[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'Tis the fuckin season, lads. Within ten minutes I had

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

'Tis the fuckin season, lads.

Within ten minutes I had seven on me. No bites but I drove home in my underwear.

What's the best prevention for dogs these days? One dog already has Lyme despite having had been on Frontline. Does normal bug repellent work for me? Since I don't want them on me either. Is there a human medicine I can swallow that keeps these fucks off me too?
>>
>>2386249

I use a tiny bit of cedar oil on their collars or bandanas. I mean 1-2 drops in 500ml of water, soak the collar. It can irritate their skin otherwise. Always check the dogs after a walk thoroughly.

For people, I really like the Off Deep Woods, it helps a lot. Soak your socks, and shoes with it. Always wear a hat as they often fall from the trees.
>>
File: lonestartick3_insectimagesorg.jpg (123KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
lonestartick3_insectimagesorg.jpg
123KB, 1200x900px
>>2386249
>What's the best prevention for dogs these days? One dog already has Lyme despite having had been on Frontline.

We use 'sentinel spectrum' and 'nexguard'. I think they both overlap for tick killing.

>Does normal bug repellent work for me? Since I don't want them on me either.

Yes bug repellent works on you. There's DEET, picaridin(sp?) and lemon eucalyptus. Most people may tell you to use DEET. There's also permethrin type sprays which you spray on your clothes.

>Is there a human medicine I can swallow that keeps these fucks off me too?

Not that I know of. Someone might tell you to chew garlic or something.
>>
>>2386255
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. One dog is black and the other is all fluff so it's hard to see if anything is crawling on them. I brush the fluff but there's so much of it I can miss something.

>>2386259
I'll look into those. Last year there was a thread like this and some people were swearing by some other meds for dogs but I can't remember the name, sadly.

Also does anyone know if I dog can 're-get' Lyme? Or a new tick with Lyme, would it further the disease?
Two of our dogs had it, one recently died due to a bad heart. For their Lyme they do/did get checkups and two vets told us that their 'levels' were very low and did not require any medicine or treatment since it wasn't affecting them. Can't say I understand Lyme very much aside from a childhood friend with tubes in his arms due to it and a very skinny white german Shepherd.
Should my current Lyme dog be getting some sort of medicine to prevent it from getting worse? Seems like a really shitty disease and I'd like to prevent what I can.
>>
File: tfw rare on the other side.jpg (195KB, 664x374px) Image search: [Google]
tfw rare on the other side.jpg
195KB, 664x374px
I fuck around in the woods all the time, I go off trail every time and rut around in the underbrush as I squeeze my way around and blaze new paths

I've never gotten a tick before.
Are there no ticks in my woods or have I just been retardedly fortunate? never even seen one before in person

pic related. Do ticks live in this kind of place?
>>
File: soft-bodied hydro tick.jpg (909KB, 1660x1254px) Image search: [Google]
soft-bodied hydro tick.jpg
909KB, 1660x1254px
>>2386526

Of course there's ticks in water! What, you thought you were safe?
>>
>>2386526
Same with me. Where do you live? I grew up in Western WA and never saw a single one.
>>
>>2387338
long island! I always hear people talk about being careful of them, but I've never seen one
supposedly a girl I know found one in her vagina after it had been feeding for a few days
>>
>>2386526
As OP and someone am who as previously lived where ticks SHOULD BE but never got them there - I dunno what. I moved a few years ago and previously for years, never saw a tick yet two dogs got lyme despite all the signs in the woods warning about ticks. Never had a or saw a tick in NJ. Dogs got them there. Here in NH, I see a ton of ticks.
>>
Nexgard or Bravecto. Costs a bit, but haven't seen a tick in ages. There's always coupons at the Humane Society. I gave up on everything else. Topicals like are disgusting and largely impotent. Treating the lawn doesn't fucking work.

