs
My orange lillies are fading, but yellow and assorted are blooming.
>>
File: Lile9.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Lile9.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2396368
>>
File: Lyle.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Lyle.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2396370
>>
File: Lyle.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Lyle.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>2396371
>>
File: carrion flower.jpg (138KB, 789x872px) Image search: [Google]
carrion flower.jpg
138KB, 789x872px
My Carrion Flower is just days away from blooming.
>>
File: 1018769_tcm9-259502.jpg (50KB, 767x431px) Image search: [Google]
1018769_tcm9-259502.jpg
50KB, 767x431px
>>2396327
>What is the wire keeping out?
>>
File: IMG_6244.jpg (278KB, 969x691px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6244.jpg
278KB, 969x691px
can anyone identify this plant?
>>
File: IMG_0003 - Copy.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0003 - Copy.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
Anyone else grow pygmy drosera?
Bought these last year as gemmae and now I've got dozens of more gemmae to grow, though none of them have flowered.
>>
File: figs.jpg (100KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
figs.jpg
100KB, 500x374px
Anyone here a fig hobbyist?
>>
File: FigLeaf.jpg (10KB, 257x230px) Image search: [Google]
FigLeaf.jpg
10KB, 257x230px
>>2396620
A fig that doesn't get enough light
>>
File: LSU-Purple-Fig-Tree-400.jpg (69KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
LSU-Purple-Fig-Tree-400.jpg
69KB, 400x400px
>>2396620
Definitely a fig tree.
>>
>>2396628
I've got two figs growing in pots but mine just seem to be so slow for some reason.
2 years old and all they seem to do is grow leaves, grow 2 or so inches and then die back.
Any advice? I'm growing in pots.
>>
>>2396718
They go dormant in winter, and they need huge pots to grow well. I'm growing a tiny fig cutting indoors because the scent of the leaves is delicious, but they really should be grown outside.
>>
>>2396628
Our house came with a fig tree planted outside. It's frickin' massive, waiting on fruit now. Will probably poach neighbors fruit too since they probably don't care and it's hanging over our property.
>>
Cephalotus follicularis growing a flower stalk
>>
N. Rebecca Soper upper pitcher
>>
Dionaea "Sawtooth"
>>
Sarracenia x "Scarlett belle"
>>
File: 1396507496990.jpg (58KB, 323x311px) Image search: [Google]
1396507496990.jpg
58KB, 323x311px
>>2396742
>that thumbnail
>>
>>2396368
you have such a cute garden!
>>
File: 1494736319682.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494736319682.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>2396747
Eeehhm yes...
>>
>>2396749
It looks a bit like you're holding a black dong, I think.
>>
>>2396752
New to these threads?
>>
File: 20170602_163157.jpg (983KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20170602_163157.jpg
983KB, 900x1600px
>>2393982
It's going even faster now. The leaf should unfurl soon, right?
>>
>>2396627
Those look very cute, but seem to have no dew?

>>2396745
Lovely colors!

>>2396215
>Also, what can I safely use as ground cover? I want to keep a few in a nice pot and have em look as pretty as possible. Small white stones or something would be pretty neat I think. Right now I don't even have moss growing yet, so they look pretty sad.
Anyone?
>>
>>2396789
They've got dew, it's just really tiny.
>>
File: Gkst2.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Gkst2.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2396748
Thanks.
Here's the rest of it.
I need to remove a couple hostas
>inb4 I told you so anon
>>
>>2396826
Prepare to have to rip a lot of shit up, hosta roots are no joke.

Post bird plant today. We require a new picture of it daily.
>>
>>2396826
Cute dog.
>>
>>2396829
Will post birb pics later
>>2396831
Kek
>>
>>2396832
"later"
Are you not home? Is the bird plant not there?

