[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/pp/ pocket pet genera. Rats, guinea pigs, hamsters and other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1648.jpg (25KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1648.jpg
25KB, 600x315px
/pp/ pocket pet genera. Rats, guinea pigs, hamsters and other small mammals.

Didn't see one up and I haven been here in a few months. But onto my issue. I adopted 2 male rats. The previous owner said jack was aggressive and bit her all the time. Once I got them, jack was a little skittish. He would squeak when I picked him up, but no biting. Now, I can pick him up no squeaking or even struggling.

I have only had females prior to adopting. The boys (they are of course in a separate cage than the females) have recently started fighting. My girls would have little scuffles but nothing like these boys are doing. Jack has an open wound in his back. He had one in his neck but it seemed to heal up overnight a few weeks ago. The other male (Simon) has cuts on his face, tail and nuts. I'm worried because my females NEVER draw blood, let alone leave open wounds.

Is this normal? Should I consider separation? I'm taking them off tap water and giving them spring. I read the fluoride in tap water could cause thyroid issues which leads to hormonal issues which leads to aggression.

They are about 6-7 months old. Help?
>>
File: 14602076256024.png (88KB, 568x548px) Image search: [Google]
14602076256024.png
88KB, 568x548px
>>
>>2389195
Is there any way you could separate them but still let them see each other? Maybe with a wire divider?
>>
>>2389703
I could look for some type of wire divider. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but they are giving each other too many wounds. Do you think hardware cloth could work as a divider?
>>
My mother has been buying pet rats from the pet store ever since dad died. The previous few rats died after not even 1 year from tumors and health issues.

She currently has had a rat for just over 1 year and it already seems to have tumors on its belly and it might not live long.

Is this just a normal thing for rats? Do they just die after 1-2 years when you get them? Asking because my mother is gonna call me and be an emotional wreck if her last rat dies.
>>
>>2389883
Rats have a 2-3 average lifespans and ones bred for snake food tend to become inbred leading to increased tumor risks. So depending on how old it is when you get it, as well as the quality of the breeders producing them.
>>
>>2389967
Thanks for the reply.

That's really unfortunate, they seem too smart to live so short.

I have to figure out a companion pet for my mother that won't die in a year nor piss/crap all over the house. Any recommendations?
>>
>>2389883
Are they hooded rats? They're severely inbred tumor machines.

Try a plain albino sprague dawley male, dumb and still inbred, but far fewer health problems.
That is if you aren't scared of a rat longer than your elbow-fingertips with a medieval flail attached to it's ass and balls bigger than yours.

Don't buy hoodeds.
>>
>>2389883
>>2389982
>pet store
This is the problem, not the rats. I buy from for-health breeders and get 2-4 years out of mine.

Maybe she'd like rabbits? They can be litterbox trained and easily live 7+ years.
>>
>>2389989
Those are near impossible to access, there aren't even 150 people in the US with a good brood. You can expect a 200 mile trip in any direction.

May as well stick to Petco. Maybe they're buying from petsmart?

I hear you can adopt from labs too, but they're incredibly difficult to find, they hide their organizations away and keep low because animal testing attracts angry people. I don't know how to find one.
The breeders can't exactly mail the rats, so almost all of us have to deal with subpar broods and petstore bullshit, it's quite normal.
>>
>>2389992
Is that so? Guess I lucked out - I only had to drive a little over an hour both ways for my guys. Neither the Petcos nor Petsmarts in my area sell rats anymore, so I don't know where else people are getting them from. Used to see them all the time at the humane society; now they're quite rare.
>>
>>2389988
>hooded rat
yeah its a hooded rat, all 3 of her rats were. sad to hear they are inbred tumor machines...

The alternative sounds nice, but I'm not sure she'd want a "dumb" rat though or a male (She's only ever bought female animals so they are less aggressive). How dumb are we talking?

The current rat responds to its name being called, and it recognizes my voice and runs to me to climb up on my shoulder.

>>2389989
We've had rabbits, but many years ago. I'll ask her and see what she says.

I think she might shy away from rabbits, since she likes to have an animal pal sit on the couch in the living room with her while she works from home. I think a rabbit might tear up the couch or bite cables, maybe make more of a mess.

Am I mistaken?

She's an animal lover and she's owned a lot of animals in her life, she just has a special thing for rats.
>>
>>2390000
Yeah that's a hell of a distance. I'm not allowed to drive for my entire life because epilepsy, so I will never have access to a breeder and I guarantee I will die by getting run over by a motorist.