>>2386259
They don't overlap for tick killing. A note for OP on Spectrum. Milbemycin oxime and praziquantel are dewormers, so you don't want to double-dose if you already have a drug. Lufenuron only prevents fleas from reproducing. Generally, you'd have nitenpyram handy to kill fleas (for 48 hours) if you want to go that route for flea prevention. It doesn't kill ticks. Also I have to wonder if it needs a prescription since it treats heartworms.
>>
>>2387349
She must be a disgusting person.
>>
I'd just like to say you should be careful when it comes to ticks, my father was diagnosed with lyme in NW Washington where it is believed to be nonexistent and can now barely walk due to neurological problems caused by one tick bite from skining a deer leading up to this point. In short ticks are the devil in disguise and you should be put on antibiotics or have one tested immediately. My father's life has been forever ruined and it still makes me cry when I remember how he could do a triathlon ~8 years ago and now he's almost to the point where he needs a wheel chair. He and many others believe it will be the next epidemic.
>>
I know that your talking mostly about dogs but I just wanted to say that
Because lyme will soon be a human epidemic even if you dont believe me and laugh at me think about it.
>>
>>2387387
No one is laughing at you. Most dog owners know ticks are nothing to fuck with.
>>
>>2386249
This is why I rarely go into a field in the summer or spring if I do then I were pants
>>
File: IMG_2564.jpg (216KB, 610x446px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2564.jpg
216KB, 610x446px
>>2386249
I guess we have two reasons to stay inside
>>
>>2387429

Yeah dude pants, stellar protection, they totally can't climb those.
>>
>>2387383
I had lyme for years before it got diagnosed and I was exhausted all the time, my nerves weren't preforming right and I woke up with bell's palsy one day. Couldn't feel or move one side of my face for two months, I was scared to death it'd never get better. The disease itself is really awful and once it progresses to the levels you are talking about, the damage has already been done. You have my sympathies mate.
>>
>>2387519
I had something similar happen to me, but was tentatively diagnosed with MS. What does it take to rule out lyme? I have a big pile of past test records, but can never reach my doctor to ask.
>>
>>2387543
You have to send a test to a specific facility in California. It's expensive but the rate at which they correctly diagnosed if you do or don't have a form of lyme is much greater. Lyme and MS are commonly confused when it comes to diagnosis my father (same person as before) was diagnosed with a range of diseases like MS, fibromyalgia, etc. before sending a test to the aforementioned facility in California which specializes in lyme. Time is what got my dad as it is a very poorly understood disease that can do much more harm then most think when given time due to a incorrect diagnosis.
>>
>>2387436
They aren't stellar protection when skinning a deer
>>
>>2387563
>expensive
Damn. Ended losing my past two jobs because of it and am dead broke atm.
I know I had a spinal tap, two MRIs to see if copaxone helped, a bunch of general blood tests, and a negative test for some rare genetic mutation.
Fairly sure nothing went to California though.
>>
When I was a kid my room was the filthiest in the house because I rarely cleaned it. We lived next to a lake and let our dog out by it. Eventually, dog ticks were brought into the house and they only infested my room. I lived and slept with ticks for weeks. I was on edge constantly, looking for them on my body and in my bushy hair. Eventually, we nuked the house and I never saw any again. But, I never got any of those diseases and wasn't even bit once.
>>
>>2387375
definitely a whore
she probably didn't feel it because she had her uterus scraped too many times from all those abortions
>>
>>2386526
It's highly regional in my experience.
I go to uni in upstate NY and go innawoods all the time, have yet to get a single tick. Walk around in my back yard in Connecticut? You'll get 2 or 3 on you.
>>
>>2386562
H Y D R O T I C K
>>
>>2386526
live in NJ go in my backyard and get like 4 on me. but my entire live if i go fishing or something i'll be the only one to get them. they are clearly more attracted to certain people. kinda like mosquitoes swarm one person.
>>
>>2386526