I demand bird plant.
>>
File: IMG_2686.jpg (108KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2686.jpg
108KB, 612x816px
>>2396752
I'm legitimately worried about how obsessed people on the internet are about black cocks. Stop desecrating these perfectly innocent plants, you filthy cuckold.
>>
>>2396843
We all know you tried sticking your dick in there at least once.
>>
>>2396718
They need lots of sunlight to grow well. You also need to make sure the pots are at least 5 gallons.
>>
File: _20170530_204548.jpg (475KB, 2405x2252px) Image search: [Google]
_20170530_204548.jpg
475KB, 2405x2252px
>>2393210
It did but its easily ignored. Attached a pic of some tricomes on my plants
>>
>>2393335
You should tweet that at @rubberbandits they like animals doing shit that looks odd.
>>
>>2396837
Not home atm
Im sure both birbs are there, they take turns.
>>
>>2396872
Will check it out
>>
File: xyutaka.jpg (75KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
xyutaka.jpg
75KB, 480x640px
>>2396844
t. imgur scum
>>2396872
>commie-sympathising 'funny' musicians
No thanks mate
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 256x197px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 256x197px
can you keep hosta in a pot and keep it healthy? i've limited outdoor space and they look pretty cool for indoor plants!
>>
File: Birb16.jpg (889KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Birb16.jpg
889KB, 2560x1440px
>>2396837
Birb plant is going good.
>>
File: Ast51.jpg (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Ast51.jpg
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>2397129
You can get container hostas.
I'll be transplanting this one in to a raised bed next spring. Personally I would use as large a pot as possible, mainly because of how prolific they grow.
>>
File: Byrb52.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Byrb52.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2397147
>>
File: Ovrez53.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Ovrez53.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2397156
>>
>>2397156
Do you feed him? Is he a chill bird bro?
>>
>>2392632
Depending on your elevation they should be fine
>>
File: Birb6.jpg (762KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Birb6.jpg
762KB, 2560x1440px
>>2397180
I don't mess with them at all, nor do I plan too. It's a male and female, they take turns on the nest.
They are pretty chill, people can be right next to them and they won't move. I try to leave them alone as much as possible, I'm sure it stresses them out if I get close.
>>
>>2397147
Now I'm going to have to lurk more to see when they hatch
>>
File: 20170603_115740.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_115740.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Mexican pings
>>
>>2396844
it burns. there is acid in there to digest the bugs. the burning in ur pee-hole....
>>
If I cut a length off of an old denim pant leg and sew the bottom shut, can I stick some dirt in it and use it as a small planter?
I see fabric pots for sale, but I've never seen someone do this specifically and it seems like exactly the kind of thing upper-middle class white women should be doing in droves and selling for shekels on Etsy if it actually worked.
>>
>>2397643
something something drainage through denim consideration blah blah
>>
File: 1496500169440.jpg (62KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1496500169440.jpg
62KB, 480x480px
>>2397643
probably, though cotton will eventually rot I guess
>>
>>2397645
what the fuck that looks horrifying
>>
>>2397645
T H I C C
>>
>>2397645
YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE BUTTS SO I MADE PLANT BUTTS
>>
>>2397655
T
H
I
C
C
>>
File: IMG_20170603_211538.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170603_211538.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
Why are these leaves curling up and yellowing?

What can i do to help it?

Im not sure of the exavt plant name, but its one of the ones tjat you rub the leaves and it smells like lemon.
>>
File: IMG_20170603_211546.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170603_211546.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
And close up
>>
File: IMG_20170602_114746.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170602_114746.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
Also my Chinese Mint i purchased is doing well.
>>
>>2397695
are they crispy? soggy?
could be too much sun, too much water?

also, make sure you put some plant feed in there, leaves curling up and yellowing could also be a vitamin deficiency
>>
>>2397700
They feel crispy yes. Is there a particular feed i should use or just an all purpose one?