At least I know what's coming.
>>
>>2390002
How dumb? Not very, it's more of a perpetual state of blissful ignorance, I've only taken old spragues that were basically raised in prison, but I'm sure a young one will learn more as it grows in a free environment.

Lone males are NOT aggressive. They are lapdogs and bond to you fast, I doubt it's a good idea for a perfume covered female human to get near a male rat though, because THAT is guaranteed aggression.

Also her beauty products and ether laced smell water are what's causing the rapid deterioration of her animals. Don't tell me she knows better, all women do the same shit.

Clear the air and house of poison, soap, detergent, dryer sheets, air freshener, candles, perfume, cologne and scented deodorant.
Then you can get a male. I would tell you to be more careful with the current ones, but hoodeds and supporting their breeding is an awful subject, so I don't care what you do with them.
Sorry if I sound nasty, just trying to be clear.
>>
File: 1476240199620.png (715KB, 629x758px) Image search: [Google]
1476240199620.png
715KB, 629x758px
>tfw would love the idea of having a rat but I always get super attached to my pets and my heart shatters into a trillion pieces when one dies

How do you deal with the fact that they've got such a short lifespan?
>>
>>2390013
>Clear the air and house of poison, soap, detergent, dryer sheets, air freshener, candles, perfume, cologne and scented deodorant.

this sounds impossible. maybe a rat isnt a good idea
>>
>>2390013
>Clear the air and house of poison, soap, detergent, dryer sheets, air freshener, candles, perfume, cologne and scented deodorant.

I hear about this kind of thing occasionally on /an/, but
>have owned 7 rats, all intact males
>use soap, lotion, laundry detergent, deodorant, and scented shampoo like a normal human being
>occasionally wear perfume, maybe a few times per month
>if I put on lotion they lick the skin like a dog on peanut butter
>family likes using scented candles and incense but none is burned in rat room
>only time human bite has occurred was while breaking up an intro-gone-wrong fight
>rats lived to 4, 3.5, 2.5, 2, and 1.5
>rat that died youngest was adopted as hospice, already had golfball-sized tumor
>current pair had first birthday in late March/early April
>no health issues aside from brief URI during winter, resolved quickly with short round of antibiotics

Is this some kind of meme?
>>
File: IMG_20170524_221514.jpg (451KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170524_221514.jpg
451KB, 1944x2592px
Yall are forgetting the best pp this icecream cup are my two ferrets spaghetti (the one you can see) and meatballs (the chubster currently being smothered under spaghetti)
>>
>>2390030
having a breeding population
>>
>>2390058
i heard ferrets bite a lot and are completely nuts. is this true?
>>
>>2390069
Not at all its the same rules as a dog or cat you teach em to be mean and theyll be mean af mine are both rescues all of my previous ferrets were too it took meatballs about a year to figure out how to play he was an illegal breeder ferret but he got the snip once they found him. But just make sure you make it clear to them about no biting just like you would to a cat or dog
>>
File: 154.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
154.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2389195
Do not put guinea into pocket. Is bad for spine
>>
>>2390055
No, but companies like p&g are poisoning their products heavily, mainly with poppies and ether. This is hostile action due to perfume secrecy laws which let them put anything on earth into shit you purchase without telling you.
The fact that you smear the shit into your skin all day scares me. You're going to lose a kidney, friend.

>>2390050
It isn't. All doctor's offices, hospitals, and rat testing labs mock these conditions. If you can't get clean with hot water, chop your hair off and go from there.
If you think your washing machine is weak, you're wrong, I have never had a single odor come out after a plain water wash. Just certain stains.

Basically rats have asthma and perfume allergies. Treating them like they don't turns them into pissed off, grumpy messes.

When every single noseful of air you take in per day contains an extremely strong scent, you begin to deteriorate mentally, and 8 hours of this leaves you unable to do even simple multiplication problems, think clearly or keep balanced.
Ever notice how fucking retarded the "cool kid" in your school that doused himself with axe was? How he couldn't walk straight? How many times per sentence he said "uhhh" ? How he failed all his classes and dropped out?

Perfume is used to poison and dumb down the american public. Having a cloud around one really fucking stupid person that infects the entire area with stupidity and health problems is a great advantage for our government and globalist causes. Having dryer sheets and laundry detergent laced with poppy and other chemicals that spray out of dryer vents and damage an entire town's kidneys and lungs is also quite good for them.

