[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok guys, I just got a new puppy and he's adorable One big

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Ok guys, I just got a new puppy and he's adorable

One big problem: after we'd already signed the paperwork, my wife learned that she'll have to start working much longer at her job. This means the little guy (pic related) is going to be alone for a whopping 11 hours a day

My wife's mom will come over to see him sometimes, but not every day

My question is, what can I do to help the poor little guy survive alone for so long each day? Also is there any way to stop him from whine-howling?
>>
>>2387280

For a puppy, especially such a little guy, I'd look into a dog walking service to come at least once a day, preferably more if it's seriously 11 hours on the regular. There's no way he would be able to hold it that long, much less do it without making noise.
>>
>>2387287
He has a little spot in his crate where he can go to the bathroom. So far he's 2 for 3 in using it properly

If I use a dog walking service for the days when my mother in law can't come, is once a day for 30 mins enough?

And can he be expected to get comfortable enough with being alone to not need a pet sitter at all? We devote almost all of our weekend time to him
>>
>>2387293
8 hours is really the max a dog should ever be left alone, and that is with extensive physical and mental exercise every day. If it's over 8 hours you should have one 30 min visit, and, over 12 hours, two 30 min visits.

One thing you two might be able to do is stagger your schedules, so there is overlap time and the start and end of day where one of you is home while the other works. Not ideal, but might save you the cost of a walker.
>>
>>2387280
Give him up, your situation has changed to the point that you can't adequately raise a puppy and it's unfair to the dog to force him to endure poor living standards, find a family who can give him what he needs

It sucks that your situation changed so quickly and you'll take a financial hit, but you need to do what's best for the dog. After that, look into adopting an adult dog that's more suited to your living situation.
>>
>>2387299
>>2387300
I'll likely use the walker for 30 mins a day

Once he's older, will he still need a petsitter?
>>
>>2387300

If a dog were going to be alone that long on a regular basis, I'd really question replacing it at all until things changed. Even a full grown dog is going to struggle at best with a schedule like that.
>>
It sounds like you got it through a shelter or something. They might take it back. Especially if you think your situation won't improve in a less than a year's time -- in that case just forget about dogs. Otherwise you'll have to chalk up money for someone to walk and care for it while you're out. You don't want a problem dog down the line.

As he gets older you can ditch the crate, but he'll still need the same amount of attention. Physical and mental exercise isn't something you just ``make up'' at the end of week. Kinda like sleep.
>>
>>2387319
What do you mean by problem?

I should also mention that he was in a much smaller crate at the shelter and they *never* took him out of it (we didn't find this out until after signing)
>>
>>2387322
Like he'll grow up all retarded with behavioral problems. He should be getting the shit trained out of him right now with socialization through walking. Like introducing him to new things, not actually dogs or whatever.

Really, pay for two 30 min walks at least until he's no longer a pupper. A good dog is 10-15 year investment that really pays off.
>>
>>2387327
We are training him. He already learned "go potty" which is pretty incredible. It seems like my mother in law will come play with him for an hour or two until he gets older (she has crazy in laws who she needs to get away from lol)

I know he's happier with us than at his previous shelter, but I never expected to leave him alone so long...
>>
so you are dumping a horrible creature that is a baby dog to a third party basically planning to waste at least half a year of their life just because
- hysterical untrained dog who is afraid of blacks in hats with beards, thunders, who barks, chases cars, pulls, can't be trusted off leash, not sure around toddlers etc etc etc
- the third party hates your guts
- rip the whole family
Give away your puppy!
>>
>>2387346
He won't be untrained, thankfully.
>>
>>2387329
I mean, it sounds like you already know what you -should- be doing. I'd personally play it safe for the first year until you know him better. Overestimate his wants and needs; baby him. It's hard to make a smart move under incomplete information. After you've been together for a while, you ought to know exactly what you can get by with. Hopefully your situation improves.
>>
>>2387359
Thank you. I'm really hoping we can make it work...
>>
I really think you should re-home the puppy.

These first few months of a dog's life are very important to their development, training, and bonding, and if you're not going to be able to personally invest a lot of time into the dog during the week days it will be alone for 11 hours, why have a puppy? It's a pretty big red flag if "we can make this puppy work if we have two separate individuals help raise it for us" one of which will cost you money. People are unreliable sometimes. I wouldn't want to rely on that. A 30 minute walk each day isn't going to cut it either. The puppy is going to howl and cry when its been left alone for a good part of the day. When you get home it's going to be bouncing off the walls for attention and play and you both will be tired from work and ready to settle down for the evening.

You can always get another puppy when its more manageable for you both so please don't force it just because the puppy is adorable.
>>
>>2387378
I'm inclined to agree with you

It seems like my mother in law (who lives close and was a veterinary assists for many years) is willing to go see him every day. Do you think this will allow us to keep him? We live in Tokyo, so re-homing is actually quite difficult (and most shelters range from bad to worse, even the non-kill ones)
>>
>>2387381
Well, if your mother in law is serious about visiting him every day until he's much older then there is a potential it may work. This would take a large commitment on her part though, since she'd probably need to stay for an hour or two at least to keep him from feeling so cooped up. Does she know good ways to properly train a dog? It would be really helpful if she's good with training so that his interactions are consistent with her during the week and with you and your wife when you're both home.
>>
>>2387386
She seems to. Just watched her on our doggy can and she was great with him.
>>
Being such a young puppy and since you are away for so long I think doggy daycare would be best. The dog needs to be taken outside every hour. Pretending the dog is house trained, they can only hold it for one hour for every month they are in age. For example, a 3 month old potty trained pup can only hold it for roughly 3 hours before pissing itself. This stops around 8-10 months. A doggy daycare will try to teach your dog to shit outdoors (they don't want to clean poo either) along with other behavior and they socialize dogs with owner permission, and since you have a puppy I know for a fact he will get the attention he needs.

I'll tell you one thing. He won't be house trained with your current setup. You think he's trained now? Wait until you hit the 2 fear stages, the regression stage and the rebellious stage in puppies! Training is not a one and done deal, it's a life long process that can be forgotten. If you don't believe me look up puppy regression and puppy fear stages.

>>2387293
Oh fuck, teaching him to shit in the crate is fucking awful. Like worse than puppy pads. If he ever needs to be crated or kenneled you're teaching him to shit in it and be ok with sitting in shit. This is stuff that puppy mill dogs do.

>>2387293
>All of our weekend
Unfortunately you have the dog 7 days a week, not just the weekend.

>>2387381
Japs are such fucking superficial cunts. I've seen their shelters before, they are full of purebred poms, Shiba Inus, chihuahuas, malteses etc because they get these fad dogs, then a new fashion accessory comes along. Fucking disgusting people.
>>
>>2387293
>He has a little spot in his crate where he can go to the bathroom.
you really should not encourage him to use his crate as a toilet.
>>
>>2387280
Your wife needs to quit her job or go on leave until your puppy is old enough to be left alone. That's what my wife did when we got our dog and he is now amazing. Just spending every minute with the dog makes them so in tune with you and humans in general.
>>
>>2387535
Oh nevermind. I just realized you're fucking Japanese. Fuck you dude. You just got that dog so you could eat it. You don't care about it. Fuck you.
>>
The puppy looks uncomfortable, the crate is much to large, why is the a piece of plastic trash on the floor, and why the hell are you trying to force it to shit where its food and water is? You don't keep your food and drinking water next to standing shit, do you? Find a better home for the poor dog, moron.
>>
>>2387280
Throw it in a Sarlacc Pit or find someone who has the time for a pet to take it.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.