[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how emotionally advanced are dogs? can they feel complex emotions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_m8s4re8wNP1qhiwsqo1_400.jpg (34KB, 330x218px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m8s4re8wNP1qhiwsqo1_400.jpg
34KB, 330x218px
how emotionally advanced are dogs?

can they feel complex emotions like guilt/shame or jealousy?
>>
Guilt/shame? No.

Jealousy? Debatable, but potentially.
>>
I think they can know they did something they weren't suppose too.
Maybe jealousy, not sure. One dog seeing me give attention to the other will prompt said dog to try and get to me. Push the other out of the way. I don't think that counts as jealous as much as it is "hey he's petting us and I want to get pet too".

Firm believer dogs know they did something wrong though. Our recently past dog was famous for knocking over the trash can. We could watch her without her knowing as soon as she heard a door open or someone's voice, she'd haul ass real low and tail between her legs. Whether or not we could fronted her, we would know she was even just sniffing the trash because she would act very submissive and roll over, try to act all happy and cute.
>>
File: 120380-118513.jpg (457KB, 3000x2250px) Image search: [Google]
120380-118513.jpg
457KB, 3000x2250px
There you go
>>
>>2388637

Studies have shown that they have a sense of jealousy and fairness, tied to a limited counting ability.

You can try it out for yourself. Give one dog two treats, and the other three. The first one knows what happened and won't let it go easily.
>>
>>2389543
is there a cat version of this
>>
>>2388632
Of course they can. My dog used to jump between my mom and dad when they kissed trying to separate them.
>>
>>2389543
>hunger isn't on the chart
shit chart
>>
>>2389579
not an emotion
>>
>>2389543
Wouldn't contempt be after guilt?
>>
i htink they're smarter than we give credit for

i know science says otherwise and
>muh anecdote
but my dog, who i have never punished for anything i haven't caught him in the act doing
will drop huge "tells". if he's done something... abnormal. i always know just by the way he acts, even though i don't react

he also has shown a limited ability to plan
like he regularly baits my rabbit with his kibble:
he spits some kibble out on to the floor and lies in wait for her to come and eat it so he can chase her around the house

and one memorable time i went to the beach with him and he seemed to really enjoy the water, which he never does. until we got far enough out his eyes lit up and he bolted back to shore and ate a huge chunk of the picnic i brought before i could scramble back
i swear he planned that whole thing out
>>
>>2389568
Why would there be?

Cats aren't intelligent.
>>
>>2391345
Cats are probably more intelligent, they have a cerebral cortex consisting of about 300 million neurons whereas the dog's has 160 million. It's just that they adapt differently because they have a different goal in life.
When a dog listens to everything you say and a cat ignores you, one might ask himself who is the actually smart one.
>>
>>2391366
>t. google scholar
no one is buying your shit, kid
>>
>>2391366
I don't care about your retarded debate (and you obviously took the bait) but the number of neurons isn't necessarly indicative of an animal's intelligence
if it was, humans would be less intelligent than globicephala melas
uncultured swine
>>
>>2389568
It's just contempt.
>>
File: ss2.jpg (129KB, 500x715px) Image search: [Google]
ss2.jpg
129KB, 500x715px
>its the cat vs dog intelligents debate again
who cares. they both cant read, they're both dumb..
>>
>>2388635
>Guilt/shame? No.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ty5pBqFxtU
>>
>can they feel complex emotions like guilt/shame or jealousy?
yes
>>
>>2391321
It is
>>
>>2388635

Oh, they definitely feel guilt. Anyone who's owned a dog can tell you that.
>>
>>2391540

Anticipating punishment..
>>
>>2388632
Guilt for doing something they werent supposed to according to their owner and jealousy because they arent given attention from someone but shame is probably too advanced. To feel shame you would have to be aware that you're doing something embarrassing or socially unacceptable.
>>
My dog is just quite jealous when I'm giving my attention to my cats. I mean he jumps all around us and pushes his head to my hand. This looks like that.
>>
>>2388635
I am sure that they feel some degree of jealousy. When myself or anyone really pets my boy, my girl runs over and starts pawing at them and acting super cute so they pet her too.
>>
>>2388632
I think dogs can feel jealousy and guilt based on conditioning. Like for example, you can leave food anywhere and as long as the dog can see me, it won't get touched. as soon as I leave the room or have an extended blink, the food is gone.
He knows he isn't supposed to eat it or he would have eaten it while I was watching.
he knows there is consequences to his actions; which is what guilt is all about. do you think if you were raised 100% without any consequences for your actions you would feel guilt over anything?
>>
>>2391331

Write it down. This is how research is done.

I keep a training and day to day log of my puppy's doings. I kind of want to write a paper about her and, what I perceive as, her higher intelligence.
>>
How attached are pit-bulls to families? I have 3 small kids and need a dog to protect them when I go out.
>>
Jealousy is one of the first emotions dogs feel as puppies. They get jealous over food, toys and attention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JmeZXBaUFo
Jealousy in action. Everyone thinks that the guy next to him is eating something better.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.