[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I were to get a dog, is there a reason outside of price not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

If I were to get a dog, is there a reason outside of price not to feed it wet food?

I always feel bad for my friends' dogs who are restricted to dry kibble 24/7. I can't imagine what it would be like to eat Cheerios without milk for the rest of eternity.

Most of my friends' dogs that are restricted to kibble seem to pick away at their food, and leave it even as long as overnight. The other dogs that get at least some wet food or prepared human food seem to eat it excitedly.

I don't have a dog at the moment, so just wondering, were I to get one.
>>
Most commercial kibble is garbage made out of some grain or other carb. Eating cheerios without milk for the rest of eternity is exactly what it is.

I feed my dog only wet food and meat scraps from cooking, he eats it all up happily whereas with kibble I have to stuff it into his mouth one by one for him to eat it at all.
>>
My dogs get kibble and inhale their food down every time. I give them little tastes of my food but they never get anything more than that. I feed a decent brand (grain-free Fromm) and rotate flavors, so maybe that's why.
>>
>>2390510
Most commercial dog food is garbage, don't kid yourself.
>>
>>2390516
At least my wet garbage has meat in it.
>>
>>2390516
To add to this: wet food included.
>>
>>2390404
My dog eats kibble when he's hungry throughout the day and I makr him pasta with dinner scraps for dinner
>>
Wet food is more prone to contamination and recall than dry food.
>>
>>2390404
Dry kibble functions to clean teeth as well. If you were to just feed wet, your puppers teeth would decay at a faster rate. You could get treats and stuff to delay that, but it's much easier to just find a kibble it likes and stick with it. You could also mix in a scoop of wet with the dry as long as it doesn't make the kibble soggy. Nobody likes soggy Cheerios, right?

Also, familiarize yourself with pet food industry standards for the nutritional data on every bag of feed. They have to list ingredients in descending order from highest percentage component of the kibble to the least. That way you can make sure you're buying a quality feed rather than one primarily composed of chicken meal or worse
>>
>>2390530
So how fat is your dog and how many of his teeth are left?
>>
>>2390593
>Dry kibble functions to clean teeth as well.

No it doesn't. You can google this, it isn't true. I'm not sure why anyone would fall for this. It's like saying you can quit brushing your teeth if you just switch to a diet of only tortilla chips. If you want your dog's teeth to be clean, brush them.
>>
>>2390597
I may have overstated the effectiveness of kibble in maintaining dental health but there certainly is a correlation as made evident in this study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18309857

Obviously brushing teeth is the most effective way to clean them, but I don't think it's rational to compare the effects a dog's diet can have on their teeth to a human considering the profound differences between them.
>>
http://www.reviews.com/dog-food/

I feed my dog regular store bought meat once a week and she is fine. . . and store bought meat is a cheaper alternative (in regards of health) then corn-based crap.
>>
File: Comparison.png (59KB, 1117x818px) Image search: [Google]
Comparison.png
59KB, 1117x818px
>>
>>2390404

I just buy a little extra of what I'm eating and feed it to my dog.
>>
>>2390593
Kibble doesn't clean teeth enough for it to be beneficial. Many dogs don't chew their kibble enough for it to clean their teeth anyhow.
>>
>>2390642
Eh, according to >>2390602 if you make the pieces big enough to force them to chew, it cleans the rear teeth reasonably well.
>>
There's a lot of stuff in your kitchen that you can give your dog as treats or to just enhance their meal.

A good kibble will give them the basic nutrition thy need, and on the side you can do things like wet food, certain fruits and veggies, eggs, beef, chicken...

Just look up dog safe human food and don't over do it.
>>
>>2390404
Dogs don't really care what their food is or tastes like, as long as they have it, generally speaking. Store brand wet food isn't going to be anymore nutritious than the kibble, and you'll be spending a ton more for it. Feed a high quality kibble and you can supplement that with unprocessed human food. They can eat certain fruits and veggies, like strawberries and bananas. And you can feed them cooked meat as well like chicken, just don't flavor it.
>>
File: 20170526_101719.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170526_101719.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2390678
Pic related is a list of food/bad food for your doge. And a pic of my pupper attached.
>>
>>2390602
I agree with that anon that it does not clean it's teeth but I believe dogs(and cats) benefit from both dry and wet food. They need some crunching for their jaws.
We all have jaw muscles and if you eat slop for three weeks, they're going to weaken.
>>
Hey /an/ just bought a new home with about an acre sized yard, and one day hope to get a dog.
How much money should I save up, I was thinking that 10,000 at the very least would be correct right?
If I'm wrong feel free to educate me, I'm clueless as to how to properly care for a dog.
>>
>>2390709
2-2500$ set back for unexpected vet costs is sufficient. Sure there are procedures that can cost more, but probability should be taken in consideration when you are making financial decisions.
Kudos for you for responsibly planning ahead by the way, most posters here do not do this.
>>
>>2390718
>2-2500$ set back for unexpected vet costs is sufficient.
Alright cool.
>Kudos for you for responsibly planning ahead by the way, most posters here do not do this.
kek this is what actually made me stop myself from buying a dog and ask here.
Far too many idiots that """care""" about their animals yet can't afford them.
I just wanna be able to have a happy healthy dog in a few years, and I can wait till I have the means to provide for it.
>>
>>2390720
Do your research, and good luck anon.
>>
>>2390720
A pet is a thrall, nobody has any obligations beyond feeding and training it.
>>
My dad saves offcuts of meat and vegetables along with bones and cartilage and uses it to make vegetable stock. When my dog was still around he used some of the stock to cook meat for my dog. This was a regular part of my dogs diet along with regular dry food, occasional tidbits and treats and frequent small amounts of rice. I can't imagine feeding a pet any less. Eating the same food every day must be misery
>>
>reason to feed dry
Anal glands.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.