They sit on a windo sill that receives afternoon sun, and i dont think i have over watered it - but i may have.
>>
File: 215kllrj3uhy.jpg (40KB, 640x457px) Image search: [Google]
215kllrj3uhy.jpg
40KB, 640x457px
>>2397704
crispy could mean the sun is too much or the heat in your bedroom is too high and you're not giving it enough water! try watering it a bit more, finding an identification for what plant it is for better care tips, and give it a couple days of daily watering, possibly until the water runs out of the bottom of the pot

give it a go!
>>
File: 377109.jpg (54KB, 500x682px) Image search: [Google]
377109.jpg
54KB, 500x682px
I'm looking to start a small garden on the balcony of my apartment. Is there a sticky or essential links or information I should look into for starting out? Any tips or advice for absolute beginners?
First time visiting /plant/ and /an/ in general btw, pls no bully. I've never looked after plants before but I happened to visit some great botanic gardens while I was on vacation and I got interested.
>>
File: CAM01163.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
CAM01163.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2397796

tell us a little bit more man, like what kind of light do you get there? what kind of climate? are you looking for nice flowers? preffer the ever green kinda plant? are you too hardcore for a lily or rather do you consider yourself to be zen enough for a cactus? what kind of plants did you liked the most in this botanical garden you visited?
most essencials or tricks for absolute beginners will depend on the kind of plant you want, there is no way to generalize all the plants together.
pic is a christmas cactus, cactae and succulent where my first plants, low maintenance and cool shapes did it for me, but now (a long couple of years laters) i have become a full orchid fag and i also have a thing for ferns
>>
>>2397699
>40 cups

Fuck I only have 30, just got a tray today.
>>
File: Pink Rose 2.jpg (4MB, 3500x1969px) Image search: [Google]
Pink Rose 2.jpg
4MB, 3500x1969px
I really hope i can get some noob advice here.
I live in a trailer park and we got two roses growing in our area, and a third rose looking bush that doesn't seem to be blooming. What do I need to do to make these roses look excellent?
Do i need to get some string to tie up the pink roses? I don't know proper rose grooming etiquette either.
The white one, does it have enough space? I'm going to clean the surroundings of weeds and debris but are those dividers going to block it from growing at all?
The third rose bush looking thing, is it just a rose bush that hasn't bloomed yet?
And how do you go about planting a rose bush, we just got a tiny red rose that needs to be planted.
Sorry if its a lot of questions or if it's not the right place to ask, i just figured you guys really knew your shit and i could get the best advice.
>>
File: White Rose 2.jpg (1MB, 1303x1742px) Image search: [Google]
White Rose 2.jpg
1MB, 1303x1742px
>>2397833
>>
File: White Rose 1.jpg (1MB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
White Rose 1.jpg
1MB, 2064x1161px
>>2397839
>>
File: Birb06.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Birb06.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2397188
Birb plant is growing
>>
File: Hst27.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Hst27.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2397844
Hostas are blooming
>>
File: Hta5.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Hta5.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2397847
>>
File: Unidentified Bush.jpg (2MB, 3500x1729px) Image search: [Google]
Unidentified Bush.jpg
2MB, 3500x1729px
>>2397833
Is this a rose bush that's just getting fried or what?
>>
File: aha.jpg (413KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aha.jpg
413KB, 1920x1080px
>>2397813
Thanks for the reply mate! I would have posted more info but I didn't really know what was relevant.
I live in Athens, Greece, so Mediterranean hot climate I guess. My balcony space is shady, but I think it gets a lot plenty of indirect light throughout the day.
I'd love to get something with nice flowers, I've been looking into petunias but I don't know much about them - orchids look great too. I also don't want something that will take 2 years or so to bloom, at least for my first plants. My mother visited a while back and recommended that I also plant some herbs like rosemary, oregano or basil, so I'd like to do that too since I cook occasionally and it would be a big plus. Aside from that I don't really know, I'm open to pretty much any plant that looks or smells good and wouldn't struggle too much to survive on my balcony.
I went through the videos I took from the gardens and here's a picture I extracted, I like all 3 and especially the red bushy-flowery plant but I'm guessing it's probably some rare kind of indigenous plant that they had there.
>>
File: Mch3.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Mch3.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2397849
And I cleaned up a bit and mulched today.
>>2397833
I'm probably not the most informed on rose bushes, but I can tell you what I know.
Clear all weeds and debris in a drip edge ring around the entire bush. However big the entire bush, is how big of an area to clear, clean, mulch and fertilize. On knockout roses such as yours go one inch below the first Union, or fork/tee on the plant. Leave a mound up to this point, of clean or fertilized/mulched dirt around the circumference of the plant.
Dead head, or remove previous blooms and all dead looking blooms and growth periodically. Water daily, morning and evenings, unless during rainy days.
Specialized rose fertilizer probably works, I've never tried it. No strings or anything required for knockouts.
Hope this helps.
>>
I live in Maryland so that's a zone 6 or 7 area. I'm trying to find a good plant that can survive in a planter all year and not have to be brought in during the winter.