Everyone talks about how fucking stupid Americans are, but could you point to why? I can. Why does this shit give me seizures if it's safe?
>>
>>2390106
[citation needed]
>>
>>2390106
>Perfume is used to poison and dumb down the american public. Having a cloud around one really fucking stupid person that infects the entire area with stupidity and health problems is a great advantage for our government and globalist causes. Having dryer sheets and laundry detergent laced with poppy and other chemicals that spray out of dryer vents and damage an entire town's kidneys and lungs is also quite good for them.
you have to go back
>>>/x/
>>
>>2390030
I don't know, the only time i cried over a pet was when i accidentally killed one of my mice trying to break up a fight. Other then that i never feel bad when i have to put them down or if they die in their sleep.
>>
>>2390116
>>2390119
Not only do FDA shills live on /ck/ defending the addition of poisonous chemicals to all wheat products in the US, but now they are on /an/ defending their perfume secrecy laws that DO allow ANY substance on earth to be added to your beauty products.

How do you feel about the same thing happening to your food via "natural and artificial flavoring" labels?

Do you have any idea what they could be putting into the shit you put into and onto your body? I don't believe you do.
Enjoy your naivety. Can't wait til public bans are instituted on perfume because so many people are having seizures from smelling it.

>defending letting your rat lick chemical, perfume and sunscreen loaded lotion
>/an/ - Animals and Nature
>>
File: IMG_201705145_072802.jpg (88KB, 320x285px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_201705145_072802.jpg
88KB, 320x285px
"The law does not require FDA approval before they go on the market"
"Companies and individuals who manufacture or market cosmetics have a legal responsibility for ensuring that their products are safe"

Fucking LOL. The FDA requires companies to self regulate. You really have no idea how deep this rabbit hole goes guys.
>>
>>2389784
Hardware cloth would work well. At the very least they won't get lonely since they won't be completely alone, but at the same time they wouldn't be able to fight.
>>
>>2390179
I agree that letting a rat lick lotions off of you or exposing them directly to harsh perfumes is terrible and owners should not be wearing odorous chemicals around their rodents because it may induce emotional problems and respiratory illness.
However I find issue with your claims that because the government allows for self regulation it automatically means that perfumes and cosmetics are harming the population mentally. At most they are harming the skin and can lead to certain kinds of cancer depending on carcinogens. Unless you can provide proof that humans are mentally affected by these chemicals beyond immediate stimulated response (meaning that the study proves perfumes and cosmetics have lasting damage) then you are making assumptions based on anecdotal evidence and comparisons to behavioral evidence in rats - which is not wholly analogous to humans, it only suggests the possibility that the chemicals may prove harmful, but is not irrefutable.
Also people sweat during the day. A lot. Unless you are running hot water over yourself to wash away the sweat and bacteria every few hours you will start to smell. Maybe if you live in an area which is cold 80% of the year you could get away with no scented shampoos or soaps but the majority of people live in temperate to tropical climates.
>>
>>2390179
im not a schill, i just wanted some links.

the way you said "Perfume is used to poison and dumb down the american public." is way different than saying companies self-police, so there might be a company that doesn't follow the rules
>>
>>2390179
>>2390199
>>2390055 here. Cool your fuckin' jets; there is no "letting" my rats lick the lotion. I use it frequently because I work in a medical field, which necessitates washing one's hands a shitbillion times per day, My hands dry to the point of cracking and bleeding in the winter - which is a solid 6 months of the year here. The rats will still zero in on the area and lap at me like pint-sized puppies even if I've used lotion a good hour before handling them, whereupon I'll realize what they're doing and nudge them away or direct their interest elsewhere.
>>
>>2390199
>>2390205
>>2390306
Don't even bother. This guy has done this dozens of times before just to derail entire threads. It's always the same shit. Ignore him and post cute pocket pets.
>>
>>2390199
Olfactory reception has ALWAYS been known to induce physical reactions, especially ones where your immune system attacks your own body.

Allergies, old chap.
>>
Holy shit, my rat is not moving and is cold, but I still sense heartbeat. This shit is freaking me out.
>>
>>2390002
Rabbit sounds perfect for that (they're highly social and need to do what everyone else is doing) except you are right about electrical wiring -- it must be made inaccessible.
>>
luckily my mother's rat turned out to be ok, the vet said the rat isn't in pain and it can live a while with the tumors. She said she never wants to get another rat again (because they die way too fast and she can't handle it. she starts bawling for days).

>>2390800
i hope you took it to the vet

>>2391224
i will ask her about it. is it compatible with dogs & cats? because her mother might move in with her soon and she has a nutty Yorkie
>>
>>2391463
She was very old and sick. I was expecting her to die any moment now. She had more tumour than cancer museum.

I took her to the vet before, and vet said basically "I can operate on her if you want to, but you would just waste your money and cause her pain and it probably won't change anything"
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.