[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My family's 2 year old Labrador Retriever still displays

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1654.jpg (189KB, 1150x856px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1654.jpg
189KB, 1150x856px
My family's 2 year old Labrador Retriever still displays aggressive tendencies (growling from the belly, baring teeth, etc) at certain times, such as when he's feeling possessive over a toy. He's our first pet, and in retrospect, a better job could have been done training, but what's the best way to fix him at this point?
>>
sounds like ya super goofed

when they are buppes you routinely just take stuff away from them while they are enjoying it so they learn it belongs to you, not them, and if they are mad about it they can't hurt you
good luck when full grown doggar
>>
>>2389247
Contact a trainer. Seriously. The trainer I took my dog to said the worst case she ever dealt with was a lab that was toy and food aggressive. One day when the wife was trying to pull the lab out of a tipped over garbage can he clamped down on her arm and ripped it to shreds. Luckily for the lab the family was rich and nuts and didn't put him down, but the trainer loved telling that story because it was a classic case of "his aggression is no big deal, he would never hurt us" and why it's essential to address that behavior before someone winds up in the emergency room.
>>
>>2389247
kek this >>2389249
My dog would grow when he was a puppy whenever I would take food away from him. Same with toys. Before he reached 6 months he was eating from my hands. But whenever anybody takes away any toy from him he'd expect you to play with him
>>
>>2389247
Did you put a shock collar on you dog?
>>
>>2389249
>>2389439
So going with >>2389255
is my only option?

>>2389515
My mother is softhearted and thought the shock was "cruel", so no. Stupid, but is it too late to use it?
>>
>>2389616
I've never personally used one, so I'm not sure how true this is, but you can also put a shock collar on a low setting, or get a vibrating collar. But timing is vitally important with shock collars, so like >>2389255 said, it's best to contact a trainer.
>>
>>2389247

Don't give him any toys or attention?
>>
>>2389247

First, keep all the toys secure from the dude so he only has access when you give him access.

Next, don't feed the little shit on one of your days off, and use food as a reward to teach him the "out" command. Then do it again the same way the next day, if you have 2 days off, of course. Once he understands the command, let him play with his toys as normal, and every so often make him do an "out" and drop the toy, then reward him with praise and give the toy back to play with some more. Then just make him out when toy time is over, and put the toy away.

If he understands the command, and just chooses to ignore you, then you need to correct that behavior in a way that you're comfortable with and capable of, be it by simply snatching him up by the scruff, looking him in the eye and telling him "NO", or with a leash / choke chain correction, or an E-color, or by walking him to a corner and making him do an extended downstay. The bottom line is that the dog must understand you will not put up with his bullshit, and disobedience means unpleasant shit will happen.
>>
Unfortunately, my mother is being an idiot and won't consider a trainer, saying "He's fine, he'll never bite", and refuses to use the shock collar. I myself can't do a whole lot since I'm a currently unemployed college student who isn't at home all of the time. My brother's certainly aren't much help. Any good self-training methods or suggestions aside from >>2389707?

>>2389695
He gets plenty.
>>
>>2390200
Geez who fucked your moms last neuron out?
>>
>>2389247
Stop feeding food from the bowl. Take his food and feed him one kibble at a time from your fingers. Give him a amount in one sitting that the food bag recommends. He looks like a fatty if that's his picture, and that will help with weight loss too. Switch to a food that is grain and corn free and high in protein and he will not have to eat as much. If he itches or has red skin, grain free will most likely fix that too. Highly nutritious kibble = 1/2 to 1/4 of the serving of grocery store shit.

Whenever he relapses, go back to feeding him by hand one kibble at a time. This establishes more than anything that you are in control. It works even better if you make him work for his food. Get him to do any random trick or sit before he is allowed the food.

>N before No dog should feel any negative emotion ever!! Two professionals, a dog behaviorist and a dog trainer both told me this is what they recommend a lot to people.
>>
>>2389707
This is really good advice OP.
>>
>>2390200
>He's fine he'll never bite

Denial makes me scared he will bite. Because when they are out in public she won't catch on to his body language.

Tell her >>2389249 story.
>>
>>2390200
Put him outside and fuck his toy while he watches you through the window.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.