PA fag here and I go to ANF all the time. I've gotten 2 ticks in my entire life. Both times I was wearing sweatpants.
>>
File: ticks07.jpg (46KB, 450x366px) Image search: [Google]
ticks07.jpg
46KB, 450x366px
>>2387651
Upstate NY here. Honestly got a tick on me walking to the god damn mailbox. NY is known for deer ticks and is actually one of the states with highest percentage of Lyme disease diagnosis. Pic related. I have already got Lyme disease though so jokes on them
>>
>>2388910
>they are clearly more attracted to certain people
[citation needed]
>>
>>2386562
I've always been more afraid of leeches than ticks, even though they are cleaner. They just freak me out
>>
>>2389122

You don't take baths? Ticks have to be on you a pretty long time to get Lyme.

I've always known fairly quickly. They itch and burn and your clothes tend to catch on them.
>>
>>2386249
Im kind of scared of ticks. When my little brother was 11-12 he had a tick bite him, right on the head of his dick. He got Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from it too.
But disease from the thing or not, having one on his dick, having to remove it, yeah i kind of just straight up gear ticks now.
>>
>>2386526
>>2387358

In NJ I only noticed about 4 ticks on me in 20 years. Lived innawoods and worked outside. Lots of signs in the woods warning about ticks and two dogs got lyme without ever seeing the ticks.

Here in NH and Mass there are fucking everywhere. Got a few in Maine as a kid but in the past two years I have yet to get one in Maine.
New England seems like tick central. Anyone know why? They're been fucking you our moose pretty bad. I've read that the sudden hot days between the cold ones in the past two months have made them come out in droves.
Are they common in dryer parts of the country or do they really like this shitty wet, humid climate in the spring and summer?

>>2387383
>>2387519
Sorry to hear than, anon. I had a childhood friend with Lyme but all I remember is disgusting tubes in his arms. Not sure how or if it's affected his life since we were 12.

>>2389170
>Ticks have to be on you for a long time
Do they? I've always been told not to squeeze their abdomen and pinch them off at the jaws so they don't puke Lyme into you or some shit. Doe it really matter how long they're feeding?

Slightly related but some of my worst nightmares I've had was just being covered in millions of throbbing ticks. I've been carrying bug spray and haven't noticed any on me on the past few days but Monday the ones I found on me made me have a mini crisis and strip in a parking lot before driving home in my briefs. Usually fine with bugs but not ones that can give me diseases.
>>
File: 99999 percent AAAAAAAAA.jpg (424KB, 514x836px) Image search: [Google]
99999 percent AAAAAAAAA.jpg
424KB, 514x836px
>Walking innawoods
>Giant field of chest high grass
>No way around it
>>
Are swollen lymph nodes in the neck a common symptom of a tick bite or am I dying of something else?
>>
>>2389170
I shower daily. It's actually not true that they need to be on a long time. There are a few hundred strains of Lyme disease and they can act differently from each other. There have been multiple cases of people contracting Lyme much faster than what the CDC reports.
>>
>>2389266
That's a symptom of Lyme. But so is going blind. Lyme disease can cause a variety of shit.
>>
>>2389122
>be northern MN
>take a 10 min walk w based doggo
>find literally over 30 ticks on him

Fuck these awful things
>>
>>2389266
It's a symptom of a ton of shit. If you knew you got bit within a month that of a tick, the bite is infected, you feel like you have the flue, lots of joint pain, etc go to the doctor.
Not sure how long it takes for Lyme to kick in but whatever.

To the anon who said you would know if you got bit by a tick, I disagree. Ticks I've found on me in the past and bit me, I didn't notice until I saw something or brushed it with my hand.
I felt the ones crawling on me the other day since my legs are hairy as fuck and felt the tickle.
>>
>>2389273

>it's not true because I say so, fuck science

If a tick wasn't on you for a day or two before the telltale signs show up, you had another tick and didn't notice it.

>>2389218

You don't squeeze them because of the puke, but that's simple infection and other diseases ticks might carry.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.