[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much do you spend at the vet? >Most expensive visit(in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: YWA4oRe.jpg (88KB, 598x599px) Image search: [Google]
YWA4oRe.jpg
88KB, 598x599px
How much do you spend at the vet?
>Most expensive visit(in one visit or needing multiple visits for the same problem)?
>Be it a checkup, vaccines, spay/neuter or otherwise like broken bones, cancer, skin issues, etc.
>where you are from?
>Do you pay out of pocket, carecredit or payment plans?

In general most visits cost me around $150 for just needing shit like antibiotics Nack in NJ. Here in New England I just spent $210 on getting an abcess drained on a sugar glider w/antibiotics. The anesthetic is what amped that up, costing $70. Not sure if that's a set price for all anesthetic since a sugar glider can't possibly need much but it all ended up cheaper than I expected($400) since I looked at reviews while in the office. Only exotic vet around that I could get a next day appointment so I didn't have a choice anyway.
Most expensive visit was $2000-26000 for an immediate emergency surgery but I was allowed to pay it off by paying $200 a week. That was also in NJ. Have never been allowed to make payment plans any where else despite they'd back me up to say I'm solid.
>>
File: happy_cow.gif (2MB, 273x253px) Image search: [Google]
happy_cow.gif
2MB, 273x253px
fucking nothing because my mother is a self-employed vet
>>
>>2374777
About $150 for removing two of my 13 year old dog's teeth and cutting out a benign skin growth. Never paid more.
>>
>>2374798
Nice.
>>2374837
Also nice. Vet wanted $600+ to remove a tooth from our old dog who recently passed away a few days ago. We couldn't do it though since shortly after accessing her tooth she found that she had a bad heart murmur and could not be put under to take out the tooth. I have yet to find a vet who charged $300 and under for dental surgery.
>>
>>2374777
$0 because fixing cats is free here. The last time I was at the vet for something other than that was when one of my GF's pets, "needed to go." I never take pets to the vet for any other reason. There's literally no point since I don't own genetically inferior pets and I know how to suture a wound and set bones.
>>
>>2374845
I don't have dental insurance. My only tooth extraction cost me $220. But, they gave me a local only. I can see why it would cost $300+ for an animal that has to go under.
>>
Most expensive visit was a little over $400. Dog had a sand impaction. That included x rays, pumping him full of meds and fluids, etc.

Last time I paid about $280 for a biopsy and some meds.

Usually I spend around $70 because we're usually in for something that requires meds to take home. General appointments are $55.
>>
Mine was just over $1k, but that's what I get for taking him to the vet school. They do great work and the students and vets are awesome, but it's ridiculously over priced.
>>
>>2374893
Forgot to mention that follow-up appointments are usually free, so I don't pay for recurring visits for the same problem.

I also just pay out of pocket. I have a large savings account and have no qualms about spending whatever I can to get to the bottom of a problem. I understand not everyone has that option.
>>
>>2374879
>Live in city
>Vet pays rent, staff to clean office
>Yuppies willing to pay vet $$$ to sedate fluffy and cut her nails and clean her ears
>Emergency canine surgery cost thousands
OR...
>Live in agrarian community
>Veterinarian has office in old barbershop
>Works out of truck
>Makes bank on cattle and horses
>Do dogs cheaply
>>
Pet health insurance for dogs has saved us thousands.Three athletic hounds.
Exotics?
I wouldn't know.
>>
>Most expensive visit(in one visit or needing multiple visits for the same problem)?
Never really had to pay too much for my dog; she's had a few issues but as long as we've had her she's never needed surgery. She's got arthritis though so we'll likely need to buy pain meds for her next time we go to the vet. :/

Cat has easily cost 150+ in a visit due to an infection in her neck and needing to have it sutured.
>where you are from?
Scotland
>Do you pay out of pocket, carecredit or payment plans?
Out of pocket, if I couldn't afford simple vet bills I wouldn't have pets - though if any of my pets needed emergency surgery I'd use a payment plan if necessary.
>>
>>2374945
What insurance? I can never really kind an exact company that has a solid pros and cons. I have yet to not be able to afford a visit but recently I've been trying to build credit just in case. Looking I to Care Credit but with no credit history it's going to take a year or so it seems.
>>
do all my own vaccinations except rabies. costs about $8 year for each dog.
use ivermectin sheep drench for heartworm protection instead of heartguard/vet RX meds. costs probably less than $5/year.
$10/mo for flea drops bought online (12pk of advantage, frontline, etc. works out to about that.)

they aren't required to go for anything except that rabies shot every 3 years. out of the 7 dogs i've had over the past few years, they seldom needed vet care. probably spent 3k overall between them for various emergencies/major things. Divide that up, it is about $450 per dog for "emergencies" throughout each dog's life.
>>
>>2374777
>enter thread eager to discuss land shrimp
>everyone's talking about health care like they're congress

Lame.
>>
>>2375008
no one is stopping you
>>
>>2374988
>sheep drench
What's the dosing table for dogs? The sheep one on the package warns about fatalities in dogs specifically.
>>
>>2375311
Collie types have a sensitivity to ivermectin and it may be fatal to them. I've never had collies or any dog I suspected had any collie (border collie counts, too) in them.

Besides that, if you're using 0.08% ivermectin sheep drench, the dosage is 0.034 cc per 10 pounds.
>>
>>2374987
Pets health iirc.
Doesn't cover regular visits, $500 deductible per animal per year; then they pay 90%.
So far they've covered two acl surgeries which don't come cheap.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.