I'm tired of dealing with the miniscule mulch beds near my front door and want to just lay some decorative rocks and put planters in each instead. Also want to build some large planters on my deck.

I'm also looking for some cat safe indoor plants that don't require any direct sun light. I had a wandering jew and peperomia that were supposed to be great indoor plants but they're on their last leg.
>>
File: CAM01204.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
CAM01204.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2397852

ey no problem man, the more the merrier here.
I have never owned petunias (same with the edibles) but some african violets might be nice to have there, and they thrive in decent indirect light, also is a very easy plant to grow, or a rhododendro if you like something more bushy (with this one it must be a decent quantity of indirect light, or with your climate it will burn).
If you like orchids go with Dendrobium/Vanda/Cattleya, those are really nice to begin with (especially dendrobium) and they wil do just fine with the heat and the indirect light.
Also there is a guy from spain who always posts his awesome collection of carnivores here, you might ask him given that you guys share the climate.
Pic is dendrobium moschatum, excellent for medium to high indirect light and it can grow very fast and reach very big sizes. Contra, you gotta buy an adult plant if you want flowers right away, and D.moschatum is know for its slow maturity
>>
>>2397859
Thanks for the tips and advice. I'll make these the best damn roses in my neighborhood.

I've been wanting to start beekeeping but i'm not sure if i can do it on my property, I'll have to check that out.
When I was taking my dog outside I saw a bee go into one of the roses, I picked it up to look inside and it was going crazy on the inside. Bigger bee than I thought too.
Bees are cute. Cute!
>>
>>2397851
That's not a rose bush.
Hydrangea maybe?
>>
File: aha2.jpg (508KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aha2.jpg
508KB, 1920x1080px
>>2397875
Thanks again! I spent some time looking into the plants you suggested, you gave me some great options for flowers! I'm wondering, though, how do I go about finding specific flowers? My initial plan for starting my garden was to go to a plantshop and pick from what they have on display. I doubt I could find e.g. african violets on the spot. Should I look into ordering specific plants online?
I've also looked into orchids and how to care for them, I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting one or two. I'm intrigued though, how come they are considered so special?
Pic is another one from the botanic gardens, Glasgow. Pretty amazing collection. Unfortunately I didn't get to see their carnivorous plants, I'll keep the spanish guy in mind for that! I'd love to have a fly-eating plant on my window
>>
>>2397955
>>2397955

Wow thats a very beutiful garden.
A good piece of advice would be to start in a green house asking for native flowers of couse, but things like the violets, rhododendro, lilyes or chrysantemus are very wide spread, and all of the have very beutiful flowers.
As for the orchids i cannot really tell you why, i guess that it has to be because they look oddly, their flowers are alien like, even the roots look weird. And there is also that thing where they attach themselves to barks like in pic related (maxillaria juergensii), which is really neat.
Im not being objective truly, i just love them
And finally for the ordering plant i dont know, you should ask that to someone in europe, i m not familiar with sites from there.
Best of lucks with that dude
>>
File: IMG_20170531_125728.jpg (2MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170531_125728.jpg
2MB, 2976x3968px
>>2397975
sorry forgot pic
>>
>>2397859
>>2397884
Are you sure those are knockouts? Do they smell?

Good advice. Although those roses are doing much better than mine the bigger one needs some pruning. It will look better and reduce aphids and black-spot. If they don't smell its probably a knockout a just prune at will. If its hybrid-T or similar read a guide on pruning is your best bet but its better to have someone show you in person. Most roses will produce growth that will never bloom.

if you live in a close or typical trailer park nobody wants bees that close to them.
>>
>>2397873
most of what you can do are going to be your typical perennial flowers or bulbs. Yarrow, asters, maybe tulips. Some elephant ears. Try to find bulbs that are hardy the zone above you.
You will still have to mulch over or something if its a rough winter. But mostly when you see a big planter its annuals or something someone is dedicated to bringing inside.
>>2397955
different adnon but I have lots of african violets. most people can't keep them alive outside because of insects and rain. They are easily overwatered. If you do get one you are probably better off getting the one they have at a big box store because if you picked a fancy one out online it will be seriously hard to grow. I'm not trying to discourage african violets I love them but I don't want you to be disappointed because the awesome ones pictured online aren't beginner friendly.

IMO you may be better off going local because they will carry plants that are successful in your area.
>>
>>2397873
IIRC prayer plant does well in indirect light. Boston fern and spider plant are both low maintenance and cat safe.

Peace lily is a very, very hardy plant, and quite pretty. It will be listed as toxic to cats, but the toxicity is from oxalate crystals, which are more of an irritant than anything, and aren't dangerous unless your cat manages to choke down half a pound of leaves or something. I have one and my cats learned to stop scrwwibg with it after chewing up a couple of leaves.
>>
File: IMG_20170602_114741.jpg (2MB, 4096x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170602_114741.jpg
2MB, 4096x3072px
>>2397830
Thats just one tray..
>>
>>2398306
Why the heck do you have so much mint?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170604-153720.png (503KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170604-153720.png
503KB, 720x1280px
Should I buy this?
>>
>>2398367
Are you on AliExpress?
>>
Sarracenia finally growing
>>
File: aaa.png (3MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
aaa.png
3MB, 1836x3264px
>>2398370
Wait hold on that's not a sarracenia...
>>
>>2398368
Yeah, apparently blue flytrap seeds are a thing in China.
I want to know what the fuck are they actually.
>>
>>2398374
I hope you like mint as much as

>>2398306
>>2397699
>>
File: fgs.png (773KB, 942x811px) Image search: [Google]
fgs.png
773KB, 942x811px
>>2398374
>>2398367
:DDDDDD
>>
>>2398379
I better kill my dentist now
>>
Thinking about getting some Clematis for a south facing balcony to provide a bit of privacy. Any tips?
>>
>>2398390
Cletus does best on a south facing porch with a shotgun and a beer. A wooden chair might be necessary too.
>>
>>2397851
>>2397888
looks like a liliac to me
>>
File: IMG_20170604_092758.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_092758.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
I impulse bought a pitcher plant at an auction. It had a "care guide" with it that I figured I could follow, but it turned out to just be a short physical description of the plant. It's labeled as Sarracenia alata, and there's a small butterwort in the planter with it.

I don't really know much about either one. I've read that butterworts don't need RO water, but that Sarracenia do. Can I keep them in the same pot? Do I need to repot them soon? What kind of soil should I use? Do I need to put them outside?

Right now they get about 90 minutes of morning sun and 10 hours from a power compact fluorescent. I've been using RO water for them and have the pot sitting in a little less than ½ inch of RO water in a tray.

Sorry if these are all noob questions, and thanks in advance for any help.
>>
File: IMG_20170604_092916.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_092916.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
My peace lily bloomed for the first time since I got it 3 years ago.
>>
>>2398532
Sarracenia really does need to go outside. They are full sun all day plants. Especially since it needs to go dormant yearly to live long term. Repot at the very start of next spring.
>>
>>2398532
I only know some pitcher info, but these are pretty easy. Soil should be a peat-perlite mix ideally (1-1), do not fertilize, only water with destilled/ro/rainwater.
More light is better, and like the other anon said, they need a cool season to go dormant, or they'll burn out in a year or 2.
Cut off dead pitchers when they are mostly black and/or brown, or you'll get mold quickly.
>>
>>2398532
Those are both temperate plants and should be grown outside if possible. If not, you need to put them in the fridge or in a cold room (light doesn't matter then) during winter months (November to February). Outside of winter just give them as much and as intense light as possible, and give them rain/distilled/RO water as you've been doing. If you want to put them in a bigger pot, you can plant them in moss or peat (which is moss that's been composted for hundreds of years).

The Pinguicula/butterwort has tiny roots so don't be afraid you've accidentally killed it if you ever take it out of its current pot.
>>
>>2398564
>>2398566
>>2398572
Thanks for the replies. I'll put them outside and start looking at a pot for them. I'm in zone 9b. It isn't going to get too cold for them?
>>
>>2398590
No, your pretty much in the ideal climate zone. You'll only need to protect them if it drops well below freezing for more than a few days in a row. In a larger pot even this isn't necessary. People have bogs gardens of these plants in places like New England which is in zone 5 and 6
>>
>>2398590
The pot they're in right now should do fine really, as long as they get slightly more protection from deep frost in winter. I don't know much about zones, but their normal climate is in zone 8, and lots of Sarracenia live and thrive in zones colder than that.
>>
File: IMG_201706155_030824.jpg (1MB, 914x1213px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_201706155_030824.jpg
1MB, 914x1213px
Beefsteak haircuts
>>
File: IMG_20170604_150720.jpg (680KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170604_150720.jpg
680KB, 1120x1680px
>>2398622
>>
File: inverted Colors.jpg (146KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
inverted Colors.jpg
146KB, 720x1280px
>>2398367
>invert the colors on the posting
>reverts to green plants in a red pot

I guess originality is too much to ask from internet scam artists.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170604-231001.png (125KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170604-231001.png
125KB, 720x1280px
>>2398689
I did it.
Well, for 37 cents I'll discover what wonders blue flytraps can offer.

>>2398590
You've got the perfect weather for them, just blast the with sunlight. Also Sarracenia do better with cold winters.
>>
>>2398729
enjoy your grass
>>
File: Real-Life-SMB-Piranha-Plant[1].jpg (104KB, 620x736px) Image search: [Google]
Real-Life-SMB-Piranha-Plant[1].jpg
104KB, 620x736px
>>2398367
>>2398689
>visit mercadolibre.com.mx, the local version of aliexpress or ebay.
>They are offering lithos salicola seeds.
>That's living stone plants.
>Pic related is the pic they uploaded into the listing
>Unapologetic claim those are carnivorous plants.
>The seller have sold over 50 buys.
>>
>>2398754
people buy it because it's cheap (>>2398729)
if you get 100 people to spend 50 cents that's probably like a week's wage in china or someshit
>>
>>2398754
I've seen those a bunch of times, on ebay and Amazon too.

>>2398762
The guy who posted earlier with all the mint supposedly bought hemp seeds.
>>
>>2398769
I just assumed he bought some feed hemp seeds and was calling it "mint" because of some no drug rule on the board
>>
File: Gerty Very Sad.jpg (154KB, 660x482px) Image search: [Google]
Gerty Very Sad.jpg
154KB, 660x482px
>mfw its so fucking hot in my Florida windowsill even my pet cactus died

He lasted a day. A DAY.
>>
>>2398840
>Cactus
>Dying
How?
>>
>>2398361
Maybe i want to flavour my tea.. Or have a nice decoration for a slice of cake.

You can never have enough mint my friend :^)
>>
Fucking leafhoppers.
>>
File: 8e8.png (8KB, 509x619px) Image search: [Google]
8e8.png
8KB, 509x619px
>>2398847
I managed to kill one as well
>>
>>2399211
How? I've been neglecting my cactus for a good 5 years now and it's somehow still alive. I fucking hate that thing, please help me.
>>
>>2398361
So he can meme on /csg/
>>2399216
I don't know, I over-watered it and it got eaten by mold, I didn't even notice it because the mold kept on spreading on the back of it where I didn't see it
>>
>>2399305

New thread lads (try and post a bit slower this time, fuckin' 'ell...)
Thread posts: 332
Thread images: 129